The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does your Mamiya Af lens rattle off the camera?

nreeque

Hello, some one pointed me to this forum which seems like a great resource and searched for this but couldn't find an answer.

Piecing together a Mamiya 645AF kit and just received my 80mm AF which is in great condition but when i pick it up and move it around it rattles as if there is something loose inside. I tried holding down the screw button but the sound is still there. It will be a week or so till i have the body in my hands and i can test it operationally if its working but i have a return period on this lens and was curious if this is normal?

From my understanding some of the old leaf shutter lenses made a similar sound but I was not expecting it from this Af lens. Is this something that goes away when mounted on the cam (doubt it)

any help is appreciated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Some of the older Mamiya AF lenses do indeed rattle when not attached to the body. If I recall correctly, it should stop rattling when you turn the ring on the lens to the MF position.

nreeque

Thanks for the prompt reply. Holding the focusing screw tightly does reduce the rattle. Im assuming the torque from the drive screw on the camera body will indeed keep it mostly quiet when on the body. Body should be here this saturday and cant wait. Its been 8+ years since I last shot anything larger than 35mm.