The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa STC hand-held lens orientation

dchew

I have always struggled finding and reaching for the shutter release with my right hand index finger, especially with my 70 or 100mm. Not much of a problem with wide angles, although I still find it a little awkward. I did something different the other day and it might actually turn out to be useful...

I rotated the lens 90 deg clockwise (when looking from the back of the camera), so the shutter release is at the bottom right. I hold the camera like a normal SLR with my left hand on the bottom and right hand on the grip. The shutter release is right by my middle finger on the left hand. This is true regardless of how long the lens is, since my left hand sits near helical. It even works for the 150mm, although I'm probably insane for ever shooting the 150 hand held. :)

Maybe you all figured this out years ago, but I am finding with a little practice it is better than the "one finger stretch" with the right index finger. Oh, I use the Alpa sync release, but I think the actuator is in about the same place if you are using the standard release w/ zero latency.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like you can rest the camera in the palm of your left hand which would be a pretty stable platform for handheld. If there is one thing I do like about my DF per say is I can do this as well which really helps than you tuck your elbow into your body and creates a nice base. On my Cambo the release is in the right grip which frees my left hand to do this as well. Actually I like shooting the Cambo handheld sometimes.

dchew

Guy,
Yeah. Since the STC only has one grip, my left hand is down there anyway like the standard slr regimen you describe. I wonder what Woody does? Although I think he usually shoots with a wide lens, so he may be fine reaching for the shutter release in the conventional position.

Dave

PeterL

I do as you do Dave on a TC, much more comfortable, and I think you can hold the camera a bit more stable.

Cheers, -Peter