The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old Mamiya M645 glass

gazwas

I keep reading threads about comparisons of older Mamiya M645 or old style (pre Phase D treatment) Mamiya AF lenses and thought it might be an interesting thread to people like me who dislike the manual feel to the newer AF lenses or people trying to build a MF system on a budget.

So are the older M645 lenses up to the job on the newer digital backs?

So for future forum reference, please anyone with shots on older glass your proud of post an image here for us all to see.

You never know, we might start a revolution and make some of that worthless old glass valuable again. :thumbup:

FredBGG

Not Available
This whole thing about digital lenses is a bit blown out of proportion.

Apart from plenty of pre digital lenses preforming as well or even better than digital lenses.

I shoot with a Fuji gx680 and it's lenses will stand upto today's lenses and imho have a nice look than current new lenses don't match. The newer lenses while striving for more hyper resolution to "show off" the 80mp sensors don't look as "prety" as some older lenses. Unless you are doing industrial quality control or satallite images sharpness beyond a certain point is not the most important thing.

I recently bought a couple of older Mamiya lenses and other lenses to adapt to newer Mamiya cameras.

Mamiya 200mm 2.8 APO
Mamiya 80mm 1.9N
Hasselblad 110mm f2
Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm 2.8

I'll post some shots when I have them.

In the mean time here is an example of a couple of shots taken on the Fuji with 25 year old lenses...

Crop from the same negative

and here is another example...

Crop from the same negative

And here is a little test comparing the Canon 200mm f2.8L lens and the Fuji GX 250mm

Here is the Canon pushed in to 100%

Fuji gx680

Here is the FF shown inside the size of the Fuji gx680 frame.

Both lenses were captured on a Canon 5d mark II so the sensor pixel pitch is close to that of the best digital backs. The Canon 200mm f2.8 is an extremely sharp lens.... here is an example full frame.

Shashin

I just bought an aeronautical lens that is a 300mm f2 with a negative coverage of 9x9inches.

Not sure what I will do with it.... but we'll see...
I have a 600mm f/4 Tessar, but I do not think I will mount it to my 645D. But you never know...

FredBGG

Not Available
I have a 600mm f/4 Tessar, but I do not think I will mount it to my 645D. But you never know...
Should not be a problem with an adapter. Mamiya even makes a Hasselblad V to Mamiya 645 sfd or DF adapter.

You would just have to shoot stopped down or manual stop down.

I'm working on a dual cable release that will stop down the lens and then fire the camera.

gazwas

I would be really interested if anyone has compared or used the old 35mm F3.5N and 150mm F2.8A alongside newer lenses.

Stefan Steib

I have recently bought a Mamiya 645 Sekor macro 4/80mm N for around 150 € and I have to say this was a real bargain. Got a Macro spacer for another 40 € and can go 1:1 now. Mechanically a really good lens, optically pinsharp stopped down to 8. A real joy for this little money ! And a perfect
addition to my collection of Macrolenses right between the 3,5/50mm OM Macro, the 2,8/60mm Micro Nikkor, the 105 Micro Nikkor, the Zeiss Hartblei 4/120 macro and the Mamiya RZ 140 Macro. Am still looking to get a good used sample of the 200mm ED Micro Nikkor.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan