The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PC Laptop for MF tethered shooting

Ben Rubinstein

Can you educate me please in the differences between the screens they offer? I'm not really a flat screen guru I'm afraid and would appreciate a primer in how these workstation screens differ, thanks!

T.Karma

I am doing this from memory and I am not an expert on this but here it goes.

DELL and HP will give you an optional IPS screen, which offers better viewing angles than regular screens. They both work with RGB LED technology which means each color channel has its own LED, in contrast to regular white LED backlit panels. This results in a wider color gamut, 100% Adobe RGB, if my memory serves me well.

Ben Rubinstein

Question is if I need that level of accuracy to be honest, I'll be balancing colour from colour charts and I'm shooting documents not skin tones. Stuff like wider gamut isn't actually that important for my uses, especially when on the road where all I want is a screen accurate enough to check what I'm doing on the first frame prior to using it as a template for an entire session. I need a good video card for the programs to use as GPU but super accurate screens, not sure. IPS would be useful though, I have to check if Lenovo offer it. Dell do have good service here, lots of research :D

T.Karma

Question is if I need that level of accuracy to be honest, I'll be balancing colour from colour charts and I'm shooting documents not skin tones. Stuff like wider gamut isn't actually that important for my uses, especially when on the road where all I want is a screen accurate enough to check what I'm doing on the first frame prior to using it as a template for an entire session. I need a good video card for the programs to use as GPU but super accurate screens, not sure. IPS would be useful though, I have to check if Lenovo offer it. Dell do have good service here, lots of research :D
If you do not need color accuracy, then it is another matter of course. For me it is no question, that once I start to budget 2K$ or more for a laptop, I will go all the way. Those people having it say the RGB LED displays are the best feature and wont give it up, speaking night and day difference to other displays.
Testing still has to be done though as soon as I get a chance.

Ben Rubinstein

Battery life on the Dell is significantly below the Lenovo, like between half to a third, it's not enough even to keep me going through a flight. QC also seems to be a bit iffy from web reports which is worrying me on such an expensive machine.

T.Karma

Battery life on the Dell is significantly below the Lenovo, like between half to a third, it's not enough even to keep me going through a flight. QC also seems to be a bit iffy from web reports which is worrying me on such an expensive machine.
Yep, maybe two hours for the DELL. But workstations are all like this. Lenovo has longer life cause the proc speed is reduced when it runs on battery, please check it, I am not really sure.
Buy BIG extra batteries. :)

T.Karma

Regarding QC; I cannot judge. I have not heared from anyone having to get a Precision replaced.
One thing I really like about the M4600 is that it has a separate number pad. The whole width is used for the keyboard, something that I really dislike on the Mac ProBooks is how they waste the space.

Ben Rubinstein

Turns out I can't get custom built Dell or Lenovo here in Jerusalem and the UK version of the Lenovo doesn't offer the built in calibrator. Very annoying.

T

testshoot

Gents, I know this is a bit late, but perhaps I can help you. I would make a suggestion for an Alienware. I use an Alienware M18X, and I am about to purchase a new H4D and an expresscard that is powered 1394b/a

The cons being that they are pricey, and heavy, and battery life is not spectacular are things to consider, BUT the upside is much better than you may think. You literally call these DTRs aka "Desktop Replacements". I am not sure what you shoot, but tethering usually powers the back, and no laptop out there is going to last a whole shoot off the internal battery. i shoot girls, a lot, and in a few weeks, live tigers, so I will be tethered for sure.

1) no fault warranties, you drop it, they fix it
2) SOLID! very, very solid
3) gfx cards that make color calibration and integrate with the Adobe suites very well
4) power! they have a wide variety of CPU options
5) expandable, most have dual drive bay options

Ok, so it may be a bit much but it may spark some interest.

My rig is 32gb, 256gb (SSD), and a 750gb data drive, 18" monitor.

I will make a video after next week's shoot and youtube it.