The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H4X Compatability with Phase One IQ DB

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I've had Phase One IQ 180 which I currently used with Phase One DF.
I've still had Hasselblad H lenses especially 28mm, 35-90mm, 80mm and HTS 1.5. I am wondering anyone have experience with H4X and Phase One IQ DB especially IQ 180. I've still had an option to change the "M" to "H" mounts as I bought a value added warrantee from CI.
I only do landscape photography.
Thank you

Last edited:

ghoonk

I'm curious about this as well. I have been impressed with the IQ180 (though I do wish for longer exposures up to 256s), and was wondering if the H4X would play nice with the IQ backs generically or if they would be specifically matched by Hasselblad

gazwas

They are not compatible as the firmware in the IQ doesn't support this camera yet as it is so new.

What are you hoping to gain from switching, being able to shoot with the lenses you already own?

I've just upgraded to the DF and while its not perfect its not bad either. AF is OK, the camera is solid and its pretty responsive for a Mamiya 645. After all its just a means to mount some great lenses to and amazing back.

See Phase One support forum link below.

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11660

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Gareth..DF is a great system although I've really missed the combination of Hasselblad H4D-40 (I used to have), 28mm, 35-90mm, 150mm and HTS 1.5. I know there is some cropping issue with IQ180. My H1 body doesn't work with 28mm and 35-90mm.
I plan to migrate to tech camera and may have to trade some of my schneider and Mamiya lenses with it. I've been waiting for the quote from Chris Snipes at CI.
Thanks
Pramote

gazwas

I plan to migrate to tech camera and may have to trade some of my schneider and Mamiya lenses with it. I've been waiting for the quote from Chris Snipes at CI.
I started tech camera only! Point blank refusing to purchase into the half baked Phamiya system. Contary to the current trend on GetDPI to sell up and go fully tech cam, after twelve months I gave up realising not everything can and should be shot with a tech camera.

Having originally purchased a 645AF and just last week upgrading to the DF, I have now realised that there is some really sweet new Phase D/Schneider and some cracking older Mamiya M645 glass about. A great system IMO with many generations of lenses to play with and something the Blad camera lacks.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Gareth! I will keep your opinion in mind too. Some Mamiya and all Schneider lenses are excellent. I just cannot keep 2 systems and there is a potential of trading opportunity for the Phase One system's lenses. Let's see what happens.
Thanks
Pramote

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Even if you can mount now an IQ back on a H4X, I would not start mixing systems. All my experiences tell me that this has never worked 100% flawlessly.

I would either stay with HB or go Phase. 100%!

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Also please be aware that you will not be getting the most out of your IQ180 with Hasselblad 28mm and 35-90mm as they do not support Full Frame Sensors.

The 28 will be equal to a 31 mm lens and the 35-90 will be equal to a 38-90 mm.

Lance

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Also please be aware that you will not be getting the most out of your IQ180 with Hasselblad 28mm and 35-90mm as they do not support Full Frame Sensors.

The 28 will be equal to a 31 mm lens and the 35-90 will be equal to a 38-90 mm.

Lance
Well,

this is only true limited, as the 28 for example will capture the full frame of the IQ180 (as it does on the HB 60MB back, but the edges will have less quality (IMHO minimally less quality). Same is true for the 38-90.