The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF or M9 to Angkor Wat and North Vietnam

My original plan was to take my H4d-40 and 28mm lens along with a Nikon d700 and Fuji x100 for a two week trip to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa and Angkor Wat. However, I now have an opportunity to take a Leica M9, 21mm f/1.4 Summilux and possibly 28mm f/2 Summilux. Simple question. Would you take the Hasselblad or the Leica? Thanks.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Depends on what you want (need) to achieve.

WRT size and IQ the best combo would be the M9 IMH. Plus maybe the X100 as backup.

Depends on what you want (need) to achieve.

WRT size and IQ the best combo would be the M9 IMH. Plus maybe the X100 as backup.
The Nikon for candids, markets, a photoshoot in Hanoi, etc. The Hassy primarily for landscapes, rice paddies, Halong Bay, Angkor Wat, etc. The x100 for evening strolls and backup. Taking the d700 instead of the D3s to save weight. Wondering if the M9 would replace the Hassy and the x100. Thanks.

danlindberg

This is probably not what you want to read, but I am totally opposite to you if I am travelling. Minimalistic to say the least :p
My personal choice would be made up in a heartbeat, the M9, a 21 and 50 lux. Or if only one lens, the 28.
No backup other than I would let my wife use the x100 which would be a backup that I did not have to take care of.
The only thing I would like to bring is a featherlight gitzo that easily fits in my main suitcase/backpack.
I hate the hazzle of many/heavy bags when travelling as much as I worry when I leave everything in the hotel for dinners etc....the M9 + 28 over my shoulder at all times is my melody :)

edit: I should ofcourse ad that it is a different story when I am on paid assignments, but I guess that goes without saying....

Last edited:

fotografz

Still depends on what you want, need, to achieve ... and I'd add ... how experienced you may be using a M rangefinder (I'm assuming you are).

The end result/use would dictate a lot of the choice I would think. Nothing cheeses me off more than getting home and wishing I had taken a defining shot with a better camera.

For sheer IQ, dynamic range in bright conditions, and crop-ability, the H4D/40 wins hands down ... and as you probably know, less critical snaps at ISO 1600 are excellent when exposed properly. Whether I'd take my Hassey on a trip like that would depend completely on what the images would be used for.

Traveling with a H is easier than most would think if it's set-up correctly (hand-strap & wide, bouncy elastic shoulder strap), I use the viewfinder and body cap so I can remove the viewfinder to pack more compactly. When I travel with the H4D, I usually take the 50, 100 and 1.7X, which both take the same polarizer ... and the M9, 28/2 and a 50mm ... or 21/1.4 and a 35/1.4.

I haven't traveled with a 35mm type DSLR for over a decade.

Were it me, I'd use my M9 for the candids, markets, and it would depend on the nature of the photo-shoot whether it could work there. However, I'd include a fast M50mm of any flavor.

The X100 is so small, it's a no brainer to take along ... but as far as IQ it isn't a back-up to the H4 or M9.

It's always a dilemma choosing between size/weight verses end result ... which is why I still maintain two M9s, and they are the main travel cameras for most trips: Two M9s, 21, 28, 50, 90 in one small shoulder case. I can ever remember wishing afterwards that I had used a different camera as far as IQ is concerned.

-Marc

P/S ... the M stuff fits inside even the smallest Hotel safe : -)

Thank you Marc and Dan. Your comments are so insightful and helpful. Now I have to weigh my options and make a decision. Quite frankly, regardless of my decision it will be a great trip.

Geoff

It's always a dilemma choosing between size/weight verses end result ... which is why I still maintain two M9s, and they are the main travel cameras for most trips: Two M9s, 21, 28, 50, 90 in one small shoulder case. I can ever remember wishing afterwards that I had used a different camera as far as IQ is concerned.

-Marc
Marc -
Facing same dilemma on trip to South America, and thus was reading the above very carefully. Did you mean "....never remember...." or "...even remember...."? Slightly different conclusions, to be sure.

Thanks! :)

Geoff

cng

I'm with Dan. Personally, I hate travelling with multiple systems. I'm currently in Japan shooting architecture for work with my Nikon and Cambo WRS kits. Juggling two systems is a pain and I never walk out the door with both at the same time. I've previously juggled various combinations of m43/135/MF/LF, but never again for personal trips.

Since you asked: my opinion is EITHER the Leica or the D700. My personal travelling kit is D700 with 24, 35 and 85 or Leica M with 35. I'm not a fan of anything shorter or longer on a Leica M (although I do own a 50 and 90 – go figure).

Not sure if you've ever been to Angkor before, but bear in mind that the days can get very long and hot, and the Hasselblad will get heavy quick. There is a lot to see and some of the sites are huge, so if you like exploring then you're in for lots of walking/climbing/scrambling in sun and high humidity. When I was last there even my SLR and small bag started to wear on me. Also factor in a big bottle of water, which will add to your kit's weight.

Edit: Just noticed you are also going to Halong Bay and Sapa. If you are thinking of doing any hiking in these areas, then I would personally ignore MF (unless you are exceptionally committed or on assignment). I reckon a D700 or M9 with some fast primes or a good zoom.

Don Libby

Tough call (at least for me). Weight wise I'd opt for the M9 and as many lenses that I owned. The M9 will give you the image quality while saving a ton of weight. Small, compact, great IQ. The downside only shows up after you've returned home and begin processing the images for printing. I found a size limitation in printing from my M9 and felt the largest I felt comfortable was 30x24 which is on the small size of what I normally do. At 40-mexapixels you wouldn't have a print size issue however you'd be carrying a much larger camera.

If you go for the larger bigger and never need it you won't miss it. However that ONE image you really want to show off to its full potential with a 50x30 or larger then you'll be wondering what if.

As I said tough call. Me? Since I sold my M9 for a Phase DF I'd take the DF and wonder if I should include the Cambo WRS.

Don

Anders_HK

My original plan was to take my H4d-40 and 28mm lens along with a Nikon d700 and Fuji x100 for a two week trip to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa and Angkor Wat. However, I now have an opportunity to take a Leica M9, 21mm f/1.4 Summilux and possibly 28mm f/2 Summilux. Simple question. Would you take the Hasselblad or the Leica? Thanks.
May I politely suggest to postpone that trip and instead do this for two weeks? It should clarify... :thumbup:

fotografz

Marc -
Facing same dilemma on trip to South America, and thus was reading the above very carefully. Did you mean "....never remember...." or "...even remember...."? Slightly different conclusions, to be sure.

Thanks! :)

Geoff
Never regretted using the M9 for any travel pic ... :)

-Marc

gazwas

Can't offer advise on the camera equipment because what ever you take you'll wish you had something different.

What I can say is that North Veitman is stunning and a cruise in Halong Bay is a memory to treasure. Waking up every morning to that beautifully green water was a delight and early morning Tai Chi while floating amongst the imposing limestone rock formations was amazing. I must say the water is Halong Bay was some of the warmest I have ever swam in and more like a bath than a expanse of open water.

You'll love it as it's one of the best destinations I have ever been to.

Agnius

Camera choice also depends on the style of a trip.

I have gone to Vietnam / Ha Long Bay, Cambodia (Angkor Vat via river boat from Phnom Pen), etc. etc. etc. I was backpacking then, and had 3 medium format cameras - two 6x9 Fujis, and Fuji 645zi. Plus a big lead bag of film. Plus "stuff" for a 3 month trip. That was 10 years ago and digital was in its infancy.

If I was doing it again, I would definitely go Leica route. Every time I pick up my studio Hassy / Leaf back combo, I think that it would be nice to have assistants carry all of it. Traveling fast and light is not quite possible with MF systems.

Also, it takes time to develop shooting style with Leica. I would not want to go travel with a camera I am not familiar with. As nice as Leica is, there is a steep learning curve. It is not a P&S, so you have to really get used to it - practice makes perfect.

Another option would be just to take your Nikon D700 with a 28-70mm style zoom and be done with it. It is much more forgiving.

Either way, you are going to a wonderful place, and I am little jealous! :)

Shashin

Well, I might be the crazy one, but I would take the Blad (and maybe only the Blad). This is really personal, but the image quality is important for me and I have found that medium-format systems travel really well for all kinds of work. I mostly do documentary/street type of stuff and I have found my systems to be fine. When I was doing film, it was a Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612. Now I use a Pentax 645D with a couple of lenses (I have an E-P1 in my bag for those dinner shots and stuff).

I have tried smaller formats from time to time thinking the weight and size would make it better. In some cases I was taking more images. The problem was I was not getting the level or quantity of "keepers." I was just getting those good images with the bigger cameras. Part was to do with the quality, part was I needed to be more focused with them--the Horseman had 6 exposures per roll and I was going to make sure I put effort into each one even if I was blowing through a roll every minute or so.

The camera does not make the photographer, but it does reflect him and his work.

What your answer is, I don't know. A Leica might be the "one." But being easier to travel with would not be my primary criteria for taking it.

I've done a bit of traveling and usually try to go light and/or take what works best for the destination. Visited Rome with a Nikon DSLR and 24/1.4 and 85/1.4, visited New York with an x100. Visited Hong Kong with a Hassy, 28, 50, 80 . My wife and I are joining another photographer and his wife on this holiday photo trip.

Some excellent comments and suggestions which I greatly appreciate. I knew there would be a wide opinion on what to take. Time to ponder.

If I remember correctly, you took your Blad to Hong Kong. How did it work out?
Hong Kong with a Blad was great. Used it for street, skyline, panoramas etc. Even used it inside temples. Here are a few photos from that trip: Joe Marquez - The Smoking Camera | Hong Kong

On this trip I will also be doing a fun shoot with a couple of models in Hanoi and I want to capture the people in their colorful outfits at the local BacHa and CanCau Markets in North Vietnam. If not for this I could probably just take the Blad.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
the M9, a 21 and 50 lux. Or if only one lens, the 28.
What he said! And I don't even have an M9! The Hasselblad is hardly blend-in-with-the-crowd kit, is it, either? Not to mention the sheer value of it.

fotografz

Okay, let's cut to the chase.

Sell all of it except the X100, and get a Leica S2. :eek:

Nothing is capable of clearing out a gear closet like an S2 :ROTFL:

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"

-Marc

cng

Okay, let's cut to the chase.

Sell all of it except the X100, and get a Leica S2. :eek:
I'm surprised no-one has suggested the "new" gazillion megapixel D800, considering that the WWW has been treating it as reality for the last few months. :loco:

Anyway, back to the regular programming ...