The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More fuel for the 'D800 as good as MF' fire

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It is not only you, and I find the same to be true if I go to the D800 thread at getdpi, and then go to the Fun with MF or to the S2 or to the M9-images thread.
I cant say what is better or worse, but I know what I do like better.
And this is just websize.
There is very little sunlight in almost all of them so still hard to evaluate what it can do. You guys need to read my comments along the way. :D

Stop looking at the pretty pictures. ROTFLMAO I'm joking of course

That Fred Miranda thread is interesting. The camera seems fully capable of the image quality expected from a high megapixel, relatively high dynamic range camera. However, there is an aesthetic to the images that I just don't like.

Back in the film days, I always preferred medium or large format images to 35 mm because the tonal and focus transitions happen over a much larger area. While high MP DSLRs are capable of amazing detail, it is the tonal and focus transitions that feel abrupt to me. I don't know why, but I think there is something to be said for sensor area that cannot be replaced with pixel density.

While Moore's Law hints that every few years we will get higher MP cameras for equal or lower cost, his law does not apply to the lenses that we need to realize that technology. Bottom line is that while the D800 seems to be an evolution of the D3x, quality costs.

fotografz

That Fred Miranda thread is interesting. The camera seems fully capable of the image quality expected from a high megapixel, relatively high dynamic range camera. However, there is an aesthetic to the images that I just don't like.

Back in the film days, I always preferred medium or large format images to 35 mm because the tonal and focus transitions happen over a much larger area. While high MP DSLRs are capable of amazing detail, it is the tonal and focus transitions that feel abrupt to me. I don't know why, but I think there is something to be said for sensor area that cannot be replaced with pixel density.

While Moore's Law hints that every few years we will get higher MP cameras for equal or lower cost, his law does not apply to the lenses that we need to realize that technology. Bottom line is that while the D800 seems to be an evolution of the D3x, quality costs.
Thanks for putting into words what I've been thinking Bill :thumbup:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to say as far as usability it just about blows all MF,Pentax and S2 out the door with there foot up there ***. I'm not selling either of them. I got the best of both worlds. Like i said 50 times already it will compliment my MF gear. Not sure why this thread even exists to be honest MF is not Nikon and Nikon will never be MF. Use them both in good health.

Not sure why this thread even exists to be honest
Well, I think a couple of claims can easily get confused. One is that this camera does things that once required MF digital. Which I think is true.

This does not imply the other claim, which is that the camera replaces MF digital, or is as good as the best or even the 10th best MF digital cameras.

Unfortunately people like to conflate those two ideas.

I used to think I’d need MF digital for the project I’m working on now—this was unfortunate because I’m a long way from being able to afford such a system. But the d800 pushes 35mm comfortably into the quality range that I’d like to have.

I’m grateful for this forum and for thread like this, because I’m not aware of any other source for rigorous comparisons of this camera and the high end options. This is the best way I know to see the strengths and limitations of the camera in perspective.

Stefan Steib

Shashin

there is much more than only shere resolution making up a modern lens - to get an overview on this there is a perfect resource about the actual status of lens design for the digital age - an Interview with Dr. Hubert Nasse Senior scientist at Carl Zeiss - probably THE knowledge capacity on this subject.
to be read on Diglloyd.com

diglloyd - 15mm f/2.8 Distagon Zeiss Interview - Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon Q&A ? Question List

there is breathing , uniformity, focus shift, low ray angle and much more.
This is only possible now because of intense usage of aspherics and most advanced production technologies.

regards
Stefan

Paratom

Have to say as far as usability it just about blows all MF,Pentax and S2 out the door with there foot up there ***. I'm not selling either of them. I got the best of both worlds. Like i said 50 times already it will compliment my MF gear. Not sure why this thread even exists to be honest MF is not Nikon and Nikon will never be MF. Use them both in good health.
Yes, they complement very well...one fills the bookshelve and the other one gets used all the time ;) just kidding. I will further follow that D800 thread and also the 5dIII reports.

Shashin

Shashin

there is much more than only shere resolution making up a modern lens - to get an overview on this there is a perfect resource about the actual status of lens design for the digital age - an Interview with Dr. Hubert Nasse Senior scientist at Carl Zeiss - probably THE knowledge capacity on this subject.
to be read on Diglloyd.com

diglloyd - 15mm f/2.8 Distagon Zeiss Interview - Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon Q&A ? Question List

there is breathing , uniformity, focus shift, low ray angle and much more.
This is only possible now because of intense usage of aspherics and most advanced production technologies.

regards
Stefan
None of this is really new. Aspherics have been used for a long time. All of this was can be applied to film lenses.

fotografz

Yes, they complement very well...one fills the bookshelve and the other one gets used all the time ;) just kidding. I will further follow that D800 thread and also the 5dIII reports.
Yep, I agree ... both of my 35mm A900s sat on their asses all fall and winter ... shot everything with the S2 and M9. The minute I quit wedding work is the day I sell all of the 35mm DSLR stuff with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. :)

But somehow I don't think that was what you meant ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I too look at the images and think ... is that all there is?

The detail is impressive, the price is amazing, the smaller size is nice, and the extra ISO with larger files is something I dream about. But, in the end, the images still look like 35mm images. If you love the look of 35mm or need the versatility of a 35mm system, it's a killer camera.

But there is a dimensionality and clarity that is missing from what I've seen in medium format digital. I know some folks want to talk about lens and sensor theory until the cows come home ... but in the end, the images speak for themselves.

Shashin

...and the extra ISO...
I have been looking at the DPreview samples compared with the Pentax 645D. Yes, the Nikon can go higher, but I don't see better ISO performance up to the 645D limit of 1600, and just going above is an image, but increasingly noisier. Yes, it would be nice if I could dial in a higher ISO, but I am not sure I am getting anything for it except more noise. As a guy who used to shoot MF film at 400ISO handheld with maximum apertures of f/4 or so, shooting 1600ISO at f/2.8 is really liberating. You ISO 200,000 f/1.4 35mm shooters are just spoiled. Really, where is the challenge in that. :D

D

drmytan

I doubt that it will take over MF!
MF gives much better dynamic range especially at the adverse condition (harsh light) and a nicely distributed shape in the histogram. Color is again superb.

bythewei

I too look at the images and think ... is that all there is?

The detail is impressive, the price is amazing, the smaller size is nice, and the extra ISO with larger files is something I dream about. But, in the end, the images still look like 35mm images. If you love the look of 35mm or need the versatility of a 35mm system, it's a killer camera.

But there is a dimensionality and clarity that is missing from what I've seen in medium format digital. I know some folks want to talk about lens and sensor theory until the cows come home ... but in the end, the images speak for themselves.
Nailed it.

:clap: