The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 14-24 with digital back. Question.

• Thread starter Jakub Certowicz
  • Start date

gerald.d

Stefan & Gerald, take a chill pill. I am just yanking your chain. I am an architectural shooter, so you are preaching to the converted re ultra-wides. If there was a proven, viable lens wider than the 23, I would have it in a flash. Go ahead and experiment, I'm all for it. I'll even help where I can. I'm taking the p_ss primarily because the 14-24, with all the inherant compromizes of a short zoom, is probably the last place I would start. Stefans and others work with the 17 Canon has my attention for sure, but the 14-24???? I'm not looking for a cheap solution that kinda works. I want something that will rival the 23Rodie for quality, but wider FOV and covering the 80MP sensor.
I don't think anyone is in need of a chill pill.

I think you're in for a very long wait for anything approaching the 23HR quality but with the FoV of the Canon 17 TS-E, and I would imagine the cost would be astronomical.

Having said that, I'm having a processed version of this blown up to 2 meters wide, so I'll let you know how it comes out. It should be fine to look at from a natural viewing distance.

Sure, it's not remotely Rodie quality, but I'd rather have this quality, than no quality at all (below is basically unprocessed and was only a VERY quick dump purely for copyright registration purposes).

Another one, that shows why I wanted it this wide...

I'll be taking a Max and a 23HR to the same location sometime in February. No fireworks then of course, but I'll do a comparison between the HR, 17 and 24 TS-E's. We all know what the result will be though :D

Stefan Steib

Well there are 3 advantages of the TSE24mm against the HR23 Digaron:

1.: http://www.hcam.de/downloads/IQ180-24mmTSE-02.jpg

6 mm shift upwards on the IQ180, no LCC needed, no centerfilter needed

2.: 2000 € against 7200€

3.: I can use shift and Tilt (at the same time! which frame can do this with the HR23mm ???? ) and still have a visible image that I can focus to !

Sorry folks, but real wideangles like the Schneiders are completely out of useage, the Rodenstock (which is a retrofocus design !) has maxed out for usability at about 40 Mpix and chipsizes of the P45+ or smaller.

Rodenstock was on the right path when they designed it, but they were not consequent enough foreseeing the actual 80 Mpix 5,2 Microns at that chip size.

regards
Stefan

goesbang

Stefan, I have to say that all looks pretty promising, but as someone who already owns a 23, I am more interested in the work you are doing with the 17. Do keep me up to date. I'll be in touch directly sometime in April, from which time I will be living in Switzerland.
Cheers.

goesbang

Gerald, were you shooting through window glass? Whats with the secondary image of the fireworks? I hope these are mega-low res versions, cause the res these indicate certainly doesn't cut it.

D&A

Hi All,

Just enjoying the optical considerations of all this. I'm surprised the image circle on some of these 35mm format lenses have such a big image circle.

In any case Stefen, below is the link to detailed instructions on how to remove the Zeiss 15mm hood, which is a completely reversable process, (if so desired).

LensRentals.com - Zeiss 15mm Hood Removal

Dave (D&A)

Stefan Steib

Hi Dave

Thanks for the link ! Yes this was what Zeiss already told me on Photokina.
I need to call them again and ask for a converted one, I do so many things and forget others, I sometimes wish I could split myself into two or even four Stefans to get everything done.............:)

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

gerald.d

Gerald, were you shooting through window glass? Whats with the secondary image of the fireworks? I hope these are mega-low res versions, cause the res these indicate certainly doesn't cut it.
Nope, that's the cross-talk problem with the IQ180. It's been discussed here before.

gerald.d

And "doesn't cut it" for what?

It's an impossible image with any other kit other than a 17 TSE on a full frame digital back.

It was good enough for the Expo2020 bid to hunt me down because they want to use it in Davos, it was good enough for Gizmodo to feature it, and it was good enough for the Crown Prince of Dubai to select it as his favorite shot of the New Year's celebrations in Dubai.

Like I said before. I'd rather be able to shoot that quality with the TS-E, than not be able to shoot the image at all.

D&A

Hi Dave

Thanks for the link ! Yes this was what Zeiss already told me on Photokina.
I need to call them again and ask for a converted one, I do so many things and forget others, I sometimes wish I could split myself into two or even four Stefans to get everything done.............:)

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Hi Stefen,

You're welcome. I think there are quite a few who use the Zeiss 15mm on a number of different camera systems, who would like to see this lens designed with a removeable hood for a wide variety of applications. I would think it wouldn't be too hard for Zeiss to do this but wish they had done so in the original design.

Stefen, I hear you. I too would like 2, 3 or 4 of "me", so I could get everything I need to get done, each day. Either that or extend a day to be longer than 24 hrs...LOL!

Of course there is always cloning, but I fear that if there would three or four of "me", they'd spend the entire day arguing just "how" and in what order to get things done and that would end up being as much as a time waster as anything else. Of course each one would want their own medium format camera system too! So ultimately we have to be mindful of what we wish for :)

Dave (D&A)

Stefan Steib

>>>>>>Stefen, I hear you. I too would like 2, 3 or 4 of "me", so I could get everything I need to get done, each day. Either that or extend a day to be longer than 24 hrs...LOL!

Of course there is always cloning, but I fear that if there would three or four of "me", they'd spend the entire day arguing just "how" and in what order to get things done and that would end up being as much as a time waster as anything else. Of course each one would want their own medium format camera system too! So ultimately we have to be mindful of what we wish for :)<<<<<<<<<<

of course I would be the "chef" of the other 3 and would be sitting and drinking coffee and give them orders............ :D

D&A

>>>>>>Stefen, I hear you. I too would like 2, 3 or 4 of "me", so I could get everything I need to get done, each day. Either that or extend a day to be longer than 24 hrs...LOL!

Of course there is always cloning, but I fear that if there would three or four of "me", they'd spend the entire day arguing just "how" and in what order to get things done and that would end up being as much as a time waster as anything else. Of course each one would want their own medium format camera system too! So ultimately we have to be mindful of what we wish for :)<<<<<<<<<<

of course I would be the "chef" of the other 3 and would be sitting and drinking coffee and give them orders............ :D
In an ideal world, that would be the way to go :) ....although I would also ask one of those clones to start removing the hood on the Zeiss 15mm! LOL!

DAve (D&A)

gerald.d

I'm going to be testing out the 15mm Distagon on the HCam/IQ180 tomorrow. Won't be able to take the lens shade off I'm afraid, but hopefully will get a decent idea as to how it performs.

Stefan Steib

Hi Gerald

How did it work ? I need to call Mr. Horn in Oberkochen. I have an IQ180 now for testing with it.

Regards
Stefan

gerald.d

Unfortunately, I couldn't arrange to meet with the guy who has one.

I do now have a Rodie 23 HR, so hope to do a comparison between it and the 24 TSE soon :)

gerald.d

The Zeiss 15mm -

Hmm. Someone's going to have to buy one and take the hood off, and that ain't gonna be me!

Stefan Steib

Hi Gerald

Spoke to Dr. Nasse today and I think they will send me one with the hood removed. He will get back to me soon.

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Hi Gerald

I personally think the 14-24mm Nikkor is more likely to work with a larger net image angle. But we will see.

BTW- you need our upgrade for the TS-E lenses ! :D

Regards
Stefan