The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best camera bag for medim format cameras

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Darr

That all looks so clean and tidy . A great solution . It surely fits into any other backpack system . Thanks for showing .
I use the TAMRAC explorer but am currently not very happy with the its "interior life" , deviders and wraps etc . Its all too cumbersome .
I have sent you a PM .

darr

Darr

That all looks so clean and tidy . A great solution . It surely fits into any other backpack system . Thanks for showing .
I use the TAMRAC explorer but am currently not very happy with the its "interior life" , deviders and wraps etc . Its all too cumbersome .
I have sent you a PM .
Yes, Jürgen I totally understand your frustration with the "interior life" of most backpacks. I am using the TT Ultralight v2.5 shell and adding six 4 GENESIS normal cases for my (3) Alpa lenses, (1) digital back, (1) for my view finders and (1) for my Hasselblad ground glass + viewfinder contraption. :) Everything else either rests on top of the Genesis cases or is stowed in the pockets. I needed the lightest solution that could safely carry all my gear. I am 5'3" and not as strong as most male photographers, but the Ultralight v2.5 packed weighing 19lbs is just fine for me to carry for a few miles.

narikin

The problem I have with all this bag talk is that I (we?) need 2 different types of bags: one for getting there - international travel, airport security, bring everything you might need situation, and then... something to walk around with, looking discreet giving easy access to your camera and perhaps a second lens.

You can't wander the city streets trundling a think pack pro wheelie, or for that matter a large hiking backpack bag is slow and impractical for my purposes. Anything you have to put on the ground and unzip is not right for urban use. It needs to be a shoulder sling type (or hybrid of that) which is obviously smaller and more discreet.

Now if only they made a nesting bag-within-a-bag, so you can fly/travel to location destination, zip it open take the shoulder bag out and leave the rest, your wider lens choices, the laptop, etc. safe in its bigger brother.

darr

The problem I have with all this bag talk is that I (we?) need 2 different types of bags: one for getting there - international travel, airport security, bring everything you might need situation, and then... something to walk around with, looking discreet giving easy access to your camera and perhaps a second lens.

You can't wander the city streets trundling a think pack pro wheelie, or for that matter a large hiking backpack bag is slow and impractical for my purposes. Anything you have to put on the ground and unzip is not right for urban use. It needs to be a shoulder sling type (or hybrid of that) which is obviously smaller and more discreet.

Now if only they made a nesting bag-within-a-bag, so you can fly/travel to location destination, zip it open take the shoulder bag out and leave the rest, your wider lens choices, the laptop, etc. safe in its bigger brother.
When I have traveled with my gear on airplanes, I have put my MF backpack into a pelican roller case, use an additional Ultralight backpack for my Nikon gear and pocket camera, took the pelican on board as well as the additional Ultralight on my back (with wallet, ticket, passport, etc.) and packed a smaller messenger type bag in my suitcase with my tripod that went into baggage. Once at the hotel, I take what I needed from the backpacks and place in messenger bag for walk arounds.

Shashin

That is exactly what I do. And I have two options. Simply take the belt out of the bag and wear an empty pack and work from the belt or use the lumbar pack I use as a "divider" and leave the pack behind.

Frederic

One of Lowepro recent backpacks lets tech cam people carry a ready to shoot system (or a 20x20x20cm cube). In my case it's a Rm3di with RS40 and Aptus II mounted.

flipside sport 15l

TT glass taxi was the obvious option till now, but I much prefer the body-sided access / flipside concept thing on this bag.
Built quality looks ok to me, and the padding is thick enough I don't suffer when hiking with the stuffs for a whole day. However the belt is a joke IMHO, will see if I can fit my TT belt instead.
Also I can't comment on the tripod system yet, not sure I'll try to attach the TVC33 to this...

Will make some pics if someone wants to see what it looks like.
here it is, with the tech cam and the usual bits.
and yes, that awful thing is a custom foam padding :D

Godfrey

Just setting up to do some scanning today and noticed there were new comments on this thread.

The film I'm scanning today was made with both the Hasselblad 500CM and SWC on two different occasions. In both cases, I took the camera, a meter, film and some other bits out for a walk using the Lowepro Passport Sling bag. It has proved to be a comfortable and convenient walkabout bag for this gear, and packs down quite small for travel when I stuff it into my rollaway with whatever other kit I need to carry.

On to scanning. ;-)

G

mmbma

I use a sexy WotanCraft camera bag. The Thor line is big enough for anything including a Leica S2. Although made of very very premium leather, the bag is heavy. So compounded with media format gear it'll be even heavier. but looks bad ***.

They make a canvas version of the bag which is both cheaper and lighter. Both are water proof

Thor | Wotancraft Atelier

I have a Think Tank AirStream Roller Bag. It takes my H4D, a 50-110 lens, 300mm lens, 150mm lens, 1.7x extender, some extra batteries and a few other smaller things.

It's small enough not to attract attention when boarding any plane, but carries the above, which weighs about 15kg.

Excellent bag.

Kabraxis

As promissed some pictures from the "Koenig Photobag". The insert are custom made for virtual no extra charge. Water resist to 1m deep (yes deep) without any additional covers.

Removable supporting frame (without supporting frame it fits exact international air hand luggage)

Holds:
Hasselblad 503 CW + 50 + 120 +180 + PME and sunshade
Xpan + 45mm
Horseman SW-D II Pro + P45+ + 35mm Rodi + 4 Battery
Lee Filter Kit for B60, B70 & Rodi
10x Rolls 120 film
8x Rolls 135 film
lightmeter and a lot of small parts like additional screws, tissues etc ..

After my vacation i will share some experience with this bag. But for now a perfectly satisfied with this one.

Best Regards
Pascal

baudolino

As the original question was about a bag for a Hasselblad 500 for travel, then providing one is prepared to travel light, a Hassy 500/200 with the 80mm lens, lenshood and magazine attached, fits nicely in a Billigham Hadley bag, even the small variety, if memory serves me well. In there, it can be carried on the shoulder without breaking one's back and is immediately ready for action. Any extra lenses can go in a rucksack in Tamrac zipped lens pouches. As for rucksack, I've just ordered a Rivendell Mariposa Deluxe in preparation for my upcoming hiking/rafting/offroading/music festival trip in Bosnia a Serbia. This is how I will carry my S2 outfit, plus any other stuff I'll need for typical day trips. I've given up on photo rucksacks as they usually have too much padding and as a result I can hardly fit anything else in them, beyond the photo stuff.

Geoff

Thumbs up for the Fstop Loka. Its smaller overall than one might think, but holds a good LF camera and lenses. Main features usually discussed are its removable inside "ICU" packs (which you replace for each setup), but a recent 2 wk trip showed other benefits: the alum frame setup and waist strapping is really well thought through, no lower back pain from carrying 20+ lbs. Even got by Ryanair without a problem, has room for slipping in a computer when packing full.

A very secure and well considered pack: when you hang it from the tripod, the bag naturally hangs at a backward tilt, so when opened, nothing falls out. Highly recommended. Thanks to Dave Chew for his help.

The best bag is any bag that is F***ing waterproof!!! I was shooting on Malibu beach two weeks ago with my Hassy H4X, 35-90 and IQ140, backup HD, etc. We had to go through a mini cave as the tide came in and I got sucked into the water and got completely covered. I was almost in tears. I got to the other side and dried off the outside, help my breath and opened the backpack. Luckily, the Swiss Army backpack I had all my gear in was waterproof!!! There was almost no water inside at all. All the gear was completely dry. I put a inch think foam pad in the bottom for protection and there was a tiny bit of water under that. I can't believe I never thought to have it in a waterproof bag. I just got really lucky that the bag I had was. I do have it fully insured, but who wants to make that call... Anyway, I hope this helps someone else avoid disaster! I have to give a big shout out to Dan Stone for helping me out with the shoot and getting the backpack to safety! If you're looking for an assistant in LA, he's your guy!

Here's a pic from the shoot.

Hi,
It's this one. I should say that it's probably not technically "water proof." But definitely saved me and it's an all around great backpack.

Ken_R

I got the Lowepro Flipside Sport 20L and it is awesome. (I use it for my Arca Rm3Di/IQ160/40mm HR-W rig all set up and the 70mm HR-W lens + filter pouches and other small accessories). It is a far departure from the heavy and cumbersome Lowepro photo backpacks. This pack is light but protects the gear perfectly and carries comfortably even in hot weather. The interior padding pulls out and becomes a quasi tote bag that can be itself used inside another backpack or hung from a tripod hook to work off of it.

jarane

Thinktank Airport National holds plenty, and it's very easily configured for any format camera.
E.C.

Rollei6008i

As promissed some pictures from the "Koenig Photobag". The insert are custom made for virtual no extra charge. Water resist to 1m deep (yes deep) without any additional covers.

Removable supporting frame (without supporting frame it fits exact international air hand luggage)

Holds:
Hasselblad 503 CW + 50 + 120 +180 + PME and sunshade
Xpan + 45mm
Horseman SW-D II Pro + P45+ + 35mm Rodi + 4 Battery
Lee Filter Kit for B60, B70 & Rodi
10x Rolls 120 film
8x Rolls 135 film
lightmeter and a lot of small parts like additional screws, tissues etc ..

After my vacation i will share some experience with this bag. But for now a perfectly satisfied with this one.

Best Regards
Pascal
This bag really good , the design very practical , but unluckily, its website is german in language( I do not know german) & no buying method, I live in Hong Kong but no one knows this brand, my first time of recognised this brand is in a rolleiflex website . Where can buy one ??