The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CF card for Phase one IQ160

felix5616

Thanks, i am using a Kingston 16GB 133X but the write time seems slow. I am not sure if it is the back or the CF card slowing things down.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It just might not be supported in the firmware so that is what maybe happening. Just not sure though.

miska

Hi,
Just to understand this CF compatibility business. Is the problem that some cards are "bad quality" or does this have to do with the P1 back not supporting newer standards that are not backward compatible ?

I always buy quality (=San Disk or Lexar) cards. So should I just stick to the official list ? Is there a danger that if I buy the latest and greatest CF from San Disk, that it will not work (at all - or worst, lose images) on my IQ160 ?
For those who have tested cards and seen them not working: is it that they don't work at all (never recognized, cannot be formatted in the back etc) ? Or is it rather that they work until they lose couple of pics here and there ?
Thanks !

Paul2660

For the 160/260, I have always used the Scandisk extreme cards, which see to work fine. You will still get an occasional error when viewing files, but I have always seen with with Phase One backs. Errors seems to happen more often as the card gets full and you browse back towards the beginning of the card. At times the files will load up with huge jpg blocks and just stay there, requiring a reboot of the back.

The other card I tried was the transsend brand, 400x and 800x. These cards work fine also, however they are not on the list from Phase One.

This brings up one other question, why won't Phase One allow the images to wrap, i.e. when you get to the end of the images on a card, to get back to the beginning, you have to scroll all the way back to the beginning, and can't just roll forward to no1 again. On a 32GB card this take a bit of time.

Paul C.

miska

I guess I am completely ignorant as to why some cards work and others do not. I would have thought that a card is a card, following standard X. So either it follows the standard X or it doesn't work.
Oh well, I'll stick to the official list (which hasn't been updated for a while, which isn't nice, as card technology improves all the time).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Miska, any normal card *should* work fine, including any major brand card which is not on the list.

The official list simply an indication that someone at phase one has specifically and thoroughly tested that specific card in several backs across a variety of operations and scenarios. Since the tests are so thorough they aren't updated with great frequency.

The iq series is UDMA7 complaint and with the current firmware they acheive higher real world read/write speeds than almost any other camera. So it's not an issue of supporting newer spec cards, but quite the opposite. If you use a cheap card that nearly, but not completely, lives up to a particular spec then many cameras won't notice but the IQ might since it's pushing the card to the spec limit. Like using cheap tires on a high end sports car.

Another way of thinking about it is to say the supported card list is there to help with support/troubleshooting. If a problem is happening and you're using more than one copy of a "supported" card then it will be clear the issue is with the back. If you're using an unsupported card and having an issue the first troubleshooting step will be to see if the problem occurs using more than one copy of a supported card.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don't believe the 'should work' vs tested & certified by Phase One. The best CF cards of their time (Hoodman 16GB) ended up losing images when Phase One updated their firmware on the IQ160. I got burned. Those cards work perfectly with every other camera I own that support CF cards. After my experience they ended up on the official 'unsupported' list and now I will only use cards tested by Phase One.

San Disk Extreme Pro seems to be the safe choice. Lexar 600x work for me too.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Didn't mean that to sound negative to your advice. Just after having been burned once I found it safer to buy cards on the list. I always trust in your advice Doug :thumbs:

alajuela

Hi

I vote for the San Disk Extreme Pro 16 or 32 G -- I have been using San Disk for over 10 years - should be no problem, and they are on the list for added comfort.

I also never delete photos from the camera, I also copy the files from the card via card reader, NOT move. Also format the card(s) before every shot.

I do have to say, the San Disk card reader leaves something to be desired, I have bent the pins at least 3 times on the CF slot. The Lexar card reader seems to be better

Phil