The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Custom function error on Phase 64DF

adamduckworth

I've set the Custom Function on my 645DF so I use the back-button focus method.

(So AF is disabled off shutter release and I use the teeny-tiny AEL button on the back with my thumb to focus.

However, it seemed that randomly it would suddenly swop to normal shutter-button focus. Or so I thought.

Having had it happen lots on a shoot today, I investigated further. It seems that if I turn off the camera body while shooting, but leave the back switched on (only for a few minutes, maybe), then when I re-turn on the camera back on, it reverts to normal shutterbutton-AF. The opposite of what the Custom Function is set to.

I have to turn off the camera and back and re-start them again. Which is sort-of OK now I've sussed out what it's doing.

So just a warning to others if it happens to you.

And perhaps a request to see if affects other people's cameras the same way. Or does mine have a glitch? Or is there a firwware glitch?

I believe I have the latest Firmware in both the back (p40+) and body.

As for rear-button AF, for me it's the only way of working and I use all my cameras this way. So please Phase make the button bigger on the DF II (which I hear is going to be "a bit more industrial!")

Thanks

Adam

cunim

Same thing happens to me with an IQ180.

I also have an issue with mirror lockup, which is now just mirror hang up. Camera freezes but comes back after about 30 sec. Happens every couple of dozen shots and drives me crazy.

I believe both these things happened after the latest back firmware.

I have a support ticket into Phase.

cly

I also have an issue with mirror lockup, which is now just mirror hang up. Camera freezes but comes back after about 30 sec. Happens every couple of dozen shots [...]
Had the same testing a DF with IQ140 - and I thought it's user error :)

Chris

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Try this: Make sure you have the latest back firmware as there was an issue with the first CF interface release. Then reset all CF's and reprogram them using the back.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As of today:
DF latest firmware is 1.25
IQ latest firmware is 2.01 (the trailing 1 is important)
P40+ latest firmware is 5.2.2

I'm not aware of any CF-restting issues with these firmware combos. But when I have a chance I'll run through testing of exactly what you describe. You can set custom functions (and Custom Function Set - A/B/C) via the body or back. If you are currently setting them via the back I'd try setting them via the body; if you are currently setting them via the body I'd try setting them via the back. This sort of troubleshooting is best done with your P1 dealer.

A few lingering MUP issues do remain (frustratingly enough) - the vast majority were solved via firmware updates many months ago, but not 100%. But the severity described here (every 30ish shots) does not jibe with my experience with a variety of (current firmware combo) back/body/lenses so I'd consult your dealer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As of today:
DF latest firmware is 1.25
IQ latest firmware is 2.01 (the trailing 1 is important)
P40+ latest firmware is 5.2.2

I'm not aware of any CF-restting issues with these firmware combos. But when I have a chance I'll run through testing of exactly what you describe. You can set custom functions (and Custom Function Set - A/B/C) via the body or back. If you are currently setting them via the back I'd try setting them via the body; if you are currently setting them via the body I'd try setting them via the back. This sort of troubleshooting is best done with your P1 dealer.

A few lingering MUP issues do remain (frustratingly enough) - the vast majority were solved via firmware updates many months ago, but not 100%. But the severity described here (every 30ish shots) does not jibe with my experience with a variety of (current firmware combo) back/body/lenses so I'd consult your dealer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes I have found that after a firmware update, a complete custom function reset is the necessary medicine to apply.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My problems are more to do with the V grip and more importantly holding contact with my body. I have been shooting a lot of fashion lately and its been problematic. Looking forward to a new body.

adamduckworth

I checked my back and body firmware and all were the latest.

So without changing anything, today I shot in the studio all day tethered and there wasn't one single issue with the custom function shifting. All good. Even though I changed nothing and now can't get it to go wrong despite turning the camera on and off. Truly erratic behaviour... but perhaps being tethered had something to do with this?

Of course, another day another Phase issue. Today's misfire was every so often, especially after letting the camera sit for a while (still turned on and tethered...) the first frame would be shot with the lens wide open. Despite it being set to f/11 or whatever, it would shoot a frame or two wide open.

After a while I noticed that when it would do this, there would be four lines in the display _ _ _ _ where the aperture would normally be.

Of course, it was pretty random and would only do it sometimes. Sometimes for a few frames, other times for a single frame. Sometimes not at all.

Wonderful.

Of course, it being a dark(ish) studio the AF was all over the place. I had to turn the modelling lights up full to get some light for the AF to lock on to. Which it did sporadically. Quite a lot of my shots were sharp, which I'm beginning to see as some sort of little bonus.

I have set the AF assist light to "on" via the custom functions, too. But I can't recall it ever coming on.

Anyway, tonight I decided to do what was suggested and set the custom functions via the back rather than the camera. First I did the "reset all custom function" via the back.

And the custom function magically was not reset. It stayed in the AF-On back button. Surely this should have reset it to default. Then I should have re-set it to AF-ON on the back?

Do I have a jinxed camera, or am I doing something wrong? or do we just have to live with this?

Or is it time to go to the great Hasselblad dealer for a camera that actually works?
Yes, I'm being serious.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've had that same weird wide-open exposure occur recently with my 55 LS & 645 DF. It only happened once for a single frame but definitely happened during a sequence I was shooting all at f/8 or f/11. It seemed like the lens just didn't get the command to close down the aperture when the shutter released. Prior and subsequent shots were all just fine and the aperture wasn't changed at all during that particular set of shots.

Btw, I'm also up to date on all firmware versions for body/back too.