The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Battery life for IQ140?

Willow

When I shoot with my P1 IQ140, the battery in the DB last approx 250 exp.
This is in a warm studio.
Is this normal??
In a normal shoot 7-800 exp, I go thru 3-4 batteries.

I dare not think how it would be outside in cold weather .-)

Willow

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hmm, personally that actually doesn't seem like an unusual shot count, particularly if you're in the habit of chimping.

Willow

Thanks for the reply Graham.

For me 250 shots is about 1 hour of shooting.

So, you other guys with IQ140 and IQ160 have the same experience
with battery life?

I remember Guy wrote about the P40 and how looooooong
you could shoot on one battery!
I know the LCD and proc is much more power hungry on the IQ series,
but I think 1 hour is a little on the short side.

Willow

John Black

What is the definition of "looooooong"? :) In my P65+ the average is somewhere around 150-250 clicks depending on the amount of time taken to accumulate those clicks. It may take a week for me to do 200+ clicks. On the P65+, LCD usage definitely eats battery power, and given the IQ's larger LCD (more power?) and the touch-based GUI (probably leads to alot more usage), I'm guessing something in the 200 click range is probably on par. Maybe changing the auto review settings would improve battery life? I'm using 2600 mAh Phase One branded batteries. That is probably what the IQ comes with, but it's worth checking.

Willow

Thanks for the info.
I am used to D3x where you can shoot for a couple of days without changing batteries :).
I know understand an hour and 250 clicks are "normal" with the IQs
And I have the 2600mAh

Just have to buy more batteries :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I carry a bunch of batteries although mostly because of zero latency shooting & reviewing the IQ LCD for technical camera shooting. However, I doubt that I even could shoot 250 images an hour if I tried!

The D3x/D3 by comparison runs like an energizer bunny when it comes to batteries.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I shot 215 shots yesterday on zero latency with my Cambo and ate 2 batteries. I consider that pretty good considering the chimping, focus mask, highlight control and zooming to 100 percent. I have 7 batteries and my theory is if i ever shoot all 7 in one day I better be getting a crap load of money along with it. ROTFLMAO

Okay that was from a working Pro mentality trying to eat a meal. LOL