The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Could somebody slap me silly with back info please

Chris Giles

I'll be brutally honest in that I'm totally confused. I'm new to medium format and am loving using film right now but my goal in going MF was to use it for my portraiture ( www.booheads.co.uk ).

I love the framing of medium format and the Hassy's 6x4.5 is pretty much 8x10 and whilst film is a handy thing to use it isn't as convenient to me as digital.

So I went looking at digital backs and thought I was settled on a Leaf Aptus 22 with it's fat pixels and good skin tones it seemed the thing to buy....

....but can I find any anywhere used? Nope.

So this has led me to look at other options and to question whether or not I'm setting my sights unjustly on pixel size and skin tones and in turn ruling out perfectly good alternative options.

(I'm running a H1 btw).

For example, I can buy an upgraded H2 (to H3D) with a 39mp Hassy back for £4500 with an ISO range of 100-800 and sell my H1. Keeping the Film back I like so much. Ok so it's more but considering what the average 22mp back goes for it's only an additional 1k for 39mp and a body.

I'm also worried about buying a 31mp back with a 1.3X crop which whilst it would save me buying the 100 2.2 lens I've been looking at (I have the 80mm) the sensor isn't a whole lot bigger than the 1Ds3 and I would like to see a jump in IQ.

I'm rambling a little sorry. I just would like the best IQ jump in the most sensible way and to keep my film back. 16it files and no AA filter will be a plus regardless I know and I'd love to have one of each back here to try out for myself but that's not possible!

Last edited:

Pics2

That Dante's quote in the title is spot on!
I think you should try out various backs before you decide. Why do you say it was not possible? Find local dealers or other photographers who use it and try as many cameras and backs as you can. Even if you have to travel a bit around and spend some time, but it will pay off.
You can't buy 10 -20K equipment by just trusting someones advice on the internet.
Wish you best luck!

carl-b

Hi Chris

I'm not sure where you have tried for the back. Have you spoke to peartree rental in london? I think they are the only UK Leaf dealer. They might be able to help with options. Also not sure which one is older, but i think the 54s might be pretty much the same back as the 22.
Also they are listing the newer aptus -11 , 5 for £6195 + vat, if that is within your budget?

carl

Chris Giles

Hi Carl,
At this point in time I'm after used. I saw an Aptus 54s go for £3000 on ebay yesterday but the guy didn't ship to the UK otherwise I would of taken it. Similarly there's a P30+ on ebay for $5500 but the seller specifically doesn't ship overseas.

I even emailed them if it was ok to fly over and pay cash...no response. Probably thought I was a joker! :D

Peartree was one of the first places I tried, I'm on their waiting list for when a back comes in. Dare I say it I'm tempted to accept defeat and take a secondhand locked H3D system and keep what I currently have for film only. I can't believe how fast the prices on the H3D systems are falling at the moment either. I saw a guy shave over a grand off a body they had listed.

I currently don't want to spend over 4k for a back on it's own right now though (UK GBP). That's reasonable right?

carl-b

Hi Chris
It does seem like you have explored all options at the mo.
They don't list these on ebay, but teamwork photo digital have some refurb backs in stock at the moment. I know they are listing a P45 in H fitting for 6.5k +vat but it's another avenue to explore if they can get a p25+ for you?

As to collecting the back from overseas, i don't see a problem. I sold some Naim amps last year, and was very surprised when the buyer came from France in person to collect them :)

I will keep an eye out for you on ebay and other places and will let you know if a back within your budget pops up

carl-b

No worries Chris, glad to help out.
I hope to be headed down the MFD route myself this year, in fact teamwork have the system i want in stock - contax 645/P25+ but just can't quite afford it till later in the year :ROTFL:

Chris Giles

The only Leaf 22 I see on there Doug is 8k. The Phase P30+ is of interest but there's no price listed and doubt it will be in my price range.

Thanks though.

jmosier01

I have a P25+ I might be looking to sell. I'm in the states, but would be willing to ship it. shoot me an email at

jeff at jeffreymosierphotography dot com

Chris Giles

Thanks, emailed.

Pics2, I did see that but it's an entire system which truth be told has interest if only because of the vertical grip they can use. (None for the blad). The problem being the higher the price the higher the import tax also, import tax on that is $1000. Then there's shipping which will no doubt be around $200.

Hi Chris,

Keep an eye out at the pro Centre second hand listing. Much better to by in the UK with warranty and no import tax.

http://www.procentre.co.uk/Secondhand/hasselblad_H.html

For your kind of work an H3D31/H4D31 or H4D40 would suit you down to the ground.

You already have the lenses from your H1 and you would certainly enjoy the higher ISO benefits of the above cameras for your natural light work.

If you pop in to the Pro Centre (if you are in London) they would happily let you take the cameras for a spin.

David

I'll be brutally honest in that I'm totally confused. I'm new to medium format and am loving using film right now but my goal in going MF was to use it for my portraiture ( www.booheads.co.uk ).

I love the framing of medium format and the Hassy's 6x4.5 is pretty much 8x10 and whilst film is a handy thing to use it isn't as convenient to me as digital.

So I went looking at digital backs and thought I was settled on a Leaf Aptus 22 with it's fat pixels and good skin tones it seemed the thing to buy....

....but can I find any anywhere used? Nope.

So this has led me to look at other options and to question whether or not I'm setting my sights unjustly on pixel size and skin tones and in turn ruling out perfectly good alternative options.

(I'm running a H1 btw).

For example, I can buy an upgraded H2 (to H3D) with a 39mp Hassy back for £4500 with an ISO range of 100-800 and sell my H1. Keeping the Film back I like so much. Ok so it's more but considering what the average 22mp back goes for it's only an additional 1k for 39mp and a body.

I'm also worried about buying a 31mp back with a 1.3X crop which whilst it would save me buying the 100 2.2 lens I've been looking at (I have the 80mm) the sensor isn't a whole lot bigger than the 1Ds3 and I would like to see a jump in IQ.

I'm rambling a little sorry. I just would like the best IQ jump in the most sensible way and to keep my film back. 16it files and no AA filter will be a plus regardless I know and I'd love to have one of each back here to try out for myself but that's not possible!

Chris Giles

Thanks David.

The pro centre has always been my first port of call but every time I enquire about a camera it's been sold. I'm always advised the list is updated every evening but it's been three days since I last saw any changes and the cameras I enquired about that was subsequently sold is still showing as available.

No doubt I'll find something. It's either 22mp or 39mp anyway.