The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 28mm testing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know this stuff is boring to some but i do like to share testing results sometimes that I think are relevant to folks that want to buy a certain product. I know there is a lot of interest in this lens and i have been skeptical of the soft lower corners I seen elsewhere and noticed before when i tried it but this looks a lot better . i just did some quick shots to see about distortion and stuff before i get real serious with real work. The 28mm looks to be holding very well on distortion and my corners look really good. Now i shot this at F12 which for me would be normal with doing interiors. Nothing fancy here with lighting just popped off the ranger at full blast.

Guy Mancuso

This one I did not show the corners because i focused in the middle and the corners are very close so there out of focus . So really makes no sense showing them but did add the center crop and the detail is really good. F12 again. I think if you can't stop down more in a shot like this than maybe the focusing software helicon maybe a good choice. Normally without the windows you could stop down more and just add more pops to the flash for that extra DOF needed

Guy Mancuso

I will keep testing this out and post but so far I am really liking this lens a lot. I better there not cheap

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is hard with a 3d subject, where the corners are so much closer than the middle, to really see if the corners are holding up. Hard to tell dof vs field curvature, vs corner aberrations.
A good subject would be the side of an old barn.
-bob

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Don't forget that Capture One 4.5 Pro will offer
- vignette correction/control (the 28mm has SLIGHT fall-out)
- sharpness falloff correction
- barrel distortion correction / pin-cushion correction

All of these will be automatically applied in Capture One 4.5 Pro (with the option to turn them off) which will help these shots look even better.

We'll have a seminar in South Beach the evening of October 14th (the day before the public release) to show off the features/functionality/workflow/tips/tricks of C1 4.5 Pro. Beer will be plentiful.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I can hardly wait to see what they do for sharpness falloff correction :wtf:

-bob

Guy Mancuso

I am looking forward to 4.5 Doug . I bought this lens knowing that improvements can be made in the pro version. I actually planned ahead. Scary thought

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I can hardly wait to see what they do for sharpness falloff correction :wtf:

-bob
My guess is a masked sharpening with smoothly progressive radius. In other words, sharpen for the known radius of real detail for each section of the print so that while micro-detail falls off (unavoidable) the appearance of "unsharpness" is removed while not affecting the part of the image which is optically perfect.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Personal Portfolio

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is a masked sharpening with smoothly progressive radius. In other words, sharpen for the known radius of real detail for each section of the print so that while micro-detail falls off (unavoidable) the appearance of "unsharpness" is removed while not affecting the part of the image which is optically perfect.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Personal Portfolio
So rare in the center and extra crispy at the edges :)
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Don you realize looking at some of the captures you done with it put me over the edge. So far i really like it and it should do exactly what i need. I'm trying to get Jack to pull the trigger on one.:D:D:D

I am a really bad influence to hang out with.

Don Libby

Thanks Don you realize looking at some of the captures you done with it put me over the edge. So far i really like it and it should do exactly what i need. I'm trying to get Jack to pull the trigger on one.:D:D:D

I am a really bad influence to hang out with.
I’m off to the North Rim in a week where among other things I’ll be testing a Cambo WDS P45 with about 3 lenses to boot (thanks Chris & Dave). This will give me a chance to shoot side by side with the P30+ and P45 (not sure if it’ll be a plus back yet) and compare among other things how well the Mamiya 28mm holds up with the P45.

I’ve never shot a TC before and this will also allow me the chance to see if this is where I want to take my landscape work to. Trying not to have any preconceived notions but unless I really can’t grasp the new shooting style (set f/stop, shutter speed, set shutter, etc) I think it’ll be a winner. I’ll have the kit for a week and should have a good enough grasp of what it’ll take to get a good image by the time I have to give it back and place my order. Never thought I’d consider trading my P30+ but will have to if I decide to get the Cambo; good thing is that the trade up to P45+ seems doable.

I plan to share comparisons when I return.

Guy – so it looks like you’ll be set for the house shoot coming up. Looks like I’ll have a quasi-similar gig here in Tucson shooting pre-construction shots for a upcoming second phase (I got to do phase one last year).

don

Just have Jack touch the lens – a good friend of mine, Ken Doo & I have a system that if we touch it we have to buy one (gotta learn to keep my hands in my pocket when I visit him):ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

That's a pretty nice looking lens you got there, Guy. Thanks for the test shots, I was wondering how the lens resolved with a MFDB. It's very impressive to say the least!

Guy Mancuso

Check this out , just really cool how C1 can correct your images and the 28mm CA and or purple fringing that it can have. Normal shot than the crop