The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Fuji GX680 shooters with MFDB?

FredBGG

Not Available
Sorry for the ignorant request, but what are the lenses available for this system and their FOV equivalent in 35mm. I'm fairly new to my MF system (Mamiya 645) and I still find it helpful to compare FOV's to 35mm. I'd also appreciate samples and suggestions for which lenses to get. I shoot mostly portraits, food and fashion, as well as some product.

Here is a list of the lenses made for the GX 680
and 35mm equivalent focal length to 35mm when
using the 689 with 6x8 film back

50mm =23mm
65mm =30mm
80mm =37mm
100mm =46mm
115mm =53mm
125mm =57mm
135mm =62mm
150mm =69mm
180mm =82mm
210mm =96mm
250mm =115mm
300mm =137mm
500mm =229mm

100-200mm =46-92 Zoom

With a MF digital back used on the back of a Fuji gx680 the 35mm equivalent needs to be multiplied by about 1.5x

JasonQuibilan

50mm =23mm
65mm =30mm
80mm =37mm
100mm =46mm
115mm =53mm
125mm =57mm
135mm =62mm
150mm =69mm
180mm =82mm
210mm =96mm
250mm =115mm
300mm =137mm
500mm =229mm

100-200mm =46-92 Zoom

With a MF digital back used on the back of a Fuji gx680 the 35mm equivalent needs to be multiplied by about 1.5x

Nice! Thanks so much for this!:D

RGoldman

I would love to shoot with one of these for my food work. I will have to look into possibly renting one for a week or so. I haven't seen anything for sale for quite a while other than ebay.
Graham, you are only about 20 miles from me. If you ever want to go in on rental for a week or two, let me know.

Ron

Steve Hendrix

50mm =23mm
65mm =30mm
80mm =37mm
100mm =46mm
115mm =53mm
125mm =57mm
135mm =62mm
150mm =69mm
180mm =82mm
210mm =96mm
250mm =115mm
300mm =137mm
500mm =229mm

100-200mm =46-92 Zoom

Digital equivalents (for 35mm) on medium format sensors:

680 Lens =44 x 33 =49 x 37 =54 x 41
50mm =39mm =35mm =32mm
65mm =51mm =46mm =42mm
80mm =63mm =56mm =51mm
100mm =79mm =71mm =64mm
115mm =91mm =81mm =74mm
125mm =99mm =88mm =80mm
135mm =106mm =95mm =87mm
150mm =118mm =106mm =96mm
180mm =142mm =127mm =116mm
210mm =166mm =148mm =135mm
250mm =197mm =176mm =161mm
300mm =237mm =212mm =193mm
500mm =394mm =353mm =321mm

100-200mm =79-158 =71-142 =64-128

Sorry for the sloppy columns.

Steve Hendrix

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks for the info folks. This is all very useful and encouraging. I need another camera system like I need a hole in the head but I confess that this platform does look like it could be an relatively inexpensive system to have some creative fun with.

P

Pjotre

Hi to all of you who own one of these Chinese adapterplates....

If I mount that plate the GX 689III is beeping und indicating an error on the small display asside the viewfindermount. Changing to a e.g. polaback, everything is fine. How can I outflack the backdetection?

Up to now I´m just testing, I got no Kapture Group sync box or so. I just thougt about a double trigger as on a Sinar in old days... wake up the back, press the shutter. im not in a hurry in the GX, so why not. The Kapture Group sync box may be more comfortable but...
My system: GX 680 III // P25+ // Jieyning-Plate

Thx!

P

Pjotre

Thanks Gerald u made my day!

The error notifikation is still there, but it allowes me to trigger the cam.
I must have known it, but... :deadhorse: its always that way!
Whatever, Thanks a lot, now I can move on!

jars121

Hey everyone, I've recently acquired a mk.III with the 250mm f/5.6, and I'm completely in love with it. I was hoping someone here could recommend a bag to be used with this kit, considering it's size?! I've looked at the interior dimensions of the bags I'd like to use with this kit (Lowepro Vertex 300, ProRunner 450, Pro Roller x300 etc), but the interior dimensions all seem slightly too small. I will be adding the 50mm/65mm, the 80mm, the 115mm/125mm and potentially the 190mm soft focus in due time as well. I've currently got the standard prism finder, but I'll be looking to get the WLVF as well, mainly for use on the body when it's stored in the bag. Hopefully someone here has used one/several of the aforementioned bags or similar.

Many thanks!

P

Pjotre

Hi jars121,

welcome to the beastowner club.... I consider you won´t be happy with a bag, unless it is a roller... especially with all that lenses as welll!
Have you ever thought about hard cases? eg.: Vanguard, Peli...
I guess something like the Vanguard Supreme 53D would perfekt for your needs.

Yours Pjotre

malmac

Hey everyone, I've recently acquired a mk.III with the 250mm f/5.6, and I'm completely in love with it. I was hoping someone here could recommend a bag to be used with this kit, considering it's size?! I've looked at the interior dimensions of the bags I'd like to use with this kit (Lowepro Vertex 300, ProRunner 450, Pro Roller x300 etc), but the interior dimensions all seem slightly too small. I will be adding the 50mm/65mm, the 80mm, the 115mm/125mm and potentially the 190mm soft focus in due time as well. I've currently got the standard prism finder, but I'll be looking to get the WLVF as well, mainly for use on the body when it's stored in the bag. Hopefully someone here has used one/several of the aforementioned bags or similar.

Many thanks!
Congratulations.

I for one look forward to hearing how the experience unfolds and also to see some of your images.

Cheers

Mal

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Congrats with the beast! I use a Think Tank Airport Addicted. Works fine even when I'm on a motorbike if I let most of the weight ride on the saddle. It's a little bit shallow though, and is really best suited for the IIIs model (I have both of the III models) which is the one I'm using for travel. It rooms camera body, two lenses (one in the box and one on the camera), the AE viewfinder in it's box (without it, I could take two more lenses, but the AE finder is so great) and two extra film holders plus the compendium shade.

I'm also considering the backpacks from f-stop gear, but their ICUs don't seem to be any deeper than the TT. They are more comfortable to carry though.

I have an AE Viewfinder III for sale btw. I ended up with two them during a shopping spree. I only need one, and I'm selling the other for the same price as I paid, $1,200. It's expensive, but it's a great piece of gear, and the metering works well. It's also very bright. Comes with case and instruction manual.

Edit:
I have a 180mm/5.6 also for sale btw. for a low price. I also have the 180/3.2 and don't need both.

jars121

Hi jars121,

welcome to the beastowner club.... I consider you won´t be happy with a bag, unless it is a roller... especially with all that lenses as welll!
Have you ever thought about hard cases? eg.: Vanguard, Peli...
I guess something like the Vanguard Supreme 53D would perfekt for your needs.

Yours Pjotre
G'day Pjotre, thanks for the welcome, it's great to be here! I've got a hardcase (read: Pelican knock-off from local hardware store) with the customisable foam for my Fuji G617, which has been amazing. My only concern with going down this road for the 680, is that this kit is going to involve a much greater volume of parts (ie. 2 backs, remote release cable, multiple viewfinders etc), and the weight will become an issue quickly. More importantly, I plan on using this camera primarily in the field, so I'd like to be able to strap it securely to my back, as opposed to relying on even/smooth ground to roll it. I understand that carrying this kit would be quite a workout, but I'm a fit 23 year old, I'm up to it!

Congratulations.

I for one look forward to hearing how the experience unfolds and also to see some of your images.

Cheers

Mal
Thanks Mal, I look forward to posting some images in the near future!

Congrats with the beast! I use a Think Tank Airport Addicted. Works fine even when I'm on a motorbike if I let most of the weight ride on the saddle. It's a little bit shallow though, and is really best suited for the IIIs model (I have both of the III models) which is the one I'm using for travel. It rooms camera body, two lenses (one in the box and one on the camera), the AE viewfinder in it's box (without it, I could take two more lenses, but the AE finder is so great) and two extra film holders plus the compendium shade.

I'm also considering the backpacks from f-stop gear, but their ICUs don't seem to be any deeper than the TT. They are more comfortable to carry though.

I have an AE Viewfinder III for sale btw. I ended up with two them during a shopping spree. I only need one, and I'm selling the other for the same price as I paid, $1,200. It's expensive, but it's a great piece of gear, and the metering works well. It's also very bright. Comes with case and instruction manual.

Edit:
I have a 180mm/5.6 also for sale btw. for a low price. I also have the 180/3.2 and don't need both.
Jorgen, your post is both reinforcing and confusing! I've done a lot of research into the Think Tank bags, and I really like the airport range. However, the model you specified has an internal depth of 16.5cm, which is ~5cm shallower than the mk.III body, which has got me confused. This is the problem I've found with all the bags of researched, as none of them have been deeper than ~18cm. I guess there must be some 'play' in the the depth of the bag, depending on how full it is etc. As for the 180mm, I'm currently in negotiations for a f/3.2 version, which (from what I've seen online) is a stellar piece of glass!

GrahamWelland

My only concern with going down this road for the 680, is that this kit is going to involve a much greater volume of parts (ie. 2 backs, remote release cable, multiple viewfinders etc), and the weight will become an issue quickly. More importantly, I plan on using this camera primarily in the field, so I'd like to be able to strap it securely to my back, as opposed to relying on even/smooth ground to roll it. I understand that carrying this kit would be quite a workout, but I'm a fit 23 year old, I'm up to it!

I've done a lot of research into the Think Tank bags, and I really like the airport range. However, the model you specified has an internal depth of 16.5cm, which is ~5cm shallower than the mk.III body, which has got me confused. This is the problem I've found with all the bags of researched, as none of them have been deeper than ~18cm. I guess there must be some 'play' in the the depth of the bag, depending on how full it is etc.
Have you looked at the F-Stop bags? I use the F-Stop Tilopa and Satori bags which have internal camera units (ICU) that are 16.5cm deep, although in practice are much deeper when you configure them without the foam in their lids (the bag back is padded so 2x is unnecessary). I carry an Alpa 12 STC with tilt adapter & iPhone adapter mount and it is about 17-18cm in depth and fits perfectly in the bag without any issues even though it is slightly higher than the ICU depth.

Take a look at f-stop gear ICU & Mountain bags

In addition to being extremely versatile I have found these bags to be the most comfortable backpacks I've ever used and you can hike for miles with them. :thumbs:

jars121

Have you looked at the F-Stop bags? I use the F-Stop Tilopa and Satori bags which have internal camera units (ICU) that are 16.5cm deep, although in practice are much deeper when you configure them without the foam in their lids (the bag back is padded so 2x is unnecessary). I carry an Alpa 12 STC with tilt adapter & iPhone adapter mount and it is about 17-18cm in depth and fits perfectly in the bag without any issues even though it is slightly higher than the ICU depth.

Take a look at f-stop gear ICU & Mountain bags

In addition to being extremely versatile I have found these bags to be the most comfortable backpacks I've ever used and you can hike for miles with them. :thumbs:
Thanks for that Graham, I'll have to add them to the list of potentials. Who would have thought that the hardest thing about buying into a new system would be choosing the bag that stores it?!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, your post is both reinforcing and confusing! I've done a lot of research into the Think Tank bags, and I really like the airport range. However, the model you specified has an internal depth of 16.5cm, which is ~5cm shallower than the mk.III body, which has got me confused. This is the problem I've found with all the bags of researched, as none of them have been deeper than ~18cm. I guess there must be some 'play' in the the depth of the bag, depending on how full it is etc. As for the 180mm, I'm currently in negotiations for a f/3.2 version, which (from what I've seen online) is a stellar piece of glass!
The height inside the Airport Addicted varies a couple of cm, and it's rather elastic. The IIIs is a better fit than the III, and I have to replaces the viewfinder on the III with a piece of foam to make it fit. I agree with Graham that F-stop Gear seems to be the best solution, and they are much, much more comfortable to carry. The Airport addicted is basically a foam box with straps attached. It's strong, but in constant conflict with the shape of the human body. Great for air travel though, since it's the maximum size for most overhead bins in all dimensions, and it's much lighter than the wheeled alternatives.

AndyPtak

Nice to see that this thread just keeps on going. I have a Lowepro 300 and it's perfect for my kit - Fuji body, numerous lenses, P25 back, cables, tripod head, acessories etc.

Jorgen - care to PM me aboutthe AE finder? Thanks

jars121

Nice to see that this thread just keeps on going. I have a Lowepro 300 and it's perfect for my kit - Fuji body, numerous lenses, P25 back, cables, tripod head, acessories etc.

Jorgen - care to PM me aboutthe AE finder? Thanks
Hey Andy, which 300 do you have? The Vertex? That's the bag I've always wanted, so it would be great if that's the one you've got!

GrahamWelland

You have to respect Fred's love for the Fuji and those traditional shoulder bags certainly were designed for the Fuji & Mamiya RB/RZ outfits. I have a big Billingham MF bag that I suspect will last longer than anything I put in it.

Btw, Fred get's a hard time on some of the forums but you absolutely must take the time to see his images. I for one have total respect for his insights and his work. Often forums present a different impression of someone than reality.