The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 compared to MF bigger brothers

carstenw

I guarantee you that it will be more costly to dump an older Leica S2 system when that time comes. This is because with the Leica S2, you must dump the sensor too (which is where most of the expense is at).
Well, you cannot guarantee that, because we don't know the future. You can just guess, like the rest of us.

There are new signs coming from Leica, and it is not clear that we can use the old assumptions any more. Dr. Kaufmann has stated that the price will be between 10.000-20.000, and they hope to keep the price below 15.000. This competes very well with Hasselblad's 31MP system today, so unless something fundamentally changes, they are in the game.

The other thing that is different is that Leica probably has the best resale values in the industry, so when you buy your new S3/50MP camera, you will get money for the old one, and Leica is making these calculations as well, and they think it is going to work out well for them and their customers.

They are also building the lenses in a more modular fashion than the bespoke Leica of old, with lenses re-using components, to keep the cost down, so maybe there is also money to be saved by buying Leica lenses rather than Hasselblad lenses.

This would be a killer strategy for Leica, in fact. If they can keep the lens cost down, through ingenuity, component-sharing and sheer will, then they can compete effectively with *any* MF company!

Anyway, part of this is still speculation, so let's not write off Leica until they are ready, and their specs and prices are firm.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, it looks like you are getting pretty desperate in trying to label the Contax as dead.

The truth is David and everyone on this forum knows your desperate in every comment you have made and your are not worth my time and your comments are becoming insulting and that is not allowed on this forum. i consider this a insult and that is not allowed on this forum PERIOD.

stephengilbert

The issue here comes down to the meaning of "dead." If it means no longer capable of growing and improving, then Contax is dead. If it means not useful or capable of producing great photos, then it's alive. (And don't forget that even if it is dead, the backs used on it remain alive.)

I have an ALPA TC. While it isn't dead by either definition, it sure isn't very lively. But it takes pictures okay, if I pay enough attention.

carstenw

I would suggest that we simply don't use the word "dead" about a system. There are several possibilities here, from 1) still manufactured and fully supported, to 2) no longer manufactured but fully supported, 3) no longer manufactured and conditionally supported (as with the Contax, since the support is not from the manufacturer, to my knowledge), and 4) no longer manufactured and not supported at all. I think the worst case is usually number 3), since there will be dealers with extra parts and ability to repair.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David:

Have to agree with Guy here. Seriously, it sounds to me as though you feel the need to carry the sword for Contax, no matter what the argument. Setting the semantics of what constitutes a dead system aside for now -- and I like RobMac's moniker of "Discontinued" -- it is now you who has gone over the edge and given untrue information that needs to be clarified.

To your statement, "all the major digital back makers (Hasselblad, Phase, Leaf and Sinar), as they continue to support the Contax 645 with their best digital backs. This is not true if I understood a recent press release -- Sinar has announced that future support for the Contax body is over.

Next, "The ability to use high quality Zeiss optics with a higher end, more flexible and capable digital back (like the new P65+ or Aptus 10 backs) is an ideal situation for photographers who are already stretching their budgets. " It should be stated that Contax Zeiss lenses were made by Kyocera in Japan, not Zeiss in Germany -- and anybody that's shot them both will tell you they have different looks. Not saying one is bad or inferior in any way, just different and that should be clarified. More to the point however, is that prices for many used Contax lenses are no longer a "bargain for the budget-minded photographer." Because of the limited supply, many of them cost as much or more than new Hassy H or Mamiya lenses.

And then, "a digital back can be easily extended to other camera systems beyond the Contax 645," While you may deem this "easy", it is in fact not necessarily economical! Current cost to retrofit a back to a different system is between $2000 and $7000 depending on the program, camera and back. For many photographers, they'll find it easier (more economical) to try and sell off the entire system with the back and buy into the new system directly.

Then you stated: "It is about getting the best quality images, and preferably at the best price point. The fact is, that a Contax 645 and Zeiss optics with something like a P65+ back will produce a vastly superior image file than the smaller fixed sensor technology from Leica, period." David, this may be your ASSUMPTION, but it is in no way, shape or form a FACT!!! We have not even seen an S2 file yet to make this call.

And then: "I guarantee you that it will be more costly to dump an older Leica S2 system when that time comes. This is because with the Leica S2, you must dump the sensor too (which is where most of the expense is at)." So are you telling this group you will "guarantee" that statement by backing it with your wallet? I think not, again it is your ASSUMPTION, not a fact... The "fact" is nobody has any idea what the used market will be for the Leica S2... But one thing is for certain, and that is that Leica has historically held the among the best resale values of any camera system.

So a caution from me as admin going forward: Let's take it down a notch and get back to engaging in polite dialog. Stating opinions is fine, just let's be clear they are opinions and not facts...

To everybody who has given polite and considered responses, thank you and please continue to do so!

Carry on,

David Klepacki

OK Jack. Peace time. Sounds good to me. I do remember one of your previous posts where you said we are all big boys here and can take it, but I truly never intended anything personal or insulting to Guy.

So Guy, if you feel that I have insulted you, then of course I sincerely apologize. Can we shake and move on?

David K

Workshop Member
Jack,
Quite agree it needs to be toned down a bit. Also, tempering our opinions with a bit of humor never hurts and it makes for a better atmosphere... Most of us have enough stress going on in our non-virtual lives and like to come here for a welcome respite. Let's try to keep it that way.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David Klepaki, excellent, thank you!

David Kipper, excellent reminder! An ugly economy and tiresome politics are in the face of most Americans right now, and taking ourselves less seriously and engaging in a little humor could be very good medicine :)

T

thsinar

Jack,

I was believing remaining out of this discussion, but am now thrown in by your comment and your claim about what Sinar has said about Contax in a press-release. Let me put it right:

- Sinar has NEVER issued a press-release concerning Contax, even less so that Sinar will stop to make adapters for Contax 645.
- Sinar has even never "pronounced" or written the name Contax in this respect.
- Sinar is STILL providing adapters for ALL its current digital backs, with exception of the newly launched Sinarback eSprit 65
- Sinar has not stated that they will NEVER propose a Contax 645 adapter for the Sinarback eSprit 65, simply that we will first propose adapters for the Sinar Hy6, the Hasselblad V and H1/H2 and the Mamiya 645 AFD/AFDII. After that, depending on the request, we will see.

I hope this makes clear that Sinar DOES NOT consider "Contax" as a "dead" (or whatever it is called) camera.

Best regards,
Thierry

To your statement, "all the major digital back makers (Hasselblad, Phase, Leaf and Sinar), as they continue to support the Contax 645 with their best digital backs. This is not true if I understood a recent press release -- Sinar has announced that future support for the Contax body is over.

David K

Workshop Member
Hi Thierry and welcome back from Photokina. You may recall that I shoot both the Hy6 and Contax 645 with my kit and like them both. I am finding that the Hy6 and excellent Rollei lenses are spending more time on the front of my back than I originally anticipated. I mentioned to some friends offline that I find myself using the wonderful Rollei version of the 110 f/2 quite frequently and, as a result am using the Hassy version of that lens on the Contax 645 (via Mam-1 adapter) less and less. Anyway, this discussion has motivated me to switch back to my Contax 645 for a bit. I do love the 45-90 zoom with that configuration. Also, I'm trying to determine which is my favorite wide angle lens and need to revisit the results I get from the Contax 35mm and Hasselblad 30mm fisheye.

T

thsinar

hi David, and thanks for your "welcome back"!

Yes, I do recall that you are using both cameras. I am not surprised that your Schneider/Zeiss glasses "spend" so much time on the camera: the Zeiss 110/2 is a jewel, IMO.

Cheers,
Thierry

Hi Thierry and welcome back from Photokina. You may recall that I shoot both the Hy6 and Contax 645 with my kit and like them both. I am finding that the Hy6 and excellent Rollei lenses are spending more time on the front of my back than I originally anticipated. I mentioned to some friends offline that I find myself using the wonderful Rollei version of the 110 f/2 quite frequently and, as a result am using the Hassy version of that lens on the Contax 645 (via Mam-1 adapter) less and less. Anyway, this discussion has motivated me to switch back to my Contax 645 for a bit. I do love the 45-90 zoom with that configuration.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
the Zeiss 110/2 is a jewel, IMO.
Agreed, that lens gets the full :thumbs: up! I had one and loved using it on my Mamiya/Phase, but had to sell it a few months ago to help fund another lens --- and I missed it so much that I pounced on another one yesterday... :D

Guy Mancuso

Just not a fan of that focal length. i like the longer 140 or 150mm lenses. Just too close to a 80mm for me.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
With the length of my home studio, it is just the ticket.
I have to shoot from another room with the 150 :)
-bob

David K

Workshop Member
Guy,
I'd love something in that 150mm range as I now have (as Jack calls it) a HUGE, GAPING hole in my lineup between 110 and 180, at least with regard to the Rollei lineup (got it covered with the 140mm in Contax which is a great portrait lens). Am actually on the lookout for a Schneider Apo-Symmar Macro PQ 4.6/150 mm so if anyone has a lead on one of these at a reasonable price I'd appreciate a heads up.

Guy Mancuso

I just find myself not wide enough or close enough with the 110mm with regards to people. For me the 150mm is the 3/4 length lens and my portrait lens but I would rather have a 200 for a portrait lens. I don't crop very often at all if ever and the 150mm is a bit short for portraits with lighting involved . One reason i was not crazy at the proposed Leica lineup is they have a 70mm which is the normal on there sensor than they have a 110mm and a 180mm. i say dump the 110 and make a 130 or 140mm F2 lens and than stretch that 180mm to a 200 because the next lens is a 350mm. To me this gaps the lenses better 70,130 or 140 , 200 and 350 would be my choice. Also I would love them to change there mind on the 120 macro and make it a T/S lens with very close focusing and add some extension tubes for macro. Sort of like the Nikon and Canon 85 and 90 TSE glass that can focus really close but this is a ideal lens for table top. To me this would round it out better although the 180 mm i can certainly use very easily for portraits and corporate gigs. The one that bugs me some is there 110 just needs some more length.

I should add this is with the P25 and may have a different opinion owning a P30 style sensor with it's crop factor

carstenw

How about good old fashioned "discontinued" ?
That works for whether or not it is still being manufactured, but still leaves the question of support up in the air. To fully express all 4 possibilites, perhaps "up", "wobbling", "falling" and "down"? :)