The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Walk Around Tech Camera Case

rga

Hi all,

I'd very much like to try some travel photography, most likely hand held or monopod, with an Alpa STC, 35XL and Phase back. The Alpa will have a finder on top and one-shot cable. I will also be carrying a 5dII around my neck and a 70-200 on my hip.

So a long way of asking what folks use/recommend to protect such a tech camera setup for walking around. Ideally the camera would be on a strap (already have that) under one arm, so what I'm looking for is a protective case that comes off easily, but provides good dust and, hopefully some shock protection. Perhaps an Optechs pouch? Can attach to a belt that I can pull it out of easily? Water proof? Makes great coffee?

Really appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks,
Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This may be bigger than you are looking for but one of the few bags I've used that is big enough to hold Alpa with a viewfinder attached is the Lowepro Slingshot 302AW. You might want to look at the smaller 202AW if you don't need storage for anything more than just the body/lens/back. You might want to take a look at also the Think Tank Retrospective series too.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have another alternate to the tech cam bag. The Think Tank Glass Taxi which i hope to get a little review on today. Yea it is for long glass in 35mm but works really nice with our tech cams since it is about 8 inches deep on the interior. I also use a TT retrospective 10 which is a very small bag but you need to stack two lenses but can only fit the Cambo lens and back on with like a short lens like a 35mm which makes it limiting reason I went the Glass Taxi is i can put in bag with back body and a long lens like a 60mm XL plus two or three more lenses. I'm liking this bag so far and will post some images later

rga

The 302AW certainly can handle a LOT of gear!

I was thinking of just carrying around the STC with back, 35XL and finder attached; nothing else (other than perhaps a Color Checker and LCC plate).

I use the TT Street Walker Pro for hiking around; carries all my gear including the Max on the hip belt.

I'll take a look at the 202, the thread you mentioned and the Glass Taxi (looking forward to your review Guy!).

Thanks both,
Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob the Retrospective 10 or even the 5 would handle a STC, short lens and finder tell me that height i can measure mine for you in height

Shashin

I use something like a Mountsmith Tour or Day Pack lumbar pack with a padded insert to get the camera out of the weather. When the camera is around my neck, I slip a GoreTex stuff sack over it using the draw string to hold it around the neck strap. When I need to take a picture, I simply remove the stuff sack which also the the default lens cap.

rga

Bob the Retrospective 10 or even the 5 would handle a STC, short lens and finder tell me that height i can measure mine for you in height
Hi Guy,
That's very nice of you. It's 9"H (I want to keep the finger grip at the top) x 6"W x 6"D.

I have the TT Steroid Belt, so I might look at the Skin and the Keep It Up strap. I'm definitely a hip belt person as my back is bad...

I currently use the Street Walker Pro. Perhaps I can use the Keep It Up, Skin with Steroids! :ROTFL:

Best,
Bob

rga

I use something like a Mountsmith Tour or Day Pack lumbar pack with a padded insert to get the camera out of the weather. When the camera is around my neck, I slip a GoreTex stuff sack over it using the draw string to hold it around the neck strap. When I need to take a picture, I simply remove the stuff sack which also the the default lens cap.
Thank you. Good idea about the Gortex as lens cap/weather protector!