The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 4 and C1

Christopher

Well after I tried the Beta for a few minutes one thing was clear. LR4 is a winner. I don't want to talk about everything, but especially the Higlight and Shadow recovery is by FAR the best I have seen.

Please Phase One, please upgrade C1 soon, because C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files, but compared to LR4 the recovery slideres in C1 just suck...

( http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/ )

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well after I tried the Beta for a few minutes one thing was clear. LR4 is a winner. I don't want to talk about everything, but especially the Higlight and Shadow recovery is by FAR the best I have seen.

Please Phase One, please upgrade C1 soon, because C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files, but compared to LR4 the recovery slideres in C1 just suck...

( http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/ )
Notably Adobe historically has shown what's up their sleeves (via betas and conference previews) and Phase One historically has not.

I'm really looking forward to both Capture One 7 and LightRoom 4. We are really getting spoiled as photographers with software that is so far ahead of what we had even a few years ago.

I predict both will be great developments!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Lee Love

Lets face it Adobe has a lot more resources to put into Lightroom than Phase One, Leica or Hasselblad. It was a smart move by Hasselblad to partner with Adobe for support of the H4D with Lightroom.

Historically speaking hardware companies write lousy software and rarely are able to compete in the long run.

thrice

Lets face it Adobe has a lot more resources to put into Lightroom than Phase One, Leica or Hasselblad. It was a smart move by Hasselblad to partner with Adobe for support of the H4D with Lightroom.

Historically speaking hardware companies write lousy software and rarely are able to compete in the long run.
Leica are also partnered with Adobe and give a copy of Lightroom with the M9 and S2.

faneuil

I've tried to convert to religion of C1. But keep drifting back to C1 for processing and LR for heavy lifting (and PS for cake-icing)

My only bottle neck is that C1 export of TIFF files creates monster files and converting back to DNG in LR can take hours for a large shoot.
Would be nice if C1 could export DNG files that kept their 'C1 special sauce processing'

Eric

rga

Had a conversation with a friend today who suggested using CornerFix to perform LCC with my tech cam. Workflow we settled on was pretty much the same as the in field LCC workflow for C1, but the IIQ or TIFF files from the back would need to be exported as DNGs from LR for CornerFix processing and then re-added to the LR catalogue.

Can't recall if LR can read the IIQ or TIFF RAW files or not, but easily tested...

Anyone try this? Sounds like it may be a viable solution for those tech cam users who have grown up on CS/LR. Also avoids the huge C1 .tif file exports for further work in LR or CS.
Bob

schuster

C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files
LR3 and 4 open my IQ160 files. Are the IQ180 files a different flavor of IIQ?

But, that leads me to the reason I was searching for a discussion about the C1 > LR > PS workflow that many folks here use. I do that too, but thought it was because of my unfamiliarity with C1 (after eight years of FlexColor and Phocus).

Does pulling the file through three different imaging processors enhance or degrade the file?

What are the tools, or other aspects of C1, LR3-4, and CS5 that keep them in your workflow?

rga

C1->use LCC and Shadow/Highlight/Clarity/Exposure to get histogram right
-> Export to .tif (into session output folder)
-> Import to LR3 to catalogue only .tif files
-> Edit in CS5 through adjustment layers (never merge layers until ready to print = big files saved as .tif)
-> import .tif file from CS5 with adjustment layers (usually same file name with "MASTER" inserted in filename when saving in CS5)
No degredation as .tif files don't degrade... (pretty sure about that...)
Bob

LR3 and 4 open my IQ160 files. Are the IQ180 files a different flavor of IIQ?

But, that leads me to the reason I was searching for a discussion about the C1 > LR > PS workflow that many folks here use. I do that too, but thought it was because of my unfamiliarity with C1 (after eight years of FlexColor and Phocus).

Does pulling the file through three different imaging processors enhance or degrade the file?

What are the tools, or other aspects of C1, LR3-4, and CS5 that keep them in your workflow?

rga

That's why I use layers. I never alter the initial "background" layer; so you can always back up to it.

And of course you can always go back to the original IIQ file that has only been processed in C1...

With a TIFF, if you change the color values of a pixel (or pixels) and "Save", you've permanently changed the file. "Degradation" is perhaps not the term to use, as in repeated JPEG compressions, but you can sure as shooting alter a TIFF in a bad way. :( Been there, done that. Using "Save as" and creating a new file is a safer way of post-processing, albeit storage intensive, especially with IQ160 and IQ180 files.

Joe

Ztacir

İ use a tech camera with İQ180.İ love to use the power of LR4 with my raw files but İ have to shoot the so called LCC shots which İ have to process in C1.
İs there anyway that İ do the LCC correction with C1 and develope my raw file in LR4?
Thank you ,
Ziya

Steve Hendrix

İ use a tech camera with İQ180.İ love to use the power of LR4 with my raw files but İ have to shoot the so called LCC shots which İ have to process in C1.
İs there anyway that İ do the LCC correction with C1 and develope my raw file in LR4?
Thank you ,
Ziya

There is not. Lightroom and C1 have been very comparable in capability, though each offers some unique features they do better than the other. Right now, Lightroom is a full version ahead, however Capture One 7 will be released later this year. At that point, any preferential warm feelings toward Lightroom may change, once each program is competing on equivalent version levels.

Steve Hendrix

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
There is not. Lightroom and C1 have been very comparable in capability, though each offers some unique features they do better than the other. Right now, Lightroom is a full version ahead, however Capture One 7 will be released later this year. At that point, any preferential warm feelings toward Lightroom may change, once each program is competing on equivalent version levels.

Steve Hendrix
I guess we'll see ... only if there is a decent and effective implementation of local adjustment tools.

currently when I need to use C1 for various reasons, I usually render out a decent tiff, with decent detail in both shadows and highlights (fairly flat) and then work with that tiff in LR to get the final result I want. Works pretty good.