The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

it will be super interesting to see Nikon D800 VS Leica S2

doug

... Who would care for dxo as long as we have eyes to see. I dont waste my time with such numbers...
I'm on the same page. I work with numbers every day (writing engineering software) and I know how easy it is to misinterpret numbers. If I'm going to compare image quality I won't look at numbers, I'll look at pictures. Numbers aren't always the complete picture. Pictures are the complete picture.

fotografz

If S2 owners were not so quick to defend, then why all the S2 photographs to show how amazing they are. Although, the thread title is D800e vs S2, there's no production models with prime lenses yet to compare it to the S2. They're two different camera formats,(sort of) so what's to compare other than the fact that there close in MP's and approximately $35,000 difference in price for just one lens S2? I demoed an S2 for a possible purchase, I had it for a week. I loved the form factor, and weather sealing, my intent was to use this for portraits and landscapes, but there was little room for cropping, if needed, and the colors were to "crunchy", and needed dialing back right out of the camera. Having an H4D/40, I couldn't justify what seemed to me a 35mm camera on steroids, and I guess that's why all the comparisons. The S2 is a fantastic camera, for what it is, but I admittedly kept comparing it to a 35mm, and that's exactly why I decided against it. Those who did, you have a fine camera, but let's be honest about these comparisons.
Yes, I agree ... they are amazing :D

It wasn't a S2 owner conjuring up the comparison notion now was it?

Don't know when you demoed the S2, or what profile you used, or what settings, so it's impossible to know what you are talking about, nor what "crunchy" colors even mean. All I know is that you cannot default sharpen these files because the lenses are so sharp to start with, and the camera has had a number of firmware updates and a significant profile update so far ...

However, I did compare the S2 to my H4D/40 and current Sony A900 for over two weeks ... which is exactly why I went for it. Different strokes for different folks. Hardly use the Sony anymore. In fact, no need for a D800 either. I am far more intrigued by the D4 or Canon 1DX for 35mm work ... no compromise blinding speed and true low ambient light work. Keeps those horse on different courses instead of running against each other. Did the same with MFD, no confusing the S2 with my big gun H4D/60 ... rationally planned separation of powers.

Without the applications I now have, a D800 and D4 ... OR 1DX and heavily rumored 45 meg 5DX ... would be a no-brainer decision.

Application, application, application, drives the decisions, and it is there that all the differences being discussed emanate from, not the gear.

-Marc

Paratom

If S2 owners were not so quick to defend, then why all the S2 photographs to show how amazing they are. Although, the thread title is D800e vs S2, there's no production models with prime lenses yet to compare it to the S2. They're two different camera formats,(sort of) so what's to compare other than the fact that there close in MP's and approximately $35,000 difference in price for just one lens S2? I demoed an S2 for a possible purchase, I had it for a week. I loved the form factor, and weather sealing, my intent was to use this for portraits and landscapes, but there was little room for cropping, if needed, and the colors were to "crunchy", and needed dialing back right out of the camera. Having an H4D/40, I couldn't justify what seemed to me a 35mm camera on steroids, and I guess that's why all the comparisons. The S2 is a fantastic camera, for what it is, but I admittedly kept comparing it to a 35mm, and that's exactly why I decided against it. Those who did, you have a fine camera, but let's be honest about these comparisons.
Johnny,
for my part I will now stop in this discussion.
I dont care if a camera belongs to 35mm or to mf cameras or how it compares on paper to a different camera. For me it is important that I like the user interface and that I like the results.
And I dont want to do marketing for a camera. It is totally fine for me if other people prefer other cameras. I just try to post if I get the feeling that something is described in a way I did not experience and than see the risk that other people get an one sided impression.
For some reason I dont understand why posting images means "defending" something and that written text should be the better medium to compare image quality of cameras.
You found what works best for you and I found what works best for me. Happy shooting,Tom

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with this sort of data-free thread is that it invites all the thrust and parry of all of us opinionated folks without shedding any light on the subject.

It would be just as valid to wonder why a raven is like a writing desk.

-bob

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
it is at the heart of my scientific believes that generally 'numbers' have a deep impact on reality and that they are able to represent a strong part of what we perceive
Not as I understand it—numbers have no impact on reality at all; at best they are one of the descriptions humans have of reality. They are able to represent aspects of what we perceive, to be sure, but the experience is primary or, more accurately, we postulate that there is Reality (Wilden) and reality (individual experiences of it). Helpful reading here is Korzybski and others ("the map is not the territory" guy).

and, Bob, just why is that raven like a writing desk? :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Not as I understand it—numbers have no impact on reality at all; at best they are one of the descriptions humans have of reality. They are able to represent aspects of what we perceive, to be sure, but the experience is primary or, more accurately, we postulate that there is Reality (Wilden) and reality (individual experiences of it). Helpful reading here is Korzybski and others ("the map is not the territory" guy).

Well, they both have mass and neither of them is for sale in a produce stand.
-bob

markowich

isn'nt it that scientists are from venus and philosophers from mars?
peter

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
markowich; it's all good fun, and it's possible to be both a scientist and a philosopher; my science research led me to philosophy. Cheers, Kit

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Now this is a better discussion. Maybe a more enlightening thread question would be: How does your profession impact your gear choices and ultimately, your photography?

fotografz

Now this is a better discussion. Maybe a more enlightening thread question would be: How does your profession impact your gear choices and ultimately, your photography?
Ask that in "Other Discussions" ... I think it would actually be a very interesting subject.

-Marc

Shashin

But neither of them beats Film!!!

(Just thought this topic needs a little shot in the arm, take it away boys...)

:watch:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
But neither of them beats Film!!!

(Just thought this topic needs a little shot in the arm, take it away boys...)

:watch:
I really prefer the look of wet plate collodion.
film is such crap and is just too bendy.
-bob