The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DF body loses settings ...

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So my DF body seems to have developed a problem. It will just randomly lose all my custom settings, C1 to C3 and A-C. This can happen while I'm just sitting waiting for the light, or while I hike a short distance to set up for another composition. Also the self timer seems to have a mind of it's own, I'll turn it on, and about 15 seconds later it will be off. Then later in the day I'll turn it off because I have the cable release shortly it will turn itself on.

I've been shooting with this body since the 2009 PODAS workshop and never seen anything like this before.

Is there a small backup battery in these bodies? Can't find any hint of it in the manual. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Wayne,

My DF body started doing that recently also. I haven't had the timer go nuts but I have had the custom functions go back to defaults randomly. I always set up the camera with AF-ON on the rear and disable the shutter focus half-press and this would unpredictably go back to default settings when I least expected.

I did wonder if it was the IQ back that was causing the issue now that it reprograms the custom functions. When I change the backs between my IQ160 and P25+ I seem to have the problem. I haven't had it happen this week with just the P25+ on the body though.

anGy

Wayne,

My DF body started doing that recently also. I haven't had the timer go nuts but I have had the custom functions go back to defaults randomly. I always set up the camera with AF-ON on the rear and disable the shutter focus half-press and this would unpredictably go back to default settings when I least expected.

I did wonder if it was the IQ back that was causing the issue now that it reprograms the custom functions. When I change the backs between my IQ160 and P25+ I seem to have the problem. I haven't had it happen this week with just the P25+ on the body though.
My DF also loses custom settings. It did so randomly with my P40 and still does with my IQ.

Steve C

I have the same problem. After changing batteries in the DF, the problem has stopped for now. I use the expensive Li batteries and they were still showing full charge on the camera when I changed them. Don't know if that was the cause, time will tell.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well this is interesting and I'll have to test out my DF again for this with various back combinations. It's a bit frustrating because I actually cancelled a sale of my 2nd DF at the last moment a few weeks back when this happened the day before I was due to pack it all up.

kdphotography

I'm a little wary right now, as I *think* my CF settings may have changed back to default at least one time. I'm watching my DF closely now, but it seems to be holding the setting for CF19, AF set to accuracy, as opposed to defaulting back to speed.

I'm using Energizer Lithium AA batteries. The DF battery meter doesn't seem very accurate to me, which doesn't help the situation if it is a power issue (low battery signal notice a little too late). It seems to me that the CF setting issue is either a battery/power or a firmware glitch somewhere. Maybe it's an excuse to buy that new Li ion battery insert... :rolleyes:

An interim fix that might help is to save your personal CF settings on the back as user A, B, or C (not C1, C2, or C3). If the DF fails to hold the CF settings and reverts back to defaults, you *should* be able to quickly reset your preferences via the MFDBs saved settings. Still an annoyance until this issue is addressed/resolved.

FYI, my DF firmware is 1.21. My IQ180 is firmware 2.01

ken

G

Gerhard

Same problem here in Old Europe. I reported it to P1 Germany two weeks ago. They gave me the advice to make shure not to turn on the 645DF while booting the IQ180. Seems to work so far.

However: If the back freezes and I have to remove the batteries all the custom settings are resetted.

Very annoying: For the use of the "AF-ON" button you have to change three custom settings. And the default-setting for AF is "Speed" and not "Accuracy".

P1 is working at a FW update: It's not a feature - it's a bug ;-)

Best,
Gerhard

John Black

Guy - I use those same batteries and they have a high shoulder on the positive end, they fit fine except for one slot where Mamiya has an edge on the battery holder along the base. Getting the Ansmann battery in and out of the slot is very difficult. I have the same issue with the V-Grip. The Eneloops slide in and out fine.

BTW - B&H has the batteries for less and with free shipping ($15 for a 4-pack). Other than the fit issue, the batteries work fine. I have not experienced CF losses with my DF, running firmware 1.25 and a P65+.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
According to P1 the problem is IQ-specific.

Gerhard

Okay everyone turn there IQ in back to me, Ill take good care of them.

BTW does anyone know where i put my one way ticket to Brazil. LOL

Lets hope it is a fixable bug and quickly please

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Very odd for me, because it is a very recent development, as in day 2 of my trip to arches/monument valley. first evening, morning, and second evening was fine. Next morning and everything went nuts.

I didn't think it was the Energizer Li-ion's because the camera still shows full charge, but I'll definitely try that. I've never had trouble ... pulling the battery because of lock up, turning camera on first on back on first.

But I did just start trying to use the back to set the functions instead of the body. I'll try the suggestions here and see if I can come up with anything "non random" and useful.

kdphotography

Okay, I'm positive now. My DF lost it's CF19 setting this morning. Last night I was photographing in studio, finished and removed the IQ180 battery to recharge. I usually keep a battery in the back while stored; this time I did not. I left the battery in the charger overnight.

I reinserted the battery into the back this morning; waited and then turned on the DF. Checked CF settings and they had returned to default. Reset CF settings (AF set to accurate) and they again seem to be holding....

A minor annoyance, but I hope a firmware addresses the issue. This isn't something I want to deal with prior to every session. If it is an IQ issue, the firmware is easy to update; if it is a DF body firmware issue, I ain't gonna be so happy....

ken