The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 14-24 with digital back. Question.

• Thread starter Jakub Certowicz
  • Start date
J

Jakub Certowicz

This is my first post, so hello everyone!
I'm preparing to use some dslr lenses with P45 or bigger one.
Anyone tested Nikkor 14-24 with lens shade sewed off as Stefan Steib metioned once :)? I need to know how big is the image cirlce of this lens.
Regards!
Jakub

J

Jakub Certowicz

Thanks Stefan but unfortunately it means that You haven`t test 14-24 without lens shade:( Am I right?
This photo shows that it should cover the whole P45 frame but maybe You have an idea whats more than this?
Sharpness near the lens shade looks impressive. I suppose You haven`t use any LCC corrections in C1? What about CA corrections?
I`ve got 14-24 but I`m not sure if this is good idea to "saw off" the lens shade before I`m sure it works.
I`m sorry for my poor English, it`s not my first language.
Thanks one more time.

Regards,
Jakub

Stefan Steib

No LCC or any correction at all - this is just opened with C1 6.3.3 standard settings and saved as JPG.

I will buy a 14-24mm soon, because I really want to find out.
we have now done the 17mm and 24mm TSE mods for larger movements with 80 Mpix

drevil

Staff member
wow so the image circle of the tse 17mm is not enough to cover a mf fullframe chip?

Stefan Steib

It is large enough, but with the modification we improve movements and get better closeup, preventing barrel vignetting with 80 Mpix.

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

I will post samples with IQ 180 as soon as we are ready with testing it. The rebuild was just finished and we are now evaluating the mods. We have invested several days of work on this and we will offer this as a paid service. It takes about 5-6 hours per lens and we will charge 400 €(+taxes +shipment) per lens including handling and changed parts. The inner Tube is massive metal, the whole inner mechanism is mounted on this and because of this the whole lens needs to be taken apart and the back part has to be “reconstructed” (no joke!). This is only be done by an experienced and very well equipped camera mechanic.

Regards
Stefan

coulombic

I will post samples with IQ 180 as soon as we are ready with testing it. The rebuild was just finished and we are now evaluating the mods. We have invested several days of work on this and we will offer this as a paid service. It takes about 5-6 hours per lens and we will charge 400 €(+taxes +shipment) per lens including handling and changed parts. The inner Tube is massive metal, the whole inner mechanism is mounted on this and because of this the whole lens needs to be taken apart and the back part has to be “reconstructed” (no joke!). This is only be done by an experienced and very well equipped camera mechanic.

Regards
Stefan
I have both the 17mm TSE and the 24mm (among numerous others), and I'm rather interested in this modification. Post-modification, how large (approximately) is the image circle? Right now, movements are fairly limited on my HCam with the 17/24. . .how much movement (with a Leaf Aptus-II 12) would I see post-mod?

coulombic

Gabe

the lenses will go to test next week, I hope we have results in about 2 weeks.

Regards
Stefan
Thanks, Stefan. Currently, the image circle for both lenses, I believe, is around 67mm (easily handles full frame 645, but not much in terms of movements). If you could get the IC to somewhere around 80mm (or greater), I'd be ecstatic. I currently have the Zeiss 35mm PC and the Schneider 90mm PC which both have something to the effect of 83mm of image circle, which I'm rather happy with (thus, the 80mm benchmark).

Laboratory results aside, what are your current estimated projections of image circle expansion for these lenses?

Stefan Steib

Hi Gabe

I´m sure The Image Circles of the Canons are even bigger than 80mm.
This was proved and tested by me with my P45+ that I used for 2 years.
with the P45+ the 17mm had about 6-7mm vertikal and about 8 horizontal, the 24mm nearly the full lens movements of 10-12mm
What we see here with the 80 Mpix backs is Barrel vignetting.
And this was the reason we removed the Barrel part inside.
Of course Canon never planned to see their lenses on an HCam.....:)
There is a limit though which is a product of distance of the back lens to the most narrow part of that system which is the EF mount.
This will limit also the usage of (real)Superteles, where the back lenses are far away from the mount. Telezooms on the other hand which use lenses close to the mount will perfectly funktion very often.
And this also happens when you go Macro, wich is probably not a strength of the HCam, BUT you can very well do it with a lens like the 2,8/60mm Nikon AFD where the lens is close to the mount.

Regards
Stefan

I'm not understanding why people would want to use a 14-24 with medium format? Not even close in my opinion to the rodi lenses. I understand the want to use the new Canon tilt/shifts, I also understand using old zeiss lenses and lenses with a unique look, but 14-24? That test photo does not show any quality or artistic edge that helps me understand at all...

gerald.d

I'm not understanding why people would want to use a 14-24 with medium format? Not even close in my opinion to the rodi lenses. I understand the want to use the new Canon tilt/shifts, I also understand using old zeiss lenses and lenses with a unique look, but 14-24? That test photo does not show any quality or artistic edge that helps me understand at all...
But there isn't a Rodenstock 14mm.

What's the harm in a little experimentation? It would be a dull world if nobody even ever tried this stuff out.

Stefan Steib

@Siebel + shortpballer

the Nikon at 14mm on a MF back has an image angle of 134,8 degr. diagonal at f 2,8 which you can focus visually very easily.

the 23mm Rodenstock (with no movements at large chips and color shifts and center filter- means real aperture of f8-11-have fun at focusing it visually......) has an image angle of only 111,2 degr. diagonal which is a whole different league.

We don´t talk about "artistic" here. We talk about hard facts in car interior photography,interior architecture, large buildings in narrow roads, closeups with spectacular angles and other features you cannot realise with any other solution right now.

Who needs wideangle knows what a godsent this is.

I am close to buy a 14-24mm. First thing I will do is saw this shade off.....
BTW- the new Zeiss 15mm Distagon seems to have an even larger image circle and the shade is also removeable (I was told so by Zeiss).

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

PS.: forgot the pricing. The HR Digaron 23mm is 7200 € the Nikon 14-24mm is 1500 €......

gerald.d

I don't think anyone would question that if the 23HR will do the job, and if you have one available, then it's going to do the job better than, say, the Canon 24 TSE-II.

But the simple fact is, there are jobs it can't do. And there are jobs that, for example, the 17TSE on an HCam or FPS with a full frame sensor, work very well for.

Having this weird and whacky kit means you can sometimes get shots that would otherwise be impossible to pull off.

Personally, I appreciate having the opportunity to pull off the seemingly impossible because at some point in the past, someone was crazy enough to say "hey... I wonder whether this would work...?"

goesbang

Stefan & Gerald, take a chill pill. I am just yanking your chain. I am an architectural shooter, so you are preaching to the converted re ultra-wides. If there was a proven, viable lens wider than the 23, I would have it in a flash. Go ahead and experiment, I'm all for it. I'll even help where I can. I'm taking the p_ss primarily because the 14-24, with all the inherant compromizes of a short zoom, is probably the last place I would start. Stefans and others work with the 17 Canon has my attention for sure, but the 14-24???? I'm not looking for a cheap solution that kinda works. I want something that will rival the 23Rodie for quality, but wider FOV and covering the 80MP sensor.

Funny,
I wrote something kind of like this then decided not to say it lol. But to me just a zoom on a tech camera is just not right. I haven't even taken thoughts on zooms in years. No one chooses all manual cameras that take 5 times longer to take a picture to add a zoom which in turn actually makes a workflow maybe even longer. But as you say, the canon 17 and some of the zeiss lenses have my attention for sure.

Stefan & Gerald, take a chill pill. I am just yanking your chain. I am an architectural shooter, so you are preaching to the converted re ultra-wides. If there was a proven, viable lens wider than the 23, I would have it in a flash. Go ahead and experiment, I'm all for it. I'll even help where I can. I'm taking the p_ss primarily because the 14-24, with all the inherant compromizes of a short zoom, is probably the last place I would start. Stefans and others work with the 17 Canon has my attention for sure, but the 14-24???? I'm not looking for a cheap solution that kinda works. I want something that will rival the 23Rodie for quality, but wider FOV and covering the 80MP sensor.