The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Camera Lenses... Characteristics of Rody and Schneider Lenses

P

photographist

I'm looking for advise on the practice differences between the R HR and Schneider XL/N series of lenses. Along with whatever you happen to find important in your work.

My rig is:
  • Cambo DS
  • Phase One P25 (though I expect to move to 45/64 in a year or so)

I do Landscapes, panoramas and some architecture. I'm curious as to how the Rody 35 HR compares to the Schneider 35 XL for instance. Any and all comments are welcome.

Thank you in advance and a belated Happy New Year!

Jeffrey
http://www.jvdkphoto.com

danlindberg

First of all, I am not a 'technical guy' so you will get more info from others (and maybe more accurate too).

Secondly, since I am using a Leaf Aptus II 5, it is considerably more forgiving to the lenses used compared to higher grade backs.

But this is my take;

The three major strengths of the Schneider 35 XL is that unshifted it is amazingly sharp, complete lack of CA and no visible distortion. A bonus is its compactness and light weight.
With my back, shifted 10mm it stays excellent, but after that, edge quality degrades. At 15mm shift, some would say its ok and others would not even consider it. Personally I would say that maybe 12mm is a well balanced limit.

The HR 35 you would like to compare it with has a smaller image circle of 70mm (35 XL -90mm image cicle). But what I have read the possible shift is not as big a difference compared with the 35 XL as one would think. The HR you can shift slightly further than it states and the XL you cannot shift as much as it states do to resolution falloff, so in real life I do not think the difference is huge in shift capability.
The HR is sharper wide open, if you use groundglass it is a huge advantage that it is faster.
However, there will be more issues with CA and distortion. Obviously it is larger and heavier.

I am sure others will fill in shortly :)

Thierry

That is basically a characteristic of the HRs, that they are sharp already wide open. And it is effectively an advantage for those needing it.

Thierry

The HR is sharper wide open, if you use groundglass it is a huge advantage that it is faster.

N

NROCH

I use a p45+ and have both a rodenstock HR 35 and Schneider 35xl.

Without any movements, the HR is sharper all the way through the image. Both lenses are good for 10-12mm, the XL can obviously go further because of the larger image circle but its sharpness falls off earlier.

The HR is easier to handle because of its size.

I need the 35XL because of certain jobs...the HR hasn't been used in 7 months.

N