The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More fuel for the 'D800 as good as MF' fire

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think AntiDotal is a fab word . . . and I didn't know that anyone ever went to a camera club . . do such things really exist? How strange.

I'm certain that if I went to a camera club I'd need something Antidotal afterwards . . . probably a large scotch!
I will make the suggestion that the publishers include antidotal in the next OED.
What a wonderful word.
-bob

J

jcoffin

Great humor Jono. Thanks. This discussion needs more humor. It's not like it is life or death guys, and it is my impression that the OP was looking to invoke some fun into a discussion.

Marc's grammatical error is nothing compared to others I have seen here. A correction publicly in the thread always make me question the poster's intention. A private message seems more appropriate to me.

Greg
Really? If Marc was bothered by it, I apologize -- I was trying to inject a bit of humor (though I applaud Jono -- he definitely did it better).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Great humor Jono. Thanks. This discussion needs more humor. It's not like it is life or death guys, and it is my impression that the OP was looking to invoke some fun into a discussion.

Marc's grammatical error is nothing compared to others I have seen here. A correction publicly in the thread always make me question the poster's intention. A private message seems more appropriate to me.

Greg
You are a gentleman for noticing Greg - it was indeed my intention to make this fun (which it finally is!)

Jono and I know each other in real life and when we get together we're both funny. On GetDPI it's just him. I must type with a smile on my face and not on my fingers...

Stefan Steib

I don´t want to annect - dotally or totally or antidotally this philosophical excurs in semantics - but Shashin- if you would use this phone as a viewfinder for any back you will probably not need "viewfinder" app as the 808 has a 4x seamless electronic zoom if you use it in 16x9 HDTV video mode, 3x if you use it in 4x3 full res, the focal lenght starts as a 26mm in DSLR fullformat image angle. So maybe for viewing wideangles there should be a 0,5 x converter.

At lower resolutions, the capabilities of the zoom increase, with 6X at 720p and up to 12X lossless zoom in nHD (640 x 360) recordings.

regards
Stefan

jonoslack

You are a gentleman for noticing Greg - it was indeed my intention to make this fun (which it finally is!)

Jono and I know each other in real life and when we get together we're both funny. On GetDPI it's just him. I must type with a smile on my face and not on my fingers...
Well, perhaps your subtle english humour isn't quite as easy to interpret as my crass stuff!
It's time for another pint - are you up this way anytime soon?

. . . . . I once bought a car from Tim, and we're still friends, so it must be good :toocool:

jonoslack

But was it a 41 megapixel car, or only a puny 36 megapixel one? :grin:
Hmmm - it was a 2 year old Boxster S, so I'll allow you to asses the pixels!
(I still mourn it's passing).

One thing for sure, it wasn't puny! (and I loved it).

fotografz

I think AntiDotal is a fab word . . . and I didn't know that anyone ever went to a camera club . . do such things really exist? How strange.

I'm certain that if I went to a camera club I'd need something Antidotal afterwards . . . probably a large scotch!
:ROTFL:

What an ignoramus I am for trusting to spell-check ... and frankly :eek: I didn't even notice.

What we need are anecdotal notions for antidotal potions to counteract the effects of reading this thread ... :)

-Marc

jonoslack

:ROTFL:

What an ignoramus I am for trusting to spell-check ... and frankly :eek: I didn't even notice.

What we need are anecdotal notions for antidotal potions to counteract the effects of reading this thread ... :)

-Marc
Potions are always needed to counteract the effects of life. If you're sensible it might be an elderflower potion, if you're a little more adventurous it might be a nice Sauvignon blanc . . I've heard that the Macallan can be very effective (although I've never dared go that far myself).

Incidentally, not sure what your input was to Irakly's S2 article, but I really enjoyed it!

J

jcoffin

Potions are always needed to counteract the effects of life. If you're sensible it might be an elderflower potion, if you're a little more adventurous it might be a nice Sauvignon blanc . . I've heard that the Macallan can be very effective (although I've never dared go that far myself).
I've had Macallan, but think it's going a bit too far. I tend to prefer the result from a blend of Sauvignon Blanc with Cabernet Franc (not blending the results, but breeding the vines together -- i.e., Cabernet Sauvignon).

fotografz

Incidentally, not sure what your input was to Irakly's S2 article, but I really enjoyed it!
Actually, I wasn't present for that actual test, (or I would have showed him how to capture RAW and Jpeg at the same time ;))

However, he and I have played with my S2P enough for him to become interested in it as it relates to other choices.

Next thing we want to try is res'ing up S2 files to compare against my H4D/60 files ... but we have to wait until it returns from its winter vacation in Denmark.

-Marc

BTW, I really do need a potion ... I've been sick as dog for 3 days and am getting semi-delirious ... so take anything I say as being a bit delusional :rolleyes: :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why not just say that, instead of trying to prove it with questionable antidotal resources like camera clubs?
If there was ever an antidotal camera club, this forum must be it. Antidotal to the poison of mammon. My coffers are empty but I do have a camera :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm staying out of the spelling conversations, you guys are nothing compared to me. In all seriousness I have a mental block on certain words even cheating I can't get them right and when I do than you'll know it ain't me.

pophoto

However, he and I have played with my S2P enough for him to become interested in it as it relates to other choices.

Next thing we want to try is res'ing up S2 files to compare against my H4D/60 files ... but we have to wait until it returns from its winter vacation in Denmark.
I cannot wait for that, meanwhile get well soon :)

Anders_HK

That Nokia 808 is a threat to the D800/E, no?
The constant debate is funny. I stand at two choices;

1. Keep on using my Leaf AFi-12

2. Get a Nokia 808 and duct tape it to my Hy6.

Looking at sample images from the D800/E, which of above am I inclined to do?

The image of the lips in the article and its commentary is convincing, or not??? --- "Two-tone Lips. A close up of lipstick shows the color saturation and sharpness of the D800". That leaves duct taping the D800 to my Hy6 to not be an option... :D (the reason why should be obvious)

In other words, with each new camera there is so much marketing (including in articles) and resulted imagined raving of how great the product is, thus in my humble view that article seems like a lot of BS.

Duct taping the Nokia would make more sense, because it is smaller. Think pixel equal pixel equal same??? :loco:

Best regards,
Anders