The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to MF

T

tjtphotography

Hi. I am new to MF. I don't own any MF gear. Yet.

My motivation for looking into moving to MF is the extended dynamic range available. So...I have been reading and learning a lot. To cut to the chase, I have been trying to find out what a Phase One P25+ for Mamiya/Phase One 645 might cost and I have not found much information other than they appear to be scarce/in high demand.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I should be looking for price and availability?

Thanks!

Ted

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All three dealers are great to deal with and friends of GetDPI. Your in good hands with any one of them and suggest giving them a call Monday and check stock. The P25+ are getting scarce but the back alone would run in the 5800 to 7200 range. I loved mine when I shot it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The market is complex and there are many reasons for everything. But as an oversimplification...

The P25+ is not a current production back (it's no longer being manufactured). So the supply is limited to what's already out there.

Demand/Production wise:
Historically (e.g. when the P25+ was being made) the balance of H, V, C, and M mounts were fairly even.
Recently (since Mamiya and Phase One started working together) the balance has skewed far towards M-mounts

So there is a lot of demand (now) for P25+M units but a small number of P25+M units out there.

I'd have to agree with Lee Love - the DM28 includes (normally) a DF body and a Schneider 80mm LS lens for $11k. It would be warrantied, come with dealer support (very helpful especially for first time MF buyers), and represents IMO a much better entry level option.

The only exception would be if long exposures (>20ish seconds) were really important to your needs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

T

tjtphotography

Thank you Guy, Lee and Doug. I have taken your advice to heart. I am contacting the dealers as well as looking at the DM backs.

Ted

djonesii

Workshop Member
I shopped hard, and worked with a dealer, wound up with a P30+ rather than a P25+,

For me, it was critical to have a solid idea of what I wanted, an then the dealer pointed me in the right direction.

In hindsight, I was not thinking much about technical camera 2 years ago when I started my MF search, and the limits of the P30+ were not a big deal.

Now, I'm getting ready to go on a landscape workshop and I may really have to loose all hope!

Dave

djonesii

Workshop Member
working with a dealer

Dear forum ....

Just to be clear .... The decision that I make two years ago, in tandem with much good guidance from my authorized Phase on Dealer was the right one.

It was impossible for me to shoulder the cost/depreciation of a new generation back without micro lenses, and full frame, just because I might want to use a technical camera at some vague point in the future.

The P30+ is a great studio back for my style of fine art figure, and a pretty good location shooter relative to a Nikon DSLR, and that is well over 95% of my needs in the last two years.

My interests may or may not be shifting, and even if they do, I have a feeling that the "plain" old P30+ on my antique AFD-II will still smoke a D3X or 1DMKIV in the landscape world.

Dave

Geoff

Does anyone have suggestions on where I should be looking for price and availability?

Thanks!

Ted
Find a dealer, work with them. I wouldn't overlook Capture Integration just because they post on the forum. They are real standup guys, answer questions are helpful, etc., and I haven't yet bought from them.

There are other good ones out there too, depending on where you are.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I dealt with Capture Integration and they were great. They answered all my questions and got me my back very quickly. I went with the P40+ and I am dying to use is on the upcoming workshop.

T

tjtphotography

All,

Thanks for the information and recommendations.

Ted