The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Think Tank Glass Taxi for Tech cams

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thought I would start a thread on this so easy to search later. Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Think Tank bags and given my real sickness for bags its no wonder when I look in my closet I have at least 6 Think Tank bags. Seems like most of us have varied systems and varied setups for backups and different formats it leads to a bag disease which i have no cure for. I know myself with 3 different systems it's really a nightmare given whatever I am going to shoot to have the correct and most efficient bag. Man did that sound like i was preaching to my wife on justification of my bag sickness. LOL

So once again I am out there figuring out what works the best for me and my Tech cam kit. Lets start with the Think Tank Glass Taxi which for all intentions was designed for large fast 35mm glass like a 500 F4 lens and such. You will see many sports shooters with these bags holding there heavy investment in fast glass in them. Now looking at the options out there and trying to get a bag that will hold a Cambo AE model with back and lens. This could also be said for Alpa and Arca as well but you wind up with almost a square block in dimension to deal with. In my case my Cambo is 7 inches tall, 7 inches wide and 6.5 inches fromt my back to the front of my 60mm lens. SQUARE. Yea and every Alpa, Cambo and Arca shooter is looking at basically the same thing and the bad news no one designs bags as SQUARE and worse some are even bigger than the Cambo by a good amount as well. So this makes it a tough choice to find a bag that has the correct room for a SQUARE and enough for extra lenses and all the stuff we carry.So digging around on the TT site I was looking at the Glass Taxi for awhile now and decided to get one and one reason was the inside dimensions ID: 8.3” W x 16.3” H x 8” D (21.1 x 41.4 x 20.3 cm) which sounded like it would fit my setup quite well. So lets see with images how this all worked out.

Now i had to really move all the dividers around and get them where i thought would work. I'm still refining this a little as I go so its not a 100 percent settled on but here goes. Here is basically my complete kit here.

As you can see i have 3 lenses and lots of accessories as many folks do as well. I have in lenses all Schneiders 35 XL , 60 XL TS lens and a 90mm all in Cambo mounts.

Now in this shot this is my basic reconfiguration of the inserts. I'm still working on this but it does create some slots along the camera that hold flat useful items as you can see in the next two images.

Now moving to the front 4 slots I can put a 90mm in one slot Either the 35 or 60 in another and the from t two slots hold a lot of junk or even a 4th lens.

Now lets move back to the camera, lens and back section. I left the bridge pad in to support the lens so it does not flop around when inserting the camera in. Also going in this direction the Phase back is totally protected by being in the middle of the bag ( kids and carseats rule)

Also in the lid there is a web carrier that can hold extra gear . I keep my lens shade attachment in here but the nice thing is when closed it is outside the area of the camera so it does not hit the cambo in anyway.

Now here is it all packed up and ready to go

Also I keep my LCC card on one or two of the external pockets for easy access. Now the only bad news like any other backpack is you need to lay it on the ground at least to get the camera out. The way i have it setup I can actually zipper half way without laying on the ground to get to the lenses if i want and the lid never will touch the ground which is the good news. Also I can put this in with either the 60mm on the cambo or 35mm which keeps me from changing either one of those lenses out for a shorter lens to fit in. The 90 I certainly have to replace for sure. But most times we have our wide or mid focal length on anyway so it should not be a big deal in the field. Admittedly I like my bags small and compact to carry around so i maybe considered a just fits kind of shooter bag carrying gear slut. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Now it was brought up in another thread so thought would add it here as well. This is a Think Tank Retrospective 10 bag and i can hold all the same gear in a shoulder bag but here again there are limitations. First one is i have to stack the 60mm lens over the 90 mm lens in the lens side which really is not a big deal. Done this for years with Leica and other systems but the biggest issue is i can only really fit the cambo,Back and lens in the camera side with a short lens like the 35mm and lets say comfortably. I can squeeze the 60mm in on the cambo but it is a tight fit. But I really do love this bag and i am still deciding on which one i like better in the field. My other problem with shoulder bags even crossed over the shoulder is when you bend down the bag slides around and at times can be very annoying . Here it is a personal preference but my back sure does feel better at the end of the day with a small backpack than the shoulder bag. At my age its all about your back as most of us know. Here are some shots of it empty and than filled up.

Than camera on one side 90mm in other lens slot laying down

Than using a thick piece of white foam stolen from a insert I can put the 60 on top of it.

So there you have it from Think Tanks Glass Taxi and Retrospective. I urge you to measure your system and start doing the math to see what would work and what will not. I'm guessing the Alpa STC would work as well in these bags as my cambo but the Arca RM3D i think would have a harder time since it is bigger than my cambo. Something you need to check for sure. Good luck and hope this was useful. Thanks Guy

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy, thanks for the reviews. For the Alpa TC & STC I'd agree that the sizes are pretty similar so long as you're not using the Alpa viewfinder. That is the awkward bit that really messes with bag selection! Actually, it's almost reason enough to use the iPhone holder with it's extra ease of attachment/removal in the field.

Terry

The Glass taxi doesn't seem much different in size to the Think Tank street walker Pro that I was using with my Arca setup. All fit fine.

I've more recently switched for travel to the Gura Gear smaller 22L Kiboko bag. I'm using the Kiboko because the MF gear fits on one side and a mirrorless kit will fit on the other.

dchew

I just went out and bought the Glass Taxi. In the interest of full disclosure, it is all Guy's fault. :LOL: His post in the other thread got me thinking, so I went to the dealer and tried one out. Seems almost perfect.

I stuff the following things in the main compartment:
Alpa STC
43xl
70hr
100hr
150xl (with 34mm adapter - not attached)
Leica Disto
Mini Maglight
Small Rocket Blower

I can store the camera with either the 43 or the 70 mounted. The 100 is too long with my current configuration.

In the mesh pocket goes the sync cord, release cable and Lens Pen.Those of you who have an STC know that it comes with a Think Tank bag. Fits right on the back for extra stuff: 4 batteries, tools, cards, mini whi-bal and some grads. I can leave the bag off if I want. I wouldn't recommend putting heavy stuff in the external add-on bag. Anyone who's been backpacking knows heavy stuff should be as close to your back as possible.

I didn't put near as much thought into packing like Guy did, but here is how I have it now, along with a pic with the extra bag attached. Sorry Guy, my lighting wasn't up to your standards. :)

Like Guy I prefer smaller bags. This thing hugs your back very well. I thought I would need the hip belt but I really don't think so.

Nice bag.

Dave

dchew

Graham, notice in my arrangement I've got the viewfinder on. The STC will not fit with the bottom against your back because the viewfinder is too high.

Dave

dchew

Terry,
Your right, the sizes are close, although the Street Walker Pro is a bit bigger and has a lot more pockets and stuff. I tried that one at the dealer too. Also the Street Walker (not pro). The Glass Taxi is more of a minimalist approach.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Exactly also Terry I think from memory the Glass Taxi is a inch deeper which for my height the way I have mine may fit better plus it is also a bigger bag which in reality with my gear is actually big. Which we all know what that means more crap gets tossed in . But I think for the workshop I can toss a little P&S as well.

In the end the Glass Taxi is a pretty small backpack.

Terry

Yup there is a useful 1" difference between 7 and 8" between them. I absolutely will not get another backpack until I sell about five bags. I also swore I wouldn't sell bags anymore because they are such a PITA to ship. :D

Street Walker Pro
ID: 9.5” W x 16.5” H x 7”D (24 x 42 x 18 cm)
ED: 10”W x 17.5” H x 7.5” D (25 x 45 x 19 cm)

Glass Taxi
ID: 8.3” W x 16.3” H x 8” D (21.1 x 41.4 x 20.3 cm)
ED: 8.5” W x 17” H x 9.5” D (21.6 x 43.2 x 24.1 cm)

dchew

I also swore I wouldn't sell bags anymore because they are such a PITA to ship. :D
You're not kidding! I try to find budding photographers and sell them for extremely cheap. As in, buy me a beer! Hopefully it goes to a good cause.

No, not the beer, the bag.

Dave

Shashin

I could never buy a Street Walker Pro--my wife would have too many questions when she saw the credit card bill. Really dear, it is just an old bag...

cly

The Glass taxi doesn't seem much different in size to the Think Tank street walker Pro that I was using with my Arca setup. All fit fine.

I've more recently switched for travel to the Gura Gear smaller 22L Kiboko bag. I'm using the Kiboko because the MF gear fits on one side and a mirrorless kit will fit on the other.
Hi Terry,

is this the RM3d or the smaller RM2? I am wondering if I could use the Kiboko 22 for an Alpa Max plus lenses and cube (currently I am using either a TT street walker pro or the TT street walker). Could you perhaps post a picture of the Arca body in the Kiboko?

Chris

jlm

Workshop Member
airport antidote for me (and I bought it from Guy a few years ago!)
my pile is about the same as Guy's

Terry

Hi Terry,

is this the RM3d or the smaller RM2? I am wondering if I could use the Kiboko 22 for an Alpa Max plus lenses and cube (currently I am using either a TT street walker pro or the TT street walker). Could you perhaps post a picture of the Arca body in the Kiboko?

Chris
I will post a picture. It is an Rm3Di. I have it laying flat down and the I put a wrap to give it a little more protection. Not sure with the butterfly design if the alap max will fit. The half of the interior may not be wide enough. Still dark here I will add photos when I have some natural light.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I currently have a Tamrac Expedition backpack and love it. I can fit everything in it, including my MacBook Pro 15.4".

When shooting bodybuilding competitions, I carry my D3s, D700, 4 lenses, quantum battery pack, flash, cleaning kit, cell phone, several CF cards, the reader, etc and it is all easily accessible. My only complaint is that with so much gear, it is a bit on the heavy side.

When shooting landscapes, I have enough room for my Hassy, the D3s, 3 Hassy lenses, 2 for the Nikon as well as the rest of the kit. Thankfully I dont need the flash and the battery as the battery adds a bit of heft to it.

I have no clue what I could fit with regards to a tech cam, but I presume I could fit quite a lot, and I don't even have the largest bag.

Terry

Terry measure how tall it is standing on your Arca plate. Curious
Hey, I ended up having to run out early to a meeting. I will do some work when I get home and also see how well the kit fits into the Gura Gear Chobe bag. I'm not a fan of shoulder bags but will take one to death valley.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have mostly given up on back-pack style bags. More comfortable to carry, but not nearly as practical to work out of in the field as a shoulder bag. My current preferences for back-pack style bags are 1) the TT Ultralight since it also fits perfectly inside a Pelican 1510 hard-case and 2) the F-Stop Tilopia since it opens from from the back. Either will hold all the gear you need. My other peeve on back-pack style bags is working out of them in the field -- oh wait, I mentioned that -- and having to set the part that rests on your back in wet anything, dust or sand. Also, the sides are generally so low that especially when working in it, you get lots of sand inside the bag -- the last place I want it.

My current shoulder bag preference for tech cams is the Domke J1 ballistic and the TT UD60. The J1 holds my Arca with eModule, lens and back mounted and ready to shoot, 2 or 3 spare lenses, finder, laser RF, batteries, cleaning gear, filters, gloves, buff, wind-pants, and snacks; the UD60 all of that plus a laptop, but is not quite as easy to work from. Both companies do offer back-pack style straps as carry options for those bags too.

But we all have our own preferences for sure, so this is my .02 only -- so see, Guy and I do not always agree on everything!

But the real proof is what bag will Guy be using next month? I am willing to bet anybody it will be something different and he's already admitted he has a dozen bags in his camera cabinet :ROTFL:. Of course I am not immune and should not be throwing stones -- I have 5 myself! (3 Domkes --J1, J803, F803; and 2 TT's -- Airport UL and UD60) :)

Cheers,

Shashin

I have a back pack bag, but it is for transportation. I use the Think tank unpadded belt system with Lens Changer pouches and bags to carry my lenses and small stuff around my waist while I am working--the back pack just holds rain gear or lunch. I have an empty Lens Changer pouch for the lens mounted on the camera. If there is bad weather or when I am traveling, the the belt and pouches just get put in the pack and it is great on space as the pouches themselves are the dividers. My camera is in a stuff sack and fit in the pack with the rest.

My bag is old--A LowePro Mini Trekker, the model with the one large pocket on the cover (later versions have multiple small pockets). That pocket is great as I can stuff rain gear or a fleece in it as well as odds and end. Not having to have dividers really give this small bag lots of space--Pentax 645D, 35mm, 55mm, 120mm Macro, 300mm, right angle finder, and handful of batteries, remote, cards and all the other doodads. I carry my tripod by slipping a leg over the shoulder strap where it connects to the bottom of the bag. I bought this bag in the early 90s and has been one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I really like the belt system over the shoulder bag as it is easier to climb around--I always have a problem of the shoulder bag swinging forward, especially when I don't want it to. I do have a Mountainsmith lumbar pack I use as a shoulder bag and that is nice as I can strap it to my back when I need to, but I can't put as much stuff in it.