The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Digitar, Rodenstock Digaron info for the pixel peeper

torger

I'm in the planning phase for moving to medium format digital. Linhof Techno seems like a likely platform, since I want movements and the lens mount is much cheaper than the pancake cameras.

Anyway, I find it really hard to find lens reviews (unlike for 35mm digital) which makes it hard to plan the system, price/performance and absolute performance are important factors to me. I'd prefer to build the system from Schneider Digitar lenses, since they are generally less costly than Rodenstock. But performance is important too. And within the Schneider series there are interesting price differences, the 43mm cost almost twice as the 47mm... is there a huge performance difference? Perhaps some of the low cost Rodenstock Apo-Sironar really is much sharper than the 9um they claim themselves and is a really good buy. Etc.

How do you do to find out lens performance before buying? Read the manufactures MTF charts? Scan forums for user opinions?

gazwas

How do you do to find out lens performance before buying? Read the manufactures MTF charts? Scan forums for user opinions?
All of the above and when ever possible, rent/loan from a dealer. When I initially purchase my camera I bought the SK43xl but soon after doubted my decision after reading lots of info on here and other places about the RS40HR-W and how wonderful it was. I rented the 40HR and while it was a super lens, after just a few clicks it became obvious I much preferred the Schneider.

With any of the modern RS and SK digital lenses, I don't think there are any duds and all perform exceptionally well. Older lenses depends very much on your choice of back.

To answer your question about the 47 vs 43 its all based of personal preference as one being worth the cost over the other and testing is the only way to satisfy that question.......... I chose the 43

Last edited: