The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

32mm HR

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Well . . . with some assistance from Jeff Hirsh of Fotocare I traded my 35mm Schneider for the current 32mm Rodenstock. Gain: a 90mm image circle which means I can go very wide (28mm or so equivalent) stitching with my Alpa Max and it's the end of the "blue zone of death". Indeed it's almost (but not quite) possible to use it centered with the IQ 180 without an LCC. The only negative is that it adds a pound and a half to my carry around kit. It looks kind of fragile in pictures but in real life it's quite robust. The focus mount is beautifully weighted.

The results are sensational.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Some stitches, I won't bother you with corner crops - the entire image circle is usable, right up to the point where things suddenly get dark. I managed to talk myself out of a center filter - it's not needed centered - but it really is necessary with extreme shifts so I'm planning on getting one. The stitching on the pano s a little rough - it would have come out better with a center filter (or if I spent a bit more time on it).

vieri

Looking good Woody :) A question, did you use an LCC with these? Maybe is just me, but I seem to notice definite magenta & green casts around the images... just wondering.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Looking good Woody :) A question, did you use an LCC with these? Maybe is just me, but I seem to notice definite magenta & green casts around the images... just wondering.
I did. I noticed the same thing. One possible explanation: the lccs are quite sensitive to f-stop. I made two for my walking around images - one at f4 and one at f8. In actual fact I fine tuned exposure from f8 by 1/3 or 2/3 stop depending on the light so that could be the issue. I'll have some time over the weekend to take a more disciplined look at this.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's a lovely lens . I tested it on the 160 and it was really really nice . Big, heavy and expensive. But you get your money's worth.

rupho

I traded my 28XL Schneider for this lens and I am much happier as well. I am amazed by Guy's fantastic recent results with his 28 XL. There seems to be a huge difference between the IQ180 when it comes to color cast compared to the IQ160.
Nevertheless the 32HR is nothing short of great

Steve Hendrix

Just a technical note - the image circle for both lenses (SK 35mm and HR 32mm) is the same, however the Rodenstock allows more effective utilization of the circle (especially with an IQ180).

Steve Hendrix

anGy

Yea for the 180 the 32 HR is the answer and the Rodie 23. The 160 has the elbow room for the SK 28.
Any reason you didn't quote the 28mm Rodie you just tested ? I'm looking at it seriously for my IQ180 if I can sell my 35mm SK for a reasonable price. if not, and regarding the amazing sharpness of it when not shifted too much, I'll keep it and turn my eyes towards the 23mm Rodie. Not easy...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No I spaced it out, my bad yes the 28 Rodie on the 180 as well. So 23,28,32 in Rodie flavor for the 180. The 28mm should work very nicely on the 180, I would consider the CF for it and know that your movements will be limited to about 7mm and for a lot of shooters that is quite a lot from a extreme wide angle. Its very very sharp too.

Note though I have not shot the Rodie 28mm on a 180 but I have the 23 and 32mm.

I think what you will find as far as movements on the 180

23=3mm
28=7mm
32=12mm

anGy

Thanks Guy.
I'm sure the 32mm Rodie is a terrific lens but personally find the very wide angle more and more appealing. Sometimes a 23mm can help to get rid of perturbing elements in the frame f.i. when shooting buildings. The closest we are from it the less annoying is the presence of parked cars, trees, public lightning, traffic lights, ads, etc. Could look like a strange argument but I think a 32 or 35mm focal brings more challenging framing in dense environments.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
12mm looks like about what I'm getting in terms of shift. Here's 10mm, with the center filter (which I picked up today). 5 frames focus stacked, which is kind of a pain. I've got it on good authority that we can expect a body with shifts and tilts from Alpa sometime this year.

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
On an ipad, this is insanely gorgeous. I am deeply allergic to treading in other people's footsteps for a shot, but I would copy this in a flash!
The long DR that you get out the IQ 180 gives you a nice ability to fuss with shadows a bit to make them more transparent - a real plus for MF in my view.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Here's the Alpa TC set up with the 32mm HR and the IQ 180. I've adapted a CZ 21mm finder for use with this lens - I like it much better than the Alpa finder because its more or less rectilinear, making it much easier to line up verticals and horizontals.

It balances perfectly well handheld. Not as compact as the SK 35 but completely workable. Weighs about 5.1 lbs as shown; with the Schneider it was under 4. I hesitate to post this because Guy is so good at shooting equipment - this looks pretty amateurish. I've got the high resolution focusing ring on order.

Last edited: