The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More fuel for the 'D800 as good as MF' fire

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm getting 1.44 micron pixel size, so a FF would be.. yep, 415 MP, and an IQ180 size chip would be about 1.15 GP. Talk about a computer upgrade!

--Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, I heard a surprising comment today from my dealer. They've had probably a 3:1 ratio of D800 : D800E pre-orders so far. I would have expected a lot more requests for the D800E actually, even knowing that it is a few hundred $$ more and probably going to be less available overall and shipping slightly later. This just seemed counter to what I'd heard elsewhere and yes I did clarify E vs non-E.

What are others hearing?

Lars

Well, in all honesty the D800 AA filter seems very weak. Even with the D800, the resolution is a HUGE step up for almost all Nikon shooters. And some orders might be for video production.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The vast majority of the D800 cameras are sold to people who don't have a clue what an AA filter is, but who believe firmly that the quality of their photography is proportional with the number of pixels multiplied with maximum ISO.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I bet you that Nikon are not so arrogant that they dont watch trends, so silly as it may sound they wont want camera phones eroding any of their coolpix market ,
Too late ... point and shoots sales sliding fast - started in 2009. (16% decline in unit sales, 24% decline in revenue over 2008).

They keep trying to put more stuff in them, but as soon as camera phones offer compelling zoom options, which is coming, only high end point and shoots may remain viable. I think that was Nikon's thinking the J/V1, a puzzling camera if going against micro 4/3rds and sony NEX, but maybe a smart strategy in the long run to appeal to that segment that may still want something better than a camera phone.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Btw, I heard a surprising comment today from my dealer. They've had probably a 3:1 ratio of D800 : D800E pre-orders so far. I would have expected a lot more requests for the D800E actually, even knowing that it is a few hundred $$ more and probably going to be less available overall and shipping slightly later. This just seemed counter to what I'd heard elsewhere and yes I did clarify E vs non-E.

What are others hearing?
Most of these cameras are going to people shooters .. they do outnumber landscape guys by a considerable amount. Moire is a big deal to them, and fabric still is problematic with the d800 according to a couple of reps in the Nikon booth at WPPI. (of course, who knows if they know what they are talking about)

We have quite a few pre-orders, most want t see files first (we'll setup a couple of hands on sessions when we get some in). But so far, 3 have ordered one of each, so it'll be interesting to see their perspective.

It's shaping up to be a decent year hear in the store ... between the tsunami, thailand and no new stuff last year was pretty slim in camera sales. Canon's announcement this week will step things up another notch ...

Aaron

The vast majority of the D800 cameras are sold to people who don't have a clue what an AA filter is, but who believe firmly that the quality of their photography is proportional with the number of pixels multiplied with maximum ISO.
Not so sure about that one.... Any 'amateur' photographer i have ever met who had a D700 or a 5d could have written a book on any technical aspect of photography or their camera systems. If you doubt that call round to your nearest camera club meeting and you will probably leave feeling like the newbie!

fotografz

Not so sure about that one.... Any 'amateur' photographer i have ever met who had a D700 or a 5d could have written a book on any technical aspect of photography or their camera systems. If you doubt that call round to your nearest camera club meeting and you will probably leave feeling like the newbie!
In both cases, just more statically insignificant antidotal information to support one agenda or another. :banghead:

Camera club members may indeed be "well informed" as to the technical capabilities of their chosen gear, but the correlation to the number of cameras sold in the $3,000 or below category is an unknown.

I see upwards of 20 to 30 people with decent DSLRs at any given wedding I shoot, some with better gear then me at times. Few even know how to drag the shutter when using flash ... let alone what effect a AA filter may have on an image. However, I wouldn't extrapolate some generalized quali/quant data from that antidotal experience.

What is significant is that Nikon chose to also offer the camera with the AA cancellation filter ... so there MUST be enough potential to justify doing it in the first place.

-Marc

Aaron

In both cases, just more statically insignificant antidotal information to support one agenda or another. :banghead:

Camera club members may indeed be "well informed" as to the technical capabilities of their chosen gear, but the correlation to the number of cameras sold in the $3,000 or below category is an unknown.

I see upwards of 20 to 30 people with decent DSLRs at any given wedding I shoot, some with better gear then me at times. Few even know how to drag the shutter when using flash ... let alone what effect a AA filter may have on an image. However, I wouldn't extrapolate some generalized quali/quant data from that antidotal experience.

What is significant is that Nikon chose to also offer the camera with the AA cancellation filter ... so there MUST be enough potential to justify doing it in the first place.

-Marc
Seriously, I am not trying to be rude Marc but having read that several times I am none the wiser as to what your point is.

My point was that people buying cameras in the price range of a D800 usually know what they're doing.

fotografz

Seriously, I am not trying to be rude Marc but having read that several times I am none the wiser as to what your point is.

My point was that people buying cameras in the price range of a D800 usually know what they're doing.
Why not just say that, instead of trying to prove it with questionable antidotal resources like camera clubs? Some clubs around here are not as sophisticated as your's seem to be. That's my point.

BTW, antidotally, I know a LOT of amateur photographers with 5Ds that barely know how to turn on the camera ... price of camera doesn't always equate to knowledge ... it simply means they have the money to buy better.

-Marc

J

jcoffin

BTW, antidotally, I know a LOT of amateur photographers with 5Ds that barely know how to turn on the camera ... price of camera doesn't always equate to knowledge ... it simply means they have the money to buy better.

-Marc
The two are you are obviously missing the correct conclusion here: tech-nerds buy Nikon; ignorant buffoons buy Canon! :ROTFL:

[Closed captioning for the humor impaired: no, of course I'm not serious!]

:lecture:

Oh, and for what little it may be worth, the word you're looking for is "anecdotally" instead of "antidotally". I doubt the latter is a word at all, but if it was, it would probably mean something about an antidote -- i.e., related to combating the effects of a poison, or something on that order. "Anecdotal" means based on anecdotes (stories).

Aaron

Why not just say that, instead of trying to prove it with questionable antidotal resources like camera clubs? Some clubs around here are not as sophisticated as your's seem to be. That's my point.

-Marc
Ah, I was wondering if you were calling me a bullshitter, now I see you were.

Thats cool. I replied to a post with with my own experience of the people I have met with high end dslrs. Not sure why that rubs you up the wrong way but 'whatever'. It's not that big of a deal really now is it. :rolleyes:

Shashin

If this phone has a viewfinder app, it might make a really good complement to a tech camera with an IQ140. Or maybe even a backup...

jonoslack

I'm getting 1.44 micron pixel size, so a FF would be.. yep, 415 MP, and an IQ180 size chip would be about 1.15 GP. Talk about a computer upgrade!

--Matt
Lars - Matt - thanks for the sums - not sure my little 13"mbp would be up to that :)

What are others hearing?
Hi Graham
when I spoke to my dealer he was talking 120 D800 to 35 D800e - so - yes, just about what your dealer was saying.

all the best
Jono

jonoslack

Oh, and for what little it may be worth, the word you're looking for is "anecdotally" instead of "antidotally". I doubt the latter is a word at all, but if it was, it would probably mean something about an antidote -- i.e., related to combating the effects of a poison, or something on that order. "Anecdotal" means based on anecdotes (stories).
I think AntiDotal is a fab word . . . and I didn't know that anyone ever went to a camera club . . do such things really exist? How strange.

I'm certain that if I went to a camera club I'd need something Antidotal afterwards . . . probably a large scotch!

BANKER1

Great humor Jono. Thanks. This discussion needs more humor. It's not like it is life or death guys, and it is my impression that the OP was looking to invoke some fun into a discussion.

Marc's grammatical error is nothing compared to others I have seen here. A correction publicly in the thread always makes me question the poster's intention. A private message seems more appropriate to me.

Greg

Last edited: