The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 80mm 1.9

FredBGG

Not Available
Anyone shooting with this lens?
I've seen some nice results ... and saw a good deal on a lens so I snapped it up.

Post some shots if you have them handy...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
For those looking for precision in their optics ... this isn't the lens. But, like me, if you value a look that is a little more unpredictable, it can deliver some great results. It reminds me a lot of the original noctilux.

Here are a few examples of the lens on the Leica S2 via adapter. They are all wide open ... where it is most fun to experiment on cameras with larger sensors.

Kurt

danlindberg

WOW Kurt! Superb portraits :thumbup: All fantastic but if I had to choose, it would be a close call between the second and the last.

robmac

Have owned both the C and N version (using on SLR) and loved them with a modest pref to the older lower-contrast C version. On a MFDB it/they would really come into it's own.

SergeiR

For those looking for precision in their optics ... this isn't the lens.
I never cared for "edge to edge sharpness", but actually N version is deadly sharp. C one - is kinda soft-focusy indeed. At least for two copies that i have and use :)

FredBGG

Not Available
Nice images Kurt. Lovely street photography.

I've also seen the great results you get with the Hasselblad 110mm F2.
I have one on the way.

N

nightfire

I bought a 80/1.9N myself only recently for use with a P45+, and I have to say it's one terrific lens. At f1.9, it renders a lovely dreamy look, sharp outlines surrounded by aberrations; coupled with a M645-EOS adapter, it looks like this will become my new favorite portrait lens on a Canon DSLR. At f2.8, it's only very slightly less sharp than my 80/2.8AF @2.8, and stopped further down any differences disappear completely. I don't quite understand why Mamiya doesn't manufacture this lens anymore.

bensonga

What are the differences between the 80/1.9 and the 80/1.9N?

I might try one of these on my Canon DSLR......KEH has both versions in stock.

Gary

Willow

I have been looking for a 80 1.9N since I bought my P1 IQ140.
Today, I ordred one from KEH, and hopefully it will be a good example.

I am a little worried about how difficult it will be to focus wide open .-).

MaxKißler

I've always wanted to possess the N version of this lens. Two days ago I made the mistake the lurke around at the forum and saw this thread. Honestly, I just wanted to check the current prices of this lens and now I've got one on the way... Kurt, that's all your fault! ;-)

I hope it maintains a shallow dof even when the subject is a bit away. That look I normally only get wide open at minimum focus distance with the 80mm f 2,8.

bensonga

I suppose this means all the GOOD copies of the 80 1.9N at KEH have been snatched up now! Guess I will just have to be patient. :-(

I'm still left wondering what the differences are between the 1.9 and the 1.9N lens.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great portraits, Kurt. I've always wanted this lens, but never got around to buy it and a camera to mount it on. When that is said, I do find the bokeh somewhat busy. Any comments on that?

Are there other Mamiya manual focus 645 lenses that are worth having, like a wide angle and a tele?

MaxKißler

So far I've only got the 50mm f4 Shift, which is a great lens. At least with film but that doesn't count I guess. Can't tell you how it performs on a digital back but should be alright with the 9 micron pixel pitch backs afaik. What I'd love to know is, how does the Mamiya 50mm Shift work with backs which got microlenses such as the P30+?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks Dan, Fred and Jorgen.

Jorgen, it does produce some pretty strange bokeh at times. I certainly wish that the bokeh had a look that is a little more similar to something like a summilux. I personally think that the Hasselblad 110/2 bokeh is better controlled and ultimately more pleasing. But the alternatives are few and far between in the medium format world. And, for $300, it's hard to find a better lens bargain out there.

I'd kill for a f1.4 - f1.8 standard lens with great bokeh in medium format that would focus down to .7m. It wouldn't even need to be autofocus ... just something small and easy to focus. The big and bright viewfinders in medium format are sufficient to work with shallow depth of field.

My dream would be a Leica summilux for the S-system. Such an out of the box lens (similar to what the Noctilux does for the M-system) would gather quite a bit of PR and a few tire kickers to the system.

Kurt

FredBGG

Not Available
Don't buy this one off ebay.

I just returned it. It has sever haze. Don't be fooled by the state of the barrel.

I even took it to a repair shop. They were convinced the problem is degraded bonding between two elements. Can't be cleaned.

this is the ebay item number:

MaxKißler

"...The glass has dust and haze internally. Comes with rear cap." That says it all, doesn't it? It's a shame they don't sell it as as parts or for repair though, but instead try to fool you into buying it by only showing parts of the glass...

Today I received my copy which I bought off ebay for about the same price and it is in excellent condition. I didn't expect to be that amazed. Only flaw is one tiny little dust particle on the inside but since I'm not stopping it down anyway I probably won't bother..

PS: Sorry to hear that.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Symbolic acquisition: Bought a hood for the 80/1.9. Lens is next, then a camera. I'm considering the 645E since it's silly cheap, even in mint condition and I'm probably only going to use Ilford Pan F anyway.

FredBGG

Not Available
"...The glass has dust and haze internally. Comes with rear cap." That says it all, doesn't it? It's a shame they don't sell it as as parts or for repair though, but instead try to fool you into buying it by only showing parts of the glass...

Today I received my copy which I bought off ebay for about the same price and it is in excellent condition. I didn't expect to be that amazed. Only flaw is one tiny little dust particle on the inside but since I'm not stopping it down anyway I probably won't bother..

PS: Sorry to hear that.
When I bought it it was described as having "moderate" dust.
However the invoice I received with the package stated severe dust.
It did not have much dust at all, but very severe haze.

I just wanted to make sure that no one looking at this discussion goes out and buys this ebay item without knowing the state of the lens.

N

nightfire

I'm still left wondering what the differences are between the 1.9 and the 1.9N lens.
The 1.9N, being the more recent version of the two, supposedly has a better coating and is less prone to flare. Both versions seem to share the optical design however.