The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody ever gone back to 35mm after MFD?

vieri

I am seriously thinking about it, already was and the D800 helped very much in this direction. If I keep MF, will be with a DB (IQ160, not the 80 Mp backs) and a tech cam with two lenses, everything else will be 35 mm. Which 35mm: Nikon for DSLR with D3, D3x, D800 once available, a lot of lenses (24, 35, 50, 85 f1.4; 135 f2; 14-24, 70-200 zooms with TCs); for street, Nex 7 with a bolted on Noctilux, Fuji X-Pro 1 with the 3 lenses available (will have the Fuji in my hands next week). I am much happier this way than before with running 4-5 different systems: now I enjoy more consistency between files, better overall system performance and IQ on par or acceptably slightly lower than DMF on my paid work, while for the street stuff I can take the time of playing with the Nex & Fuji files to my leasure - if the Fuji will not fit the bill, I will be waiting for the next M getting a second Nex in the meantime.

djonesii

Workshop Member
IMHO it's horses for courses. There is no single "do it all" camera. I break it down as follows:

5) Best balance of good Image Quality, low cost and convenient to use: any good M4/3rds kit. (For me, I no longer have one because of owning all of the other options.)
I'm oh so close to selling it all off and Kwai Chang Caining around with only the G3 + a few lenses!

Dave

johnnygoesdigital

FredBGG-

Your opinion is right on the money, imo. Your images and model casting are perfect too!
Planned obsolescence is marketing hype, as your images have proven what you can do with smaller MP's. Interestingly, the look of smaller MP's cameras is making its way back into high fashion/portrait shoots. It seems there's a certain character to those cameras that many high-end clients seem to prefer! If your shooting with a clients specific requirement, than you choose the right camera; whatever that might be. From tabletop to fashion, there's a format that shines for each, but yes, MFD, is over-rated, mostly due to price.

Last edited:

dick

IMHO it's horses for courses. There is no single "do it all" camera. I break it down as follows:

1) For ultimate image quality: the best tech lenses in front of a current generation digital MF back. (For me this is an Arca RM3D, Schneider and Rodenstock Digital HR lenses and a Phase IQ180 back.)

2) For ultimate speed and convenience: the best DSLR with the best contemporary lenses you can put in front of it. (For me, this is currently a Nikon D800 and a few Nikon lenses.)

3) For moderate speed/convenience with exceptional image quality: MF body with best glass and current gen MF digital back. (For me, this is a Phase DF body and Schneider LS glass and the IQ180 back.)

4) For just simple and convenient snapshots: Any of the decent P&S cams. (For me this is a small Olympus or Panasonic, but both are quickly being obsoleted by my iPhone 4S.)

5) Best balance of good Image Quality, low cost and convenient to use: any good M4/3rds kit. (For me, I no longer have one because of owning all of the other options.)

Of the above, the last one to go for me would likely be #4. Hands down though, the second last one to go would be #1 and it would not go without a fight.
I am assessing my GH2, which, @ f1.7 or f1.8 has as much DoF as my H4D-60 @ f11 (same angle of view)... so I use the GH2 with room light and window light for quick snaps for the internet (and pub/restaurant family shots and during wedding ceremonies), and the H4D and studio flash for quality indoor work.

Don Libby

Philipp,

As far as I'm concerned you've asked 2-simple questions. Has anyone returned to 35mm and has anyone regretted going MFD. My response is based on that concept.

My answer is yes, kind of, sort of.

I had been using MFD for a couple years (coming from Canon 1Ds) first using the Mamiya 645 then a Phase 645 before going to a tech cam (Cambo WRS) fulltime. I sold all my Phase/Mamiya equipment within 4-months of switching to the Cambo fulltime. After using the Cambo for close to 2 years I thought I needed a lighter weight "walk around" system and added a Leica M9. Please with is combination, I used both for close to 2-years before being dissatisfied with the printing limitation I had with the 35mm. During this same time period I upgraded my back from a P45+ to a P65+ and was very pleased.

Five months ago I rid myself of the Leica and added a Phase DF with a couple lenses for my walk around camera. Coming full circle back to the Phase/Mamiya while keeping the Cambo.

I have had no regrets whatsoever in making the move to a tech camera and the Cambo WRS. I also feel it was a learning experience (for me at least) in using the Leica M9 before returning to the Phase/Mamiya.

Having just reread that last part I'd have to say that I might have some small amount of regret having sold the Phase/Mamiya gear in the first place however the Leica did make me money.

And making money is what it's all about. You need to use the gear you feel the most comfortable with that will get you what you need to achieve. I'm shooting MFD fulltime while my wife still shoots with her 1DsIII - it works for us.

Don

dhazeghi

I am assessing my GH2, which, @ f1.7 or f1.8 has as much DoF as my H4D-60 @ f11 (same angle of view)
Interesting. Based on sensor size, I thought that the gap was 2 stops between the GH2 and 35mm (2x diagonal) and another 1.2 stops from the 35mm to the H4D (1.53x diagonal), which would put it around f/5.6. But apparently that's not the case?

DH