The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Member Switching to MF (Intro and Samples)

Mario

Mario, sorry if I missed it on this thread but are you considering the S2 at all? I'm thinking about it vs the IQ140.
Yep the S2 is going to be a little too much especially after adding some lenses and what not. I'd rather pick up an M9 to fill the Leica craving. :)

nashphotog

Mario, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you having narrowed it down to either Phase One or Hasselblad (I think). From what I understand with the new H4D series you're pretty much locked into that system. Much like the S2.

I know that the Phase One backs are compatible with a number of different camera bodies which opens the door for even more lens options. However, I've also noticed that all of these backs have a mount for a particular camera whereas the Leaf backs appear to be more universal.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of finding an adapter for the Phase One backs or else the Leaf backs have that appeal.

I thought I'd throw that thought out there. Hopefully, someone can clear that up...

Mario

The modular piece of Phase doesn't interest me too much at the moment. That could change once I get to shoot with it and realize the advantage of that.

Both systems I'm looking at the leaf shutter primes (I really do value quality glass especially after shooting with Canon primes.), basic back, and basic body. So I'm not seeing the bonus of mounting a super MF lens, or mounting another back, or anything else along those lines.

nashphotog

Sounds good... I'm interested to see what you decide on and your impressions. I hope you decide to share those and possibly more samples of your work.

Mario

Sounds good... I'm interested to see what you decide on and your impressions. I hope you decide to share those and possibly more samples of your work.
Absolutely. Not seeing a lot of portrait work around here so hopefully I can pitch in and bring some innovation along the way. Our industry is so amazing. :thumbs:

Mario

What was the outcome?
Blast from the past! :)

I ended up doing the H3dII-31. I had conveniently forgotten about MFD for a while and stumbled on a great deal.

Current bag is 5DIII with 35/50/85L with the Hasselblad setup.

My shoots are about 70% Hasselblad and 30% Canon.

Overall I love it! I'd like to get the HC100 this or next month as I feel the HC80 outdoors gets boring just a little quick.