The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 compared to MF bigger brothers

David Klepacki

Jack, again more misinformation here. Hasselblad V dead??? Since when? The Hasselblad V system is very much alive. Just go to their website and see for yourself, or call any Hasselblad dealer. They will be happy to take your order for a brand new V system. The 503CW/CWD is still being offered with a full array of brand new CFi and CFE leaf shutter lenses, and they recently introduced a new CFV-II digitial back for it. And, of course, it is fulliy OEM supported. So, maybe you have to revise your definition of "dead", as it is unclear in your example of Hasselblad V.

As far as you insisting on being able to buy things brand new, how much of your gear was actually purchased brand new in the first place? A lot of people save money by buying used or refurb equipment. And for that matter, what are we to think about the Buy and Sell forum here? Are you only endorsing the purchase of new products only, and recommend that people stay away from anything that could be deemed "dead"?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ok,
I have enough,
Whateva you folks wanna think that is ok with me.
Dead or not or simply no longer made or maybe just well preserved.
My own experience is that once we got beyond the graflex lensboard then all bets were off. Stuff was made for specific lines.
Now will somebody will make a new Pentax thread mount lens for me?
Probably not.
I have a really dead ferrotype plate around my basement somewhere. You know, the old chrome kind.
anybody want to argue with that? :ROTFL:
It might be useful, but my roller has dried out.:mad:
It is all cruft in the end, whenever that is...
-bob

David Klepacki

OK, I will be the first to ask for a truce in this discussion.....I do not enjoy writing these things. In fact, I thought this was over until someone starting fanning the flames again.

So, can we just move on and enjoy our shooting, with whatever system we may enjoy. I do not find it healthy to debate this any longer...and besides, I do not want Victor to blow an artery as well.

Please no one start calling any system dead, and let's move on.

gogopix

Subscriber
OK, I will be the first to ask for a truce in this discussion.....I do not enjoy writing these things. In fact, I thought this was over until someone starting fanning the flames again.

So, can we just move on and enjoy our shooting, with whatever system we may enjoy. I do not find it healthy to debate this any longer...and besides, I do not want Victor to blow an artery as well.

Please no one start calling any system dead, and let's move on.
No worry David
just had my annual; BP 118/68

I was actually refering to other guys.....:D

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The only dead thing that concerns me about MF gear is all of the dead presidents that fly out of my wallet every time I buy something else.

A

andershald

I want......:eek: (copied from a post on LL)
Holy s*** :bugeyes:

I just blew an artery looking at that image. Oh my, I will dream about that all night! (and all of tomorrow, and probably for the next year)

Gee thanks robmac, hope you are happy now! :mad:

Nah, it's all good :thumbs: what a wonderful image!

Best regards,
Anders

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If I were on better terms with either of my Senators, I would have hoped that there would have been some pork for me. I think that Massachusetts really deserves to have a lens collection like this too.
-bob

Well, at least Barney Frank is getting his.....

robmac

I like pain ;>

Damn near stopped my heart when I saw it.

Drop me an email address and I''ll send the larger version (450K) - or hit LL and the 'show us your rig' or some such thread in the MFD forum.

You're one right-click away from a desktop pic that will make your wallet want to pour lighter fluid on itself and walk into the fireplace. :scry:

Next time a see a nice priced Contax kit I may just buy it - even if just to shoot film until the camera budget starts breeding more little camera budgets.

Reminds me of the Ducatis wife and I used to own - you just wanted sit in the garage with a drink and a cigar when the snow was 3' deep and stare at the suckers.

Damn, that looks almost too good to use.

Cheers

R

Holy s*** :bugeyes:

I just blew an artery looking at that image. Oh my, I will dream about that all night! (and all of tomorrow, and probably for the next year)

Gee thanks robmac, hope you are happy now! :mad:

Nah, it's all good :thumbs: what a wonderful image!

Best regards,
Anders

waynelake

Yes, and I got my Lotto ticket, drawn tonight, $20 million... its never that high where I am. Would never forgive myself, no choice, get ticket...

Contax? If I got one, think I'd want 2 bodies in case one decided not to work, get repaired...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So, the answer to both of your questions is "no", but
No offense David, but for most pro's there is no "but" after the twin "no's" and no point discussing that point any further. I agree it is a different situation altogether for hobbyists and amateurs.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, again more misinformation here. Hasselblad V dead???
I was using Hassy V as an example to make a slightly different point -- that as a deep system that's been around for years, at least turning to it you have a long supply of replacements even if it were dead -- and granted that probably confused the issue further rather than settling it, my bad.

Regardless, I stand by my comments and the concepts I illustrated with them; and I stand by and agree with Guy's cautions to newcomers about buying into a system that no longer has an OEM to support it; a system that has no future as far as upgrades and improvements is concerned. If they -- pro or amateur -- still want to buy into that system knowing that, then by all means they are welcome to do so.

Cheers,

David Klepacki

...Regardless, I stand by my comments and the concepts I illustrated with them; and I stand by and agree with Guy's cautions to newcomers about buying into a system that no longer has an OEM to support it; a system that has no future as far as upgrades and improvements is concerned. If they -- pro or amateur -- still want to buy into that system knowing that, then by all means they are welcome to do so...
Fair enough. I also stand by my comments and the positions of all the major digital back makers (Hasselblad, Phase, Leaf and Sinar), as they continue to support the Contax 645 with their best digital backs. The same level of support is still available, and there are so many happy Contax users out there.

I do agree with you that both pro and amateur be cautious with their purchases. I stick with my advice that the Contax should still be considered as a low risk alternative, not only because of its outstanding Zeiss optics and capabilities, but also because the financial risk is minimal, as the price of an entire kit is about the same cost as a single lens in many of the newer systems being offered today.

I also think you are missing a major point here. It is not that the Contax 645 itself will have no future upgrades or improvements, but the high end digital back to which it is attached will have a future. Therefore, a photographer can put more money into this part of his system that does have a future, namely a higher end digital back. It would allow the use of the latest sensor technology that could offer much higher image quality as a result. In the end, it is the quality of the image file that counts.

The ability to use high quality Zeiss optics with a higher end, more flexible and capable digital back (like the new P65+ or Aptus 10 backs) is an ideal situation for photographers who are already stretching their budgets. And, a digital back can be easily extended to other camera systems beyond the Contax 645, like the Alpa rangefinders and the various view camera options from Linhof, Sinar, Arca-Swiss, etc.. This is something that the Leica S2 will never be able to do.

So, I still think the combination of Zeiss optics and a nice digital back will make more sense for many photographers than dumping a ton of money into a fixed and smaller sensor technology from Leica.

PSon

I would like to contribute to this thread with pure sincerity to elaborate some information on the Contax 645 system so that those who use this system will benefit from:

1. About over two years ago when Hasselblad announced the close system to their Hasselblad H system and Sinar/Leaf announced the introduction of the Hy6 protocol, PhaseOne went out and bought all of the remaining Contax 645 inventories. Thus explained why if you own the PhaseOne back in Contax 645 mount and your camera went down PhaseOne will have a replacement for you to work the next day. Capture Integration is one of this company that will service you right. This explain why andershald can get a brand new Contax 645 kit from PhaseOne dealers.

2. I believe in integration of different systems to make a whole. For example, I find the Contax 645 system to have the best mirror vibration and shutter lag and simply work so will when the condition is required. For example, I can put my Hasselbald Superachromat 2.8/300 on the Hasselblad 200 series camera with mirror up and all and still get vibration from the shutter. I also put this on the Contax 645 body and I get result despite manually stopped down. In addition, to find the Hasselblad Apo Tele-Converter T* 1.4x for the Hasselbald superachromat 5.6/350 FE is next to impossible (eventually found one btw) but the Contax 645 Tele-Converter 1.4x can be used to replace the Hasselblad version simply by using the Contax 645 camera. In addition, the Contax 645 Tele-converter (TC) was half the price of the Hasselblad TC. Another example, I can use the Hasselbad PC Mutar 1.4x Tele-Converter for simple horizontal stitching on both the Contax 645 and PhaseOne/Mamiya 645.

3. Beside mentally bias but physiologically one choose one system over another system. For example, my hands are not huge (please keep this in the close community here, LOL) and when I used the Mamiya AFD and AFD II, I had a hard time of holding the camera compfortably whereas the Contax 645 is very easy on my hand. This may not applied to other folks such as Jack who is rather a big man.

4. The Contax user group is not as big as the Leica user group, but they also share similar love for their systems. Like Leica users, I sympathize with the Contax users in that their companies do not treat them right. You can read all kind of stories about Leica. Despite the up and down, the Leica and Contax systems continue to get supports from their users. For example, the Leica DMR is no longer being supported by Leica today but it still holds its value very high. Similar to the Leica system, the Contax 645 system are one of the most in demand system even up to today digital and film markets.

5. Style and Photography preferences. The Contax 645 system was the first modern Auto Focus 645 systems to have the waist level finder and still one of the two in today market. Thus the system is very useful for product and landscape works. This is why folks love the Mamiya RZ67 system. For example, the Mamiya RB67 and RZ67 systems have extremely bright focusing screen and viewing through the waist level finder is very helpful for photographers to do product and landscape applications.

Thus the final analysis is within ourselves, the available tools in existence today is very capable to facilitate our applications. One of the areas where we are seeing progress, growth, research and development is the Large format system being transformed into the medium format system to meet the precision of the smaller format size in digital and optic resolution requirement. I look forward to see the coming development of perspective control systems and hope that the new technology will facilitate photographers in these fields for their works. On the same token I continue to respect the past and present tools.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

PSon

I would like to contribute to this thread with pure sincerity to elaborate some information on the Contax 645 system so that those who use this system will benefit from:

1. About over two years ago when Hasselblad announced the close system to their Hasselblad H system and Sinar/Leaf announced the introduction of the Hy6 protocol, PhaseOne went out and bought all of the remaining Contax 645 inventories. Thus explained why if you own the PhaseOne back in Contax 645 mount and your camera went down PhaseOne will have a replacement for you to work the next day. Capture Integration is one of this company that will service you right.

2. I believe in integration of different systems to make a whole. For example, I find the Contax 645 system to have the best mirror vibration and shutter lag and simply work so will when the condition is required. For example, I can put my Hasselbald Superachromat 2.8/300 on the Hasselblad 200 series camera with mirror up and all and still get vibration from the shutter. I also put this on the Contax 645 body and I get result despite manually stopped down. In addition, to find the Hasselblad Apo Tele-Converter T* 1.4x for the Hasselbald superachromat 5.6/350 FE is next to impossible (eventually found one btw) but the Contax 645 Tele-Converter 1.4x can be used to replace the Hasselblad version simply by using the Contax 645 camera. In addition, the Contax 645 Tele-converter (TC) was half the price of the Hasselblad TC. Another example is the I can use the Hasselbad PC Mutar 1.4x Tele-Converter for simple horizontal stitching on both the Contax 645 and PhaseOne/Mamiya 645.

3. Beside mentally bias but physiologically one choose one system over another system. For example, my hands are not huge (please keep this in the close community here, LOL) and when I used the Mamiya AFD and AFD II, I had a hard time of holding the camera compfortably whereas the Contax 645 is very easy on my hand. This may not applied to other folks such as Jack who is rather a big man.

4. The Contax followers are not as big as the Leica followers but they really love their systems. Similar to Leica I sympathize with them in that their companies do not treat them right. You can read all kind of stories about Leica. Despite the up and down, the Leica and Contax systems continue to get supports from their users. For example, the Leica DMR is no longer being supported by Leica today but it still holds its value very high. Similar to the Leica system, the Contax 645 system are one of the most in demand system even up to today market.

5. Style and Photography preferences. The Contax 645 system has the waist level finder and thus very useful for product and landscape works. This is why folks love the Mamiya RZ67 system for example is the bright waist level finder for them to do product and landscape applications.

Thus the final analysis is within ourselves, the available tools in existence today is very capable to facilitate our applications. One of the areas where we are seeing progress, growth, research and development is the Large format system being transformed into the medium format system to meet the precision of the smaller format size and optic resolution. I look forward to see new system in the horizon but at the same time continue to respect the past and present tools.

Best Regards,
-Son

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David wrote
Fair enough. I also stand by my comments and the positions of all the major digital back makers (Hasselblad, Phase, Leaf and Sinar), as they continue to support the Contax 645 with their best digital backs. The same level of support is still available, and there are so many happy Contax users out there.

From Thierry's post the new Sinar 65 back will not work with Contax and are not going to support the Contax mount. This may have changed but i would look into it first with Sinar. But i expect to see as time marches on this could become a common theme among the back makers as the Contax systems get's older and less shooters are using it . Time does march on no matter what anyone says.

David wrote
I also think you are missing a major point here. It is not that the Contax 645 itself will have no future upgrades or improvements, but the high end digital back to which it is attached will have a future. Therefore, a photographer can put more money into this part of his system that does have a future, namely a higher end digital back.

Also if you have to make a change from Contax to another system or any system there is a cost involved with almost any back. For some backs you need to make a mount change that from what I understand about 3k and has to go back to the original OEM to have that done, for Phase if you have a classic warranty you pay a value added you get one for free but the warranty is 3k. I do not know the fees involved with leaf but know there is a cost involved. The Sinar backs you can make the adapter change yourself but they also come at a cost that is not exactly cheap either about 2k from what David Kipper has mentioned to me. Bottom line nothing is free to make a change down the road with the existing back you own. I would imagine the same with Hassy backs that work with Contax

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David wrote
So, I still think the combination of Zeiss optics and a nice digital back will make more sense for many photographers than dumping a ton of money into a fixed and smaller sensor technology from Leica.

First we do not know the amount of money and let's not speculate because from many sources the number is between 12k and 45k. i also do not agree it will make more sense with a separate back and body, for some obviously if the use of tech camera's will be involved and for many MF shooters this maybe a addition too . For many shooters this maybe the ideal setup and do not care about removing the back or switching systems later. This camera represents many technologies not available in others and the sheer speed of it will appeal to many shooters that want more from 35mm. This on paper as it is today the fastest thing in MF it would appear 1.5 fps is certainly faster than many of the high res comparable backs today. Obviously some of that will improve and has. But also i hear instant review and instant zooming because besides the new Sinar the only back that will do jpeg and raw. leica is also shooting for ISO 1600 and maybe ISO 3200 which be all counts the only back that does ISO 1600 today is the P30 plus. it is a smaller more nimble camera and has at least four leaf lenses slated for release with camera plus more FPS lenses to follow. Now one has a 30mm T/S lens a 24mm FPS lens. i could name other benefits to this system but i think if priced correctly upon release it will sell and sell well. There are many 35mm shooters that want to move up but maintain some what the speed but looking for that extra quality of file. leica glass after 5 years of shooting it is some of the best around , no question. Let's face facts leica is not stupid either and would not base there survival on a whole new line of product if they did not have a good feel for the market and think this would not sell. The DMR and M8 represent some of the best images i have ever seen or shot with when it comes to 35mm, i owned them both and two of each. i would certainly not bury this idea and new line before it hits the streets . i already know many folks if priced correctly are all over this system if Leica has all there ducks lined up correctly. This is a new breed and i think a great idea.

David Klepacki

Guy, it looks like you are getting pretty desperate in trying to label the Contax as dead. While it is true that the entry level Esprit system from Sinar does not currently offer an adapter for the Contax, it is not completely out of the question if there is demand. Sinar has already determined that their Contax based customers are almost unanimously using their eMotion backs, and that they will continue to support that Contax user base on their eMotion system.

Of course, PhaseOne, Leaf, and Hasselblad all have strong support for the Contax 645.

As far as changing from a Contax system to another system. I guarantee you that it will be more costly to dump an older Leica S2 system when that time comes. This is because with the Leica S2, you must dump the sensor too (which is where most of the expense is at).

However, I was not really referring to any mount changing. With the Contax 645 mount, even if my Contax dies for some reason, I am still able to use it with an Alpa rangefinder, Arca-Swiss F monorail, and Sinar P3 systems. None of these other cameras lose their ability to shoot. And, in reality, IFF my Contax body ever dies it does not mean that EVERY Contax body in the universe dies at the same time. There will always be a Contax body available somewhere, at least for many many years to come.

But you are still not getting the major point. It is not about what your gear will be worth at whatever time, or whether you have to eventually change mounts. It is about getting the best quality images, and preferably at the best price point. The fact is, that a Contax 645 and Zeiss optics with something like a P65+ back will produce a vastly superior image file than the smaller fixed sensor technology from Leica, period. And, if I should ever need to change cameras, I can do so without losing the most important aspect about my image capturing system: the size and quality of the latest digital back sensor technology.

David Klepacki

... There are many 35mm shooters that want to move up but maintain some what the speed but looking for that extra quality of file....
Guy, I am sure Leica will be able to sell some of their cameras, and that there will be some happy users. Like I said, every camera has a place. I am just saying that they are marketing to pros, and pros are a little more savvy and discerning about what they are getting for their money. Business is business, and if it makes sense great. Certainly, Hasselblad is not stupid either and will not let Leica take food from their table. As I said before, if Hasselblad introduces a focal plane shutter into their cameras at a lower price point, game over.

But the bottom line for those professionals who simply want the best image quality, especially landscape and architectural photographers, they will prefer the bigger sensors of the digital backs and the larger image circles of the digital LF lenses. The new announcements of the Rodenstock Digaron-W lenses are more exciting to these folks than the 24mm and 30mm T/S lenses from Leica. Besides, the T/S lenses are somewhat limiting in that they can only tilt or shift in one direction at a time. Professionals typically need to use multi-directional tilts, shifts, and swings, which capability is appearing on the newer cameras from other vendors such as Arca-Swiss (Rm3D) and Sinar (arTech).