The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss RM3D - versions?

ceh

I checked the picture of the product,but it seems to me that this version is different than others RM3D:

ussual version:

Can anybody explain the function differences please?
The first image is a demo camera with a lens an a finder for good price.
Thank you for your help.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Also note the most current RM3D*i* -- the *i* version allows the front standard to be rotated 90 degrees and remounted, thus turning the tilt movements to swing movements. On the older non i version, you had to lay the camera over on its side to get swing.

Also, the *i* version has an electronic interface built in that will allow for the benefits from the upcoming "eModule" now in beta to communicate with the camera body settings. The eModule gives digital readouts for focus distances and DoF's for different lenses at different working apertures, has a sonic distance measuring device for accurate interior work and has an onboard electronic level. I will be writing some more about this device very soon, so stay tuned :D

cly

Also, the *i* version has an electronic interface built in that will allow for the benefits from the upcoming "eModule" now in beta to communicate with the camera body settings. The eModule gives digital readouts for focus distances and DoF's for different lenses at different working apertures, has a sonic distance measuring device for accurate interior work and has an onboard electronic level. I will be writing some more about this device very soon, so stay tuned :D
As a starter, there is a short video (in French) in which Martin Vogt is showing the eModule:

Le e-module pour la série R-line d'Arca-Swiss - YouTube

Looking forward to your posting on the eModule!

Chris

Chris

ceh

I have received the list of functional differences between the new and the old type from the seller:

First image Arca Swiss Rm3d is the first production version after the prototypes and it has the following movements:

Tilt 10°
Left 10 mm Right 10mm
Rise 20mm
Fall 5 mm
The tilt micrometric is the same as the regular version and compared to the Rm3di by rise and fall the lens moves.

The Rm3di (the newer model) has the following movements:
Tilt 10°
Left 20 mm Right 20mm
Rise 30mm
Fall 10 mm
By rise and fall only the back moves - this is important for vertical stitching.

How much will those defferences limit my practice?
With the technical camera I will shoot landscapes and I think of a digi back with the 48x36 (Leaf Aptus 75) sensor.

cly

First image Arca Swiss Rm3d is the first production version after the prototypes and it has the following movements:

Tilt 10°
Left 10 mm Right 10mm
Rise 20mm
Fall 5 mm
The tilt micrometric is the same as the regular version and compared to the Rm3di by rise and fall the lens moves.

How much will those defferences limit my practice?
If you want to be able to (flat) stitch images (and this is not restricted by the image circle of your lenses) I'd definitely go for the larger movements. As you say yourself, vertical stitching won't work as the lens is moving. Only you will know if this is important but I would definitely try to get your hands on both models - as I wrote above, to me the RM3di is a much better camera body. (If the RM3di is out of reach, I would rather have a closer look at the Cambo - but this is all very subjective!).

Chris

Paul2660

Actually the Rm3di has the following movements:

Tilt up or down 5 degrees (if you rotate the plate this can be swing 5 degrees)
shift left 15mm shift right 15mm
Rise 30mm
Fall 20mm.

These are the standards while leaving the camera in the normal orientation.
If you use an L bracket, you can rotate the camera 90 degrees and use the rise and fall for shift, giving you 30mm left and 20mm right. Something I do often.

Paul Caldwell

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This discussion seems predicated on the assumption that the RM3Di is available in some meaningful sense. Is that the case?

Just Curious,

Matt

Paul2660

If I am not mistaken, it's the most current model from Arca unless I missed
an announcement, usually 4 to 6 weeks to get from date of order. I agree it's rarely something found "on the shelf".

If you are interested in one, I would contact Rod Klukas, the U.S. Arca rep. as he will have better info on lead times. If you are outside the U.S., Rod might still be able to help.

PM me if you would like his contact info.

Paul

MGrayson

Paul,

Thank you. I see that Rod has an ad at the top of this page. Nice to see more of an Arca presence online.

--Matt

ceh

Paul,
I am awaiting the answers of two Europian dealers. If I am not successful, I'll take advantage of your offer.
I saw R.Klukas' clip at vimeo.com and similar instructional videos at:
arca swiss r-line

Cenek

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You can also contact us. You know you'll always get straight answers rather than what the manufacturer itself is claiming. For instance the e-module: while on paper it's one of the most exciting things to ever happen to tech cameras, it has been "around the corner" for a long, long time, and at this point I refuse to be excited about, or make any decisions based on, it's availability until it's actually been shipped (en masse) and broadly tested by ourselves and our customers.

Here are easy references for movement and size for the current Arca bodies
Arca R :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug,

You must have missed the fact I had an eModule on my Arca while we were both in Death Valley together :). Yes it is a beta unit, but it is pretty neat what it can do and promises to be a stellar product -- of course assuming Arca can get it into production. One issue with Arca is they have trouble keeping the supply chain meeting demand with most of their products...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You must have missed the fact I had an eModule on my Arca while we were both in Death Valley together :). Yes it is a beta unit, but it is pretty neat what it can do and promises to be a stellar product -- of course assuming Arca can get it into production. One issue with Arca is they have trouble keeping the supply chain meeting demand with most of their products...
I know you had a beta that was "somewhat working on your system. Absolutely. It's an extremely PROMISING product. But it's not here yet. Here are a small sampling of the descriptions of delivery dates:

"As of mid-June [2009] it was not quite ready for production"
Arca Swiss Rm3d Review

"in a few months" - from what I was told at Photokina in Fall 2010.
Hands On: the new Arca Swiss RM3Di :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

"in a few weeks" - based on email communication in Spring 2011.

"in a few days" - based on email communication in Fall 2011.

Like I said, it's a potentially revolutionary product. But they have worn out their "benefit of the doubt" with me regarding time lines for delivery. I will gladly scream from the mountain tops about the e-module. But I will only do so once it is in my hands with several on the shelf ready to test and ship.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Paul,

Thank you. I see that Rod has an ad at the top of this page. Nice to see more of an Arca presence online.

--Matt
Matt I see you are in NYC . We have a nice selection of ARCA-SWISS equipment available for demo,rental and sale at our NYC offices.

You should stop by some time.

Lance

MGrayson

Are my search skills weak, or is there really no iPhone App for determining the camera settings on the RM3Di? That can't be right... :confused:
--Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Are my search skills weak, or is there really no iPhone App for determining the camera settings on the RM3Di? That can't be right... :confused:
--Matt
At the risk of upsetting the Arca crowd I'd just say that it shouldn't be surprising that a company that doesn't even have a web presence doesn't have an iPhone app ... :toocool:

(kudos to Rod Klukas for filling the gap btw)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
--Matt
yup,
there is one, it is a calculator.
divide a lens specific number by the distance and then add a constant.
there you go.
-bob