The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I finally managed to get a MF Digital setup

yaya

Wow. That was really nice. I know Ray and he is interested. But you remind me why I really value dealers...
Nobody's talking about dealers here, we're talking sensors (or that's what I thought we did...)

But if you insist I actually value the dealers very much, especially those who are passionate about the product they sell, this is not dissimilar to photographers who are passionate about what they do and what they sell...and BTW there was no offence meant towards Ray...don't know why you took it that way?

Back to topic now...

FredBGG

Not Available
Anyway, here's the resulting shots, apart from White Balance it is pretty much as they are from the cameras, processed in Lightroom.
The Adobe Camera Raw conversion of Phase one files is terrible and if I recall correctly it was pretty crappy with the Aptus files too.

Try Capture One.

fotografz

Nice. Was that with a 645 film back? ;)

RE: WHAT's FILM, Just yankin' your chain Fred. Love B&W film ... but not as much from a 645 camera. Prefer either gritty 35mm or tone rich 6X7 ... never cared for in-between all that much ... which is why I never cared if my 645 digital camera shot film or not.

But I'm done with film ... finally tossed out all the darkroom stuff and will donate my Kaiser MF enlarger to some school or something.

Marc

Chris Giles

Agreed. The output is MUCH better (and I use LR for my wedding workflow).
I just put a couple of files through a trial of C1 and compared to LR3 there isn't much in them. Least not enough for me to make the switch. But, it's something I will play with.

One thing that is trowing me a little is that I cannot seem to find anything, anywhere, about the curve and portrait modes on the back, C1 has them listed as things like Aptus 22 Open, Aptus 22 Portrait, Portrait soft etc.

These aren't present in Lightroom.

yaya

LR uses its own contrast/ curve controls so if you're using LR you'll have to work your way there...

ondebanks

Nobody's talking about dealers here, we're talking sensors (or that's what I thought we did...)

But if you insist I actually value the dealers very much, especially those who are passionate about the product they sell, this is not dissimilar to photographers who are passionate about what they do and what they sell...and BTW there was no offence meant towards Ray...don't know why you took it that way?

Back to topic now...
Yair and Shashin, no worries - I took no offence whatsoever. I was genuine in my "genuinely curious" remark - I was open to new information and Yair came up trumps, providing some really, really interesting new information. It would be great if there was some central public storehouse of such information - other than in the brains of people like Yair!

The thing that frustrates me is that MFD manufacturers constantly tout the technological superiority of their products - their market is carved out on the basis that "we can sell you better image quality" - but they are notoriously reticent to properly and fully explain how that superiority is achieved.

Of late I've been conducting an email correspondence with someone at PhaseOne, trying to get some idea of how their XPose+ technology does what it does in long exposures. It's been an extraordinarily frustrating experience. I've never encountered such evasive paranoia. "Like trying to get blood from a stone".

By profession I'm a scientist. The rule in science is: if you don't explain your methods to me, then I just don't trust them.

Ray

ondebanks

Some other examples: try asking for the CCD datasheets for the Kodak sensor in the Leica S2, or the 40/60/80 MP Dalsa sensors in the big Leaf and Phase One backs.

Complete brick wall of silence.

Ray

fotografz

I just put a couple of files through a trial of C1 and compared to LR3 there isn't much in them. Least not enough for me to make the switch. But, it's something I will play with.

One thing that is trowing me a little is that I cannot seem to find anything, anywhere, about the curve and portrait modes on the back, C1 has them listed as things like Aptus 22 Open, Aptus 22 Portrait, Portrait soft etc.

These aren't present in Lightroom.
Hasselblad's Focus software has the same type of selections ... which also are not in LR. The equivalent in LR would be User Presets that you would build and load based on your personal tastes.

Since the Leica S2 doesn't have a proprietary software, and uses DNG files for processing in LR, users have developed their own Presets for quick batching access.

Personally, I also use third party plug-ins in LR to accomplish certain looks on layers so I can modify them at will.

For any large output processing like a wedding, I almost exclusively use LR because of the extensive tools and no need to ever take an image out of the Library ... and now LR4 has taken all that to yet another level of control. Can't wait until it is out of beta, optimized and running fast. :thumbs:

-Marc

fotografz

Marc, if you don't mind me asking what do you use in LR plugin wise that would assist?
For B&W conversions I use the Nik Silver Efex Pro-2 plug-in for LR and also have it as a plug-in for PSCS5 if I want to also work in Layers.

For color work, especially events and portraits I chose to load OnOne PhotoTools-2.5 as plug-ins for both PSCS5 and LR, but tend to mostly use the PSCS5 plug-in for the Layers option again. Lots of very nice Portrait options that are fast to apply and easy to control.

When in LR Develop Module, I've selected PSCS5 and Nik Silver Efex as the "Edit-In" options from the top LR menu: Photo> Edit In > PSCS5 or Nik Silver Efex to take advantage of layers if desired.

When done, the file goes back into the LR Library for that job. Everything is kept all together in the order it was loaded (time shot).

Sounds complex when all written out, but is actually very fast.

-Marc

P.S, here is the dialog window that opens for PhotoTools 2.5 ...

FredBGG

Not Available
Nice. Was that with a 645 film back? ;)

RE: WHAT's FILM, Just yankin' your chain Fred. Love B&W film ... but not as much from a 645 camera. Prefer either gritty 35mm or tone rich 6X7 ... never cared for in-between all that much ... which is why I never cared if my 645 digital camera shot film or not.

But I'm done with film ... finally tossed out all the darkroom stuff and will donate my Kaiser MF enlarger to some school or something.

Marc
I know you were kidding... it's all fun and games!

It was shot on the Fuji GX680. Largest format SLR available.
The film is Panatomic-X

here is a crop:

I would really love to have a 44MP sensor that is twice the size of the P25+ for this camera. It would be simply amazing.

I have yet to find a camera that I like as much as the Fuji GX680.

Hey Guy,
I have read that before. I completely understand that those are advantages to many photogs. I still think for myself and a large amount of photogs, having a 50mp Dalsa sensor with microlenses would be a killer solution. Have sensor plus with that as well, to allow shooting at lower Rez. Obviously a back with microlenses wouldn't be ideal for someone doing movements, etc. I'm not saying they should do away with the other options, just that this is one that would really fill out the line of backs nicely. There's obviously not 1 solution that's perfect for everyone. But this would be a perfect back for me.

Cheers,
Josh

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes it adds a valuable option to the back and that is a good thing. Technology like that is what us users want to encourage the OEMs to build. Useful options

W

Whats_edoo

I know you were kidding... it's all fun and games!

It was shot on the Fuji GX680. Largest format SLR available.
The film is Panatomic-X

here is a crop:

I would really love to have a 44MP sensor that is twice the size of the P25+ for this camera. It would be simply amazing.

I have yet to find a camera that I like as much as the Fuji GX680.

FredBGG

Very nice what lens & F stop?

Mike