The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another new MFD user over at Strobist

Craig Stocks

David Hobby over at Strobist just posted a blog entry explaining why he choose to move to MDF and plans to pass up the upgrade to a D4. You can see his reasoning at http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/01/bailing-on-nikon-d4.html.

It also prompted me to post the comparison photos I did right after I added the P65+ to my arsenal. I did a four way comparison using a Canon G10, a Canon 7D, a Canon 1DsMk3 and the P65+. For my purposes, I wanted to what happens when I photograph the same scene with each camera, and then size the file to make a 24 by 36 inch print at 360 PPI.

I'm sure people will complain about how I did the comparison, but I choose that approach because it was valid for what I wanted to see. Naturally, if you want to ask a different question, then you should use a different testing approach.

You can see my samples with roll-over images at http://www.craigstocksarts.com/medium_format. Naturally, there's a step up in image quality with each step up in camera, but each step up in camera is a roughly four-fold increase in cost.

johnnygoesdigital

Hi,
Thanks for posting these. I suspect many will comment on the method, but I would consider the lenses being used for this. You have a zoom lens with multiple elements in the 1Ds, and the 80mm LS for the P65+- (a very sharp lens indeed). Primes are always better at resolving, simply because there's less glass to go through.

N

nightfire

I'm a bit surprised by the 7D pictures, which are surpassed by the G10 and which basically look like mush. Being familiar with both cameras myself, I get clearly better results from the 7D with my shoddy 18-135 kit zoom, which I suppose is in the same league as the 18-55. However, I had to play around with the 7D's micro-adjustment setting to get the lens to perform optimally; maybe it would be worth taking the time to do this for your 18-55 too.

SergeiR

It was only a matter of time for David, IMHO..
Just following natural progression of getting best out of gear.