The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3D-31 vs. H4D-31

L

lockstock

Hello everyone,

I am a brand new member hoping for some equipment tips. We shoot stock photography and just moved to Knoxville, Tennessee from Los Angeles. I am about to upgrade to a medium format camera system from a Canon 1DSM2. We have had sharpness issues with the QC people at the stock agencies (very sharp people, those. ;)

Also, there is a book project coming up featuring the gardens and interiors of a private estate in Northern California.

Thus the need (or perhaps urge) for larger file sizes. I have a Mamiya RZ67 now but the book budget would not cover film costs at this time. I searched for a way to put a digital back on my Mamiya, which included a trip to NYC but couldn't find anything that balanced better in my hands (and my pocketbook) than the Hasselblads.

My stock work is primarily food and portraits using available daylight shot wide open.

So I am currently looking at buying either a (used/demo) H3D-31 with a 100mm f/2.2 lens or an H4D-41 kit with an 80mm f/2.8 lens. The new focusing technology on the H4 sounds attractive, but the cost would preclude upgrading to a 100mm anytime soon.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Has anyone upgraded from an H3D-31 to an H4D-31? Was it a hugely significant difference?

Thank you kindly,

Jennifer Boggs

jerome

Hello everyone,

Thank you kindly,

Jennifer Boggs
The image quality will be the same, but True Focus is a huge improvement ! When you come from 35 mm dslr focus with MF is difficult : small DOF, just one central focusing point, so it's difficult. With TF, it easier than 35 mm !

Spirit level is good too, even if I must admit I don't use it. I don't know for double resolution display and others improvement.

For me, TF is worth the update from H3d to H4d ...

Lee Love

I agree the TF is great but if you are shooting stock and portraits you might be able to do fine with the H3D.

Either way both are great systems and you won't regret either decision.