The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF or M9 to Angkor Wat and North Vietnam

baudolino

Okay, let's cut to the chase.

Sell all of it except the X100, and get a Leica S2. :eek:

Nothing is capable of clearing out a gear closet like an S2 :ROTFL:

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"

-Marc
I agree entirely :) - have just done the same. But the S2 does get quite heavy for traveling and an M9 with a couple of lenses would definitely not disappoint, in my experience.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Hong Kong with a Blad was great. Used it for street, skyline, panoramas etc. Even used it inside temples. Here are a few photos from that trip: Joe Marquez - The Smoking Camera | Hong Kong
I don't really see anything in that collection that would have suffered from being shot with an M9 or demands 40MP and up... That doesn't mean they're not good photographs, only that it's hard to see how more resolution would further improve on them.

I don't really see anything in that collection that would have suffered from being shot with an M9 or demands 40MP and up... That doesn't mean they're not good photographs, only that it's hard to see how more resolution would further improve on them.
I agree. Was planning to shoot panoramas and skylines with the Blad but too much haze in the sky the entire week of our stay.

Shashin

You mean you determined this from web-size images? But isn't that always the argument against MFD. I did the same thing recently on a trip to Tokyo with a Pentax 645D. While you really cannot see the benefit on the web, at least without a comparison image, there is a huge benefit to shooting situations like this with MFD. Whether you care for the technical difference is subjective. An M9 would also have made nice images as this does not come down to simply technical attributes. But to imply that there is no benefit to using a higher resolution camera, I cannot agree with that.

I am not trying to start a flame (I have my smiley face on :) ), but being a member of "Dante's Inferno," I am certainly realizing the benefits of using MFD in areas of photography that have been the providence of smaller formats. And it is not even the resolving power but other attributes like the tonality.

And don't get me wrong. The M9 may very well be the right tool for Joe, but I can't quite dismiss MFD so easily.

fotografz

You mean you determined this from web-size images? But isn't that always the argument against MFD. I did the same thing recently on a trip to Tokyo with a Pentax 645D. While you really cannot see the benefit on the web, at least without a comparison image, there is a huge benefit to shooting situations like this with MFD. Whether you care for the technical difference is subjective. An M9 would also have made nice images as this does not come down to simply technical attributes. But to imply that there is no benefit to using a higher resolution camera, I cannot agree with that.

I am not trying to start a flame (I have my smiley face on :) ), but being a member of "Dante's Inferno," I am certainly realizing the benefits of using MFD in areas of photography that have been the providence of smaller formats. And it is not even the resolving power but other attributes like the tonality.

And don't get me wrong. The M9 may very well be the right tool for Joe, but I can't quite dismiss MFD so easily.
+1.

This is the reason my first reply started out with a caveat ... "It all depends on what the end use will be." The OP has clearly stated what the applications/locations will be while on the trip, but isn't quite clear what the end intent is.

It has to be assumed that anyone with this level and choice of gear is either a Professional Photographer, or a dead serious enthusiasts ... or a little of both. As such, there is usually some sense of what the images will be used for ... what they are after photographically when the trip is done.

As good as the M9 is, working with files from the Hasselblad is a whole other realm of 16 bit, large sensor capture that can show tonal differences and subtile color separation, even subtile differences in a 8X10 print ... (Jack Flesher detailed the benefits of printing using 16 bit files in a recent thread).

Intent is the final decision maker IMHO. Personal comfort is just that, a personal decision. Folks here that trek out into the wilderness at 4AM with a backpack full of MFD gear, a big tripod, and a giant ARCA C1 geared head, do so because of intent, not for personal comfort.

GetDpi member Kurt Kama does all types of shooting similar to the OP's application list using a MFD system exclusively. Value, size, location, application, relationship to the subject both formal or candid, doesn't seem to stop him.

When I traveled to historic St Augustine it was to soak up the history, record notes on my experiences, and do a little street shooting ... the end intent was a nice travel album for family enjoyment, with a secondary intent to capture some "stock" background plates to use for paying work.
The M9s were the only cameras I took. On a recent trip to the Gulf coast my intent was more photographic than personal R&R or sight-seeing, I wanted the best images I could produce for prints, so I only took the H4D/60 and a tripod.

-Marc

pophoto

+1.

On a recent trip to the Gulf coast my intent was more photographic than personal R&R or sight-seeing, I wanted the best images I could produce for prints, so I only took the H4D/60 and a tripod.

-Marc
Hi Marc.... so is this a clear statement of your H4D/60 being better than your S2 then? :p

fotografz

Would have to clear out the gear closet and my first born to get anywhere near the S2.
Sounds like a good plan ... except the "first Born" part :)

I believe that is exactly what Kurt Kama did. If forced to make the same decision and I had to choose ... I'd dump it all and keep the S2 and maybe add a X100/NEX5N/Etc., or any of the little pocket camera's for no-brainer snaps.

(Cue echoing evil laugh and eerie background music) :ROTFL:

-Marc

Marc, I hear the evil laugh and background music. Quite entertaining.

First of all I have thoroughly enjoyed your H4d-40. It has been a great investment for me. Secondly my trip to Vietnam and Cambodia is for fun with a wonderful photographer (and each of our wives). We have travelled and photographed together many times in the past. This will be a vacation trip with the intent of getting the very best images for ourselves.

Quite frankly, I don't think I will go wrong with either the Hasselblad or the m9.

Most importantly, let me know when you are ready to sell your S2 at a reasonable (cough cough) price. I will be the first (cough cough) in line.

By the way, always a treat to read your insights.

KeithL

I have to say as a photographer who has been working with film and digital medium format cameras for more years than I care to remember, lugging them around villages built into the sides of mountains and in heat that would wilt a tripod, that I would, if I were the OP, in the blink of an eye and without hesitation, take the M9.

Geoff

Luckily we have two hands: on the one hand, the M9 makes the most sense for the heat portabiity and all those reasons. OTOH, there is the allure of those MFDB files, the joy of the larger viewfinder, the deliberation. Planning for a trip to Ecuador brings up the same issues. I'd love to take the MFDB for all the good reasons; however, remembering the heat, the sheer absolute and utter fatigue of hauling too much gear all point to use of a smaller camera. From time to time, the ideal has to give ground.

cng

From time to time, the ideal has to give ground.
Depends on your ideal: Maximum resolution and file sizes, or an enjoyable holiday (without cursing your equipment bag). Both are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but frequently can be.

fotografz

Ideals can also give way to getting old. (on my mind, because it's my B-Day tomorrow ;)).

In the Spring of my life nothing phased me, or stopped me from executing my ideals. Dawn to dusk in Yellowstone in the dead of winter, snow often above my waist-line, big assed Hasselblad 500 system w/beefy tripod, anything to get the shot for my Big Sky Resort client ... and stuff like that.

In the Fall of life, more ...ummm ...practical considerations have reared their compromising head.

I say if you are young and fit, go for it ... there will be plenty of time later for little cameras and softer paths ... trust me on this :)

-Marc

Grab the M9 and 28 cron, it's the widest lens on covered in the viewfinder and a stunning walkabout rig. Given you'll get a model shoot in VN (where the women are stunning) you'll regret not taking the MF gear. I'd take the Hassie the 28 and you'll want something longer, esp for Halong Bay. The photographers ephemeris can help you plan the shots.

Ben Rubinstein

Ideals can also give way to getting old. (on my mind, because it's my B-Day tomorrow ;)).

In the Spring of my life nothing phased me, or stopped me from executing my ideals. Dawn to dusk in Yellowstone in the dead of winter, snow often above my waist-line, big assed Hasselblad 500 system w/beefy tripod, anything to get the shot for my Big Sky Resort client ... and stuff like that.

In the Fall of life, more ...ummm ...practical considerations have reared their compromising head.

I say if you are young and fit, go for it ... there will be plenty of time later for little cameras and softer paths ... trust me on this :)

-Marc
Happy Birthday Marc, as you're mentioning the 'fall of life' can I assume that you're about to hit your '40's?

V

Vivek

Whatever you take, take a back up in the same system and several extra batteries, cards and such. There is no question of flashes, tripod or any such accessories, eh?

Interestingly (for me at least) Angkor area appears to be the most photographed in Infrared! You should do a search of the web for those.

fotografz

Happy Birthday Marc, as you're mentioning the 'fall of life' can I assume that you're about to hit your '40's?
You forgot to add the :ROTFL: Ben.

In my forties, I was an Executive Creative Director of big Ad Agency, made Fine Art paintings for exhibition, had a full blown darkroom, did commercial still work, and some weddings each year ... oh... and taught Karate to DEA agents and Detroit Homicide cops.

That was then, and this is now.

Retired two years ago, and if I now wanted to throw a flying spinning reverse kick like the snap of me below, I'd dial 911 first :ROTFL:

Trust me, DO IT NOW while you can!

-Marc