The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which choice for simple landscape mostly?

Shashin

I had one and sold it. Great camera but the warranty/support is really not there (certainly not what you would want for such an expensive piece of kit) and the lens quality is not great. The 25mm is good but way too expensive. The 55 is good. I found a really nice 35mm A. But generally the lenses are ok not really great.
I have one and never sold it.

The 25mm is expensive? Compared to what? The Hasselblad 24mm is $6,650, The Leica 24mm is $8950, The Mamiya 28mm is $5,990, and the Pentax 25mm is $4,990.

I have not had the same experience with the lenses. And there again, compared to what? Mamiya? Leica? Mamiya lenses are not universally praised.

Then tally up the system cost. Both will be more expensive. And lets face it, the DF has been ready for replacement for a very long time (any day now, I hear). And with all the trouble I have heard Mamiya owners post about their camera, the service better be good--you should be getting something for your money. My Pentax just works. And when you consider a Pentax body is just $1000 more expensive than a DF (body only) AND you get the 40MP sensor (nearly $20k for a DF and Credo 40MP camera), you really wonder about the value you are getting. I could buy two Pentax 645Ds for the cost of one Mamiya DF and 40MP Credo and still have money left over.

You don't like the 645D, fine. But lets make fair comparisons.

Ken_R

Pentax is a good value. Just pray nothing happens to it. Read up, repair times are extremely lengthy and support is spotty (at least in the US). It is a shame because it is a superb DSLR. Body is well though out and everything works well. It is also weather sealed. None of the other medium format digital bodies are as good (as camera bodies per se). Not being modular helps a great deal. Again, it is the best value in medium format digital. If it just had the service and support to match. I just could not risk being without the camera for 6-8 weeks if something went wrong with it.

The Leica is probably the worst value. (image quality per dollar)

I also used the 645D alongside the Nikon D800E and I was giving up a bit of image quality to the Nikon in some instances. Unfortunately it takes a lot of "horsepower" to really handily beat the D800E (in the landscape situations I use the camera in), the kind that only the 60 and 80mp backs have.

Also, I though (from looking at files) that the sensor in the IQ140 / P40+ is a little better than the one in the 645D. But it is close. There the large difference in price might be harder to justify. But again, at the prices these backs sell (even the 645D, which admittedly is at the lower end in price) people's preferences play a big role in the purchase. Again, not being high value items takes the money a wee bit out of the equation.

For value nothing will beat a D800E or even a Sony 7R. The 645D kinda a plays into their hands, not having an outstanding lens system and having similar resolution and color depth than the Nikon/Sony.

Shashin

I have had more problems with lenses on my D800E than my Pentax, particularly in the corners. Color is much better in the Pentax. But this is the MFD thread. We have had tons of posts about the D800/MFD debate, and the OP is not asking about a 35mm cameras--there are better forums for that.

Well, I have never seen a direct comparison of the Pentax 645D to the P1 backs. But I also shoot with a P25+ and I don't see a great difference beyond resolution, more of a preference really. Naturally, if you wanted to shoot at ISO1600 unbinned with the IQ140, you can't. ISO1600 is very good on the Pentax. And you are limited to 1 minute exposure time with Phase--no limit to the 645D.

This is just preference. We can play this game all day. I see nothing wrong with suggesting the OP consider the Pentax 645D.

johnnygoesdigital

Some do take it personally I'd say...
This thread is way past its freshness date. For simple landscape get an Alpa with vibration free leaf shutters and be done with it.

arionelli

This thread is way past its freshness date. For simple landscape get an Alpa with vibration free leaf shutters and be done with it.
I probably should have elaborated on the 'simple landscape mostly' part a bit more initially, JGD, in that I also do flowers, close-up details and a little portrait, and can't really afford multiple systems...that, and asked the recent Q in a new thread...my bad form.

'Zat your chosen tool, btw? Would like to be able to afford one alongside a mfdslr.

tcdeveau

If you're looking for simple landscape, don't forget about the Hassy 35-90mm. This is the main reason I went with the H system for now (and the focal range where I take most of my shots). It's excellent stopped down and carrying one lens as opposed to several has many advantages. I got mine used for way less than the price of a new one. Leica also has a similar lens for the S system but it's really expensive and relatively hard to hunt down. Hasselblad has really reasonable certified pre-owned prices on H4D bodies as well (how I bought my H4D-40). For me anyway, it was a nice entry into MFD that fits a lot of my needs without breaking the bank. Also, travel-wise, carrying one lens in my bag for the H gives me room to carry the D800E and a couple lenses for the times when I can't/don't want to use the H.

johnnygoesdigital

arionelli-

My apologies, that wasn't meant as a criticism towards you, but more of a way to deflect the the Pentax 645D debate that always occurs when one disses another's camera. I think it's prudent to take one's time when searching for gear because of price points and considerable depreciation of new MFD gear. I shot with the H4D/40 with the 28mm. I used this extensively for landscapes, and most certainly appreciate the leaf shutters over any focal plane camera for virtually vibration free photos when used with the MU function. The H is also a fantastic portrait and macro camera. The sensor used in the H4D/40 is the same one used in the Pentax 645D. I ultimately sold my H4D/40 in favor of the H2. I can shoot film and digital with seamless integration,, albeit the HCD 28mm, but I think the H2F is compatible and H1/2's are a great buy! Personally, I think leaf shutters have the advantage.

arionelli

Hi johnny...
Now you're talking! This is the sort of commentary I find worthwhile to help me decide, tech and monetary experiences...in fact I have been leaning towards the H for reasons as you have stated, but baulking in case it is a little too much 35mm dsrlesque (as opposed to V and Contax)...I think I need a good hands-on but access and time is limited atm.
Understood your previous motivation, btw...all good ;-)

Happy New Year to all.
Martin (arionelli=my kids)

arionelli

Sashin
I had also thought about the 645D, especially wrt its price and that it has a reported good mirror/shutter damping setup. The main detraction for me though is that I can at best only use my V lenses (I still have 3) only in stop down metered manual mode. Nevertheless, I haven't entirely dismissed it and may see how much hassle it is to get my hands on one as well as the H, since in Australia, CRKennedy deals/distributes both.

Pentax is a good value. Just pray nothing happens to it. Read up, repair times are extremely lengthy and support is spotty (at least in the US). It is a shame because it is a superb DSLR.

Not to sidetrack this thread, maybe someone with something to say could start another one, but is the service on the Pentax 645D really that bad? I've been wanting one of these but .....

Thanks,
Robert