The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Difference between Leaf and Mamiya branded Leaf Aptus II backs

tmh

Hi

As the title suggests, is there a difference between the Mamiya DM22 and the Leaf Aptus II 5 (22mp). Is it just branding or are there functionality / software differences?

The Leaf website shows all Leaf-branded backs, whereas BH Photovideo for example shows Mamiya branded backs only.

Is this just branding for different territories, or are the differences more substantial than the logo on the casing?

I ask because I've read in a few places there were no longer firmware updates for the Mamiya branded backs, only the Leaf branded backs. I'd want to ensure the latest firmware and GUI.

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11039
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10564

If anyone could shed some light that would be great

Thanks in advance

TMH

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
When MAC Group took over distribution of Leaf in the US there was a period where the Mamiya branded backs weren't in parity firmware wise. When the new-GUI firmware was released the software did not detect Mamiya backs as qualifying for the new firmware.

We assumed this would only be the case for a few weeks but it ended up being a few months. It was quite frustrating for everyone, but after a week or so of confusion (which seems like ages in internet time) we got clarification from Israel that this was only a logistical issue. After an annoying but in-the-grand-scheme-of-things-minor delay this was corrected and now both Mamiya and Leaf backs are in parity firmware wise and this will be the case moving forward.

So other than cosmetics the only difference is the warranty - the DM series is warrantied through the MAC Group in NY (in coordination with Leaf of course as they are the exclusive distributor for Leaf in the US). This is good news for anyone in this hemisphere as MAC Group has one of the best repair departments and fastest service turn-around times of any of the companies that we (CI) work with.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off