The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for panoramic stitching

tmh

Hi there

Newbie here just getting to grips with the right equipment - I used to shoot 4x10" film on a view camera for landscape and architecture and am now converting to a MFD kit for ease of use and portability mainly.

To get the panoramic format I'm intending on using technical camera shifts rather than panning. Therefore the Cambo Wide RS fits the bill and has a nice 40mm shift (-20/+20) horizontal and 35mm vertical (-25/+15).

In the search for lenses I've stumbled across the Rodenstock 55mm 4.5 which has an image circle of 125mm @ F11. With film lenses I'm used to ICs of over 350mm, but 125mm is great for a digital lens.

With a 48x36mm sensor, this lens would give 47 degrees of horizontal field of view, about the same as a 41mm lens on 35mm format, so not that wide.

However if using the full 40mm horizontal shift available on the Cambo WRS, I'd get a total sensor area of 88x36mm with 2 shots (8mm overlap), and therefore the horizontal field of view would stretch to 77degrees. About the same horizontal field of view as a 23mm lens on 35mm. Room for rise and fall is there too with the IC of 125mm. Perhaps I could also not have to stop-down to F11 to avoid diffraction. Maybe at F8 it would still cover?

I made the diagram attached, I think my workings are correct - have I gone wrong anywhere?!

I like the sound of the pixels available at 88x36mm of captured image!

Should I be looking at other similar lenses, that are available in the WRS panels?

Thanks in advance

TMH

yaya

Hi TMH, I think you've done the math right

Just thinking out loud...if budget allows and if you can stretch to a 56x36mm back (Aptus-II 10 or 10R) then you could get 96x36mm with a 16mm overlap, which normally helps the stitching with images that don't have too much detail in them (e.g. clouds).

Yair

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

tmh

Hi TMH, I think you've done the math right

Just thinking out loud...if budget allows and if you can stretch to a 56x36mm back (Aptus-II 10 or 10R) then you could get 96x36mm with a 16mm overlap, which normally helps the stitching with images that don't have too much detail in them (e.g. clouds).

Yair

Thanks - good to know my workings are OK!

As for the sensor, I'll be starting off with a 48x36mm whilst I learn with an entry-level back, and then move larger later.

You may find this helpful too for easily calculating movements etc:
http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/tools/alpa-tools/overview-lenses-image-circles-and-movements.html

Btw, I'd caution against using the full shift of the camera (i.e. 20mm L/R) because of the inevitable effects of lens casts and fall off with extreme movements. Personally I'd consider keeping the movements within 15mm or so to avoid the gross effects of LCC quality drop off.
Nice resource from Alpa - thanks for forwarding. As for movements, I did think that using the full 20mm might get me close to the edge of quality, even if it's well within the IC. I guess with 125mm to play with I should be ok with 20mm shift, but exercise caution if using any major rise and fall and therefore perhaps use less shift.

Thanks