The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ Firmware 3.0

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
New firmware for the IQ has been released. In the last 24 hours we've been able to test this firmware on five IQ180M backs.

There may be an issue with using this new firmware on some V mount backs. If you own a V back I would hold off for a few days while we check into that (it may be nothing).

From the Release Notes
Firmware version 3.0 offers several significant speed improvements to all IQ series back, plus many features and improvements from previous version 2.0 or 2.01.

Improved performance:
- Significant Improved speed when showing previews, especially when zoomed.
- Improved CF-card writing speed – with a fast CF card it is now practically impossible to shoot faster than the images can be written to card.
- Improved tethered capture speed – images are now transferred faster than ever before

New features:
- Browsing, zooming and panning is now possible in the last 10 images when shooting tethered to the computer
- Custom White Balance 1,2,3 in digital back can now be set in tethered mode
- Zooming and panning in not yet stored images are now possible on the digital back
- Custom background can be uploaded as an image (backgrnd.bmp or backgrnd.tif) on the CF card
- User can now adjust the offset for roll and pitch.

Reliability:
- Camera interface is in general more robust for third party cameras.
- Improved two-shot noise rejection on trigger pulse, when using third party equipment
- Battery lifetime in cold weather is improved significantly
- General stability improvements

Known limitations:
Lexar 400x 256GB CF card is not supported

Download: Phaseone.com

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We will be posting more notes from our testing soon. The ability to pan/zoom the last 10 captures when shooting tethered is really really great.

In general I'm very excited; though I'm always slightly trepidatious about things that end in ".0" until it's been out in the field for a while. I never suggest you update anything in the middle of a job, or right before an important job, unless you have time to extensively test everything after the update (that goes for any manufacturer and most kinds of updates).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
We will be posting more notes from our testing soon. The ability to pan/zoom the last 10 captures when shooting tethered is really really great.

In general I'm very excited; though I'm always slightly trepidatious about things that end in ".0" until it's been out in the field for a while. I never suggest you update anything in the middle of a job, or right before an important job, unless you have time to extensively test everything after the update (that goes for any manufacturer and most kinds of updates).
actually, it seems it is 3.0.19 (the 19th try)
-bob

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry, didn't mean to bury that Tim: No USB3. Good news is they are working on it (i.e. not an abandoned project) and highly confident it will in fact come through and will be great. Bad news is I wouldn't expect it before early summer. Don't kill the messenger :-(.

cunim

Be careful. I followed instructions precisely and loaded V3 for my IQ180. The camera is now dead. Screen backlight goes on but no access to any functions so I can't reload. Even the super secret cold boot doesn't seem to work. We are exploring with Phase as I write this.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Be careful. I followed instructions precisely and loaded V3 for my IQ180. The camera is now dead. Screen backlight goes on but no access to any functions so I can't reload. Even the super secret cold boot doesn't seem to work. We are exploring with Phase as I write this.
Damnit. I hate to hear this stuff. Hope you get it back up.

kdphotography

Hope you get it back up.
I ain't touching that one. (I'm really trying to be good :ROTFL:)

Cunim---have you tried accessing your back by tethering? I think you've scared me and probably about every other IQ owner concerned with updating firmware and potential equipment/performance issues. :eek:

I was able to download the firmware update from the Phase site, but interestingly, the pdf on the firmware update is buggy and locked up my browser. I couldn't print it out... Sitting tight for a bit.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What mount do you have? M, V, C, or H?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Mine installed fine and first time on IQ180. Got my 645DF FW updated at dealer yesterday so I am up to date for the first time EVER!

cunim

I ain't touching that one. (I'm really trying to be good :ROTFL:)

Cunim---have you tried accessing your back by tethering? I think you've scared me and probably about every other IQ owner concerned with updating firmware and potential equipment/performance issues. :eek:

I was able to download the firmware update from the Phase site, but interestingly, the pdf on the firmware update is buggy and locked up my browser. I couldn't print it out... Sitting tight for a bit.

ken
Ken, tethering makes no difference. Although Phase may of the opinion that the back is pining for the fjords, I hold that it is no more, has ceased to be, and bereft of life it rests in peace.

Doug, it's an M.

Peter

cunim

Just heard from my dealer. This is a known failure mode and requires the back be RMA'd. Fortunately, I have the extended warranty with a loaner being shipped.

Second time this back is going in. Updating it recalls the tale of Mr. Fox.

Be bold, be bold, but not too bold,
Lest that your heart's blood should run cold.

Didn't turn out well for the fox.

anGy

Didn't resist to try it on, no problem so far on IQ180.
Zoom on preview is really faster and switch between 2 preview at 100% is immediate. Really great to check sharpness f.i.

A pity for USB 3.0. Phase should communicate on that to reduce frustration.
Thanks Doug for the few infos ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay updated and working pretty damn nice too. Zoom is so much faster and also when zoomed at 100 percent taking the second shot to that spot is so much faster. Nice