The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

32mm HR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Glad you posted this with this combo of 180 and 32. I wish I was able to use a 180 when I had the 28mm here.

gazwas

Wow Woody, that looks like one of those old fashioned elephant guns! :p

You must get some funny looks while using that.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Wow Woody, that looks like one of those old fashioned elephant guns! :p

You must get some funny looks while using that.
It really looks like a blunderbuss. I'm frequently approached by photographers and fanciers who are generally a pretty nice bunch. Reactions to of people in front of the lens tend to be whimsical - sort of "this thing can't be real." I'm not the most exotic piece of gear on the NY street - I saw a guy yesterday shooting a Red something or other - he escaped before I could talk to him. This is obviously the next frontier for gear nuts.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Glad you posted this with this combo of 180 and 32. I wish I was able to use a 180 when I had the 28mm here.
I've now (finally) assembled a full range of big image circle lenses that work with the 180: the HR 32 (90mm); the SK 48 (98mm according to Schneider but 90 or so useable in my rig); SK 72mm (90mm); and SK 120N (a whopping 120mm).

The SK 72 is now offered as the SK 75, which is its actual focal length.

By the way with the HR 32 I expected mustache distortion to be a problem. So far it hasn't been noticeable.

I was just on the Alpa site - they've posted a new, 64 bit version of the lens corrector tool.

yatlee

Looks really good Woody, may I know where you get the center filter? There is limited information avaliable online. Thanks

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woody, that's one heck of a viewfinder tree you've got going there! I think that the only VF that looks stranger is the Voigtlander telescope vari-finder and it's associated Alpa mount! (Ok, truthfully the iPhone assembly looks pretty gnarly too).

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here's the Alpa TC set up with the 32mm HR and the IQ 180. I've adapted a CZ 21mm finder for use with this lens - I like it much better than the Alpa finder because its more or less rectilinear, making it much easier to line up verticals and horizontals.

It balances perfectly well handheld. Not as compact as the SK 35 but completely workable. Weighs about 5.1 lbs as shown; with the Schneider it was under 4. I hesitate to post this because Guy is so good at shooting equipment - this looks pretty amateurish. I've got the high resolution focusing ring on order.

Woody

Here an other solution for a dwarfs view finder .
Its a VOIGTLANDER 21/25mm and can be removed very quickly .
It is a quick iPHONE shot .

View attachment 66051

etrump

It is a fantastic lens and my experience matches yours. The thing about that lens is the contrast and rendering is something special giving images a really natural feel IMO.

I would be curious how you feel about the slight distortion from the lens. I have often thought of doing a correction mapping for photoshop but have yet to find the time.

I have gotten away from using canned LCCs as even the focus point can change the color cast. I actually shoot them for every lens I own and have noticed improvements even on the 72 and 150. It has become a habit to take my last shot as an LCC with an extra 2 stops. As most of you already know, C1 7 has been optimized for this workflow as well.

A word of caution: Don't walk around much with this lens on your camera and keep it in a protected location in your camera bag. The lens is rugged but the copal 0 is not up to the task with such a heavy front end. After a couple of years mine started getting soft on the edges which progressed to be unusable. The front element is also large enough that you can easily loosen it from the shutter trying to remove a stubborn filter. Cambo took care of me but now I treat it with kit gloves as it is my second most used lens.