The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 28mm vs Cambo 24mm lens

J

jmvdigital

I'm a little unclear here. Does this color shift happen only when used with tilt/shift or can it happen even just when shooting on the standard AFD3 body with a regular lens? If both, is the color shift worse with wide angles like the 28mm D?

I guess what I'm driving at.. is it beneficial for me to tote around the plexi even though I'll only be shooting straight on the AFD body with my 30+?

Well FWIW, I carry the sheet of CI plexi with me if I use my P45+ on anything other than the AFD3 body for that very reason. IF one is going to use any MFDB in conjunction with a shift/wide-angle camera, I think it needs to become part of their standard workflow. :)

E

ericstaud

I'm a little unclear here. Does this color shift happen only when used with tilt/shift or can it happen even just when shooting on the standard AFD3 body with a regular lens? If both, is the color shift worse with wide angles like the 28mm D?

I guess what I'm driving at.. is it beneficial for me to tote around the plexi even though I'll only be shooting straight on the AFD body with my 30+?
You won't see a problem. A good rule is that if you have a mirror box between the lens and back, there is no problem. The exception would be tilt/shift lenses.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Justin, the color shift is only an issue on non-slr bodies with view-camera style lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
But you can use the calibration card for WB and shoot a frame with it over your lens and WB off that in C1 and apply to the rest of the images. Works a charm too.

E

ericstaud

But you can use the calibration card for WB and shoot a frame with it over your lens and WB off that in C1 and apply to the rest of the images. Works a charm too.
This is pretty dreamy. I've started doing my white plexi captures with the camera pointed towards the light source for just this reason.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, given that the frame shows a cast, which part of it do you use to WB?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I do WB after applying lcc.
Works fine. LCC seems to work like a spatially varying profile.
-bob

PeterA

You can see the colour caste issue in the image above - the degree and placement varies from shot to shot accordign to conditions. This made with H3D11-39 on Alpa with 35XL. No big deal for me using white balance workflow mentioned above if I dont like what I see.