The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best camera bag for medim format cameras

kdphotography

Ok, being true to my natural self, it didn't take long for me to break down and place my order for an F-stop Loka pack, and two small Pro ICUs for my technical camera gear. The two small ICU inserts are the same as one large Pro ICU, but with two units, it gives the flexibility to pack more or less as needed, butwithout filling up the entire Loka as one large Pro ICU does.

I ordered the Loka this morning and will have my pack a mere few days. :)

I'll keep the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L for my short quick excursions (I think the newly released 20L is probably a better size!) but am looking forward to the F-stop Loka as a much better pack overall.

I'll try and post photos and a comparison of both bags packed later. I've got a small photo excursion coming up and this is good timing for the new F-stop Loka to arrive just in time!

ken

tcdeveau

Here's my current bag setup. I've been using a Gura Gear Bataflae 26L. Not the most comfortable for long hikes, but fits in airline overhead (and under seat if needed) just fine. I'm happy with it. In the picture I've got my H4D-40 + RRS L-plate, 35-90, D800e + grip + L-plate, 24-70, Kinesis bag for filters, batteries, charger, other filters, lens hoods, cleaning stuff, memory card pouch, etc etc etc. Even though it does not have a laptop pouch, I was able to put a 15" MBPr in an incase sleeve in there with charger as well. Whole setup weighs 32lbs (according to luggage scale at check in).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ok, being true to my natural self, it didn't take long for me to break down and place my order for an F-stop Loka pack, and two small Pro ICUs for my technical camera gear. The two small ICU inserts are the same as one large Pro ICU, but with two units, it gives the flexibility to pack more or less as needed, butwithout filling up the entire Loka as one large Pro ICU does.

I ordered the Loka this morning and will have my pack a mere few days. :)
As with the CUBE, resistance is futile and you'll eventually see the light and end up with an F-Stop bag. :chug:

My Tilopa is simply the best bag that I've ever owned bar none. The fact that you really can't over pack them to prevent stowage in even a US commuter jet overhead bin is precious. (Although ironically the feeble overheads in a United 747 upstairs in intl business-first class are too small - go figure, worse than a domestic hopper! :mad: regular cabin downstairs in coach & business can probably hold FOUR!)

It will take a lot of weight comfortably though especially with always using the lumber belt. Not a lot, A LOT!

One thing I'd recommend is removing the unnecessary foam pad on the ICU zip covers. Once in the bag you'll never zip them either and the back pad of the bag is more than sufficient.

Rollei6008i

As promissed some pictures from the "Koenig Photobag". The insert are custom made for virtual no extra charge. Water resist to 1m deep (yes deep) without any additional covers.

Removable supporting frame (without supporting frame it fits exact international air hand luggage)

Holds:
Hasselblad 503 CW + 50 + 120 +180 + PME and sunshade
Xpan + 45mm
Horseman SW-D II Pro + P45+ + 35mm Rodi + 4 Battery
Lee Filter Kit for B60, B70 & Rodi
10x Rolls 120 film
8x Rolls 135 film
lightmeter and a lot of small parts like additional screws, tissues etc ..

After my vacation i will share some experience with this bag. But for now a perfectly satisfied with this one.

Best Regards
Pascal
Hi , I contacted Koenig Photobag via their website email as well as via separate email via Yahoo but without reply ; Are they do not accept internet order ? Are you just buy your bag at your local camera shop??

Ken_R

I am loving the LowePro Flipside Sport 20L.

My Arca Rm3Di fits perfectly with lens and back mounted + I can fit extra lens, batteries, filters and adapters no prob + extra stuff.

I recently travelled with it and it fit perfectly under the seat of a commuter airplane, a Saab 340. This plane has almost no overhead bin space. My bag fit perfectly under the seat WITH the Gitzo traveller tripod attached to the side of the bag!

see photos:

kdphotography

I think your 20L Lowepro Flipside Sport is the better size---it wasn't available when I got my 15L---which still works out pretty well for my Cambo, but having just a smidge more room like the 20L would be perfect. The F-stop Loka is definitely the best camera backpack I've ever seen/used. Both bags cover all usage needs pretty well! Both have reservoirs for a water bladder. The F-stop Loka has more room for clothing, gear, etc. Two small pro ICU inserts allow me to pull one unit if I want more pack space.

Last edited:

Frederic

I am loving the LowePro Flipside Sport 20L.

My Arca Rm3Di fits perfectly with lens and back mounted + I can fit extra lens, batteries, filters and adapters no prob + extra stuff.
Ken, could you please show us how you manage to fit the rm3d with back and lens mounted ?
I have the 15L and according to the specs it's 2inch/5cm deeper than the 20L, which I find surprising.
Thanks.

Ken_R

Ken, could you please show us how you manage to fit the rm3d with back and lens mounted ?
I have the 15L and according to the specs it's 2inch/5cm deeper than the 20L, which I find surprising.
Thanks.
Yea, I can take and post an image tonight. IIRC the 15L is as deep as the 20L, not on specs but in reality. I had doubts so I ordered both the 15L and the 20L.

Kabraxis

Hi , I contacted Koenig Photobag via their website email as well as via separate email via Yahoo but without reply ; Are they do not accept internet order ? Are you just buy your bag at your local camera shop??
You can of course order via Internet. But they are only a few people, maybe they are on vacation. I placed my order with telephone/internet. You may take your phone and ask, it is the best way to get fast response. Don´t worry Mr. König is a very nice Guy. It always was a pleasure to work the inlay out.

Best Regards
Pascal

Rollei6008i

You can of course order via Internet. But they are only a few people, maybe they are on vacation. I placed my order with telephone/internet. You may take your phone and ask, it is the best way to get fast response. Don´t worry Mr. König is a very nice Guy. It always was a pleasure to work the inlay out.

Best Regards
Pascal
Ok, I'll contact him again .

danlindberg

Slow day and I thought I give an unused Pelicase 1520 some attention. Going to try this layout tomorrow!

It weighs 9kg so it is not that light...but it is a great feeling that it is totally dustproof since I go on dry mountainroads.

rga

Slow day and I thought I give an unused Pelicase 1520 some attention. Going to try this layout tomorrow!

It weighs 9kg so it is not that light...but it is a great feeling that it is totally dustproof since I go on dry mountainroads.

Dan I bought 2 x Pelican 1560's over the holidays (Amazon sale). One I use for putting my ThinkTank Streetwalker Hard Drive into. This holds my MF kit-Max, 80/50/32/150/extension tubes/batteries/cable/laptop/MFDB/knicknacks. When going on car trips I move the empty Pelican into the car and lock it closed with a bike locking cable attached, the other end of the bike cable is locked to the cargo rings attached to the trunk of the car/suv (I've also used the child car seat attachment). Keeps dust out AND allows me to put it on my back for shorter walks (without the Pelican-pack only of course).

At home the Pelican is locked with the bike cable looped around a piece of furniture. I do the same thing for my L kit plus there is room for other stuff with this kit (filters, belts, night photo stuff).

I bought these primarily to reduce the likely hood of theft, but they keep dust out too. One thing to remember is to pop the top open when the equipment is just lying around between outings, or to get a large packet of silicon to absorb moisture. Pelicans are not only dust proof, they are air tight...

Bob

danlindberg

Bob, nice idea to be able to lock the whole case in the car, but I think I would still be nervous about leaving my kit in the car. Not that I've been unlucky or that it is particular dangerous where I live, but I never leave it out of sight.

rga

Bob, nice idea to be able to lock the whole case in the car, but I think I would still be nervous about leaving my kit in the car. Not that I've been unlucky or that it is particular dangerous where I live, but I never leave it out of sight.
Completely understand. I just have two kits, so must usually leave one in the car. And both come inside with me at night if I'm staying somewhere.

I also have a cover I pull over everything as well as blankets to cover stuff. At any rate if someone breaks in, they aren't going to have an easy time of it as the car alarm blasts! Insurance has just become too expensive these days so any risk reduction procedures help.

Your procedure of never leaving it unattended is the best!

MILESF

+1 for the F-Stop range.

I tend to hand carry my XL Pro ICU onto the plane and put the actual bag in a duffle and check it into the hold. Occasionally I might have to pay a small amount for a second checked bag but better that than the risk of having to put the whole thing into the hold. It also doesn't attract attention at check-in or the hostile stares that a big rucksack can attract from fellow passenegrs.

I do wish they would sort out their supply chain and/or UK distribution. For my last purchase in December I had to buy from Germany and as far as I know that product is still not available from the UK dealer whose main business is outdoor clothing.

I also use the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L into which I can fit a Phase back, XF, 35mm LS, 80mmLS, 150mmPhase, 240mmLS and 2x Teleconverter when travelling with my wife on 'non-photgraphy' trips.

M

mjr

Morning

I also use F-stop, a Loka UL with 2 small pro ICU's stacked inside, it works really nicely.

I had a very poor experience with Gura Gear, I had a Bataflae and the zips wore out on the bottom corners quite quickly making the zips stick, the radius just seemed too tight. I offered to send it back to them to check it out but they said no, they would just replace it because it wasn't very old, then they just didn't bother! I emailed after a month and was told they would sort it, then after another month they just didn't reply. It's only my experience but that's not what I expect at all, had the F-stop around a year now and it is still in perfect condition. I travel quite a lot but tend to use the Ando 18 for plane journeys, can get loads inside plus a laptop and it is much less conspicuous.

Bags seem to be as much of an addiction as camera gear!

Mat

torger

I use f-stop too. I need to carry my gear for hiking, and the problem with most camera backpacks in my experience is that the ergonomics is poor for carrying when you're at 10+ kgs. Here in Sweden/Norway we have a very strong hiking tradition with a number of local brands making backpacks especially for hiking in various conditions (not for carrying cameras though) and those backpacks are just so much better to carry.

F-stop is the one that has come closest to a decent carrying system, and I like the ICU concept. I have the complete gear in one X-tra large F-stop ICU. I had to custom-make the separators as my view camera gear did not match the bundled separators which of course are designed for 135 gear. When I go for longer hikes so I need full camping gear in addition to the camera gear I don't use the F-stop backpack but instead put the ICU in a big military backpack designed for carrying lots of gear.

Pelorus

When I got my MF camera I searched around for an alternative to my Brady bag which I'd previously used for 35mm.

The outcome was two Ortlieb bags. The Dayshot

Which is a great backpack with the option of using it from a single strap. Also the Softshot, which is very useful for carry on and as a day bag:

Neither is perfect - they don't hold a laptop for instance, but both are waterproof to 1 metre for 30 minutes. Very comforting when you and your bag are copping waves and spray :cool:

Last edited:

danlindberg

A minimalistic backpack setup when I am ok to sacrifice movements. I always try to set it up so that I can store the camera with whatever lens is mounted. To me this is important. As you see it here it only weighs 5.0 kg.