The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The DF and MLU

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

When shooting tethered with the DF in MLU mode, clicking on 'capture' in C1 lifts the mirror and 5 seconds later fires the shutter. I can't seem to find any way to shorten this amount of time, has anyone any suggestions? Added to that is there any way to flip the mirror up and keep it up till further notice?

The camera is on a repro stand where the difference between MLU and no MLU is very noticeable at the slow speeds we are using (LED lights not flash). The pages in the books are held flat with a plastic finger or a curved acrylic plate. Having to do this from the time of the mirror flipping up to the shutter firing (5 seconds plus exposure time) is very tiring.

Worse than that we have a laser positioning system (red dots on the page) which automatically switches off when the camera is fired, but only for 6 seconds. With a slow shutter speed and the tethered MLU delay, that means it reactivates during the exposure. The laser system is hardwired for the time delay so we can't change it. Having the mirror locked up during the shooting session like I used to be able to do with my old manual Mamiya's would be the perfect solution but I can't see anywhere in the manual that it's possible.

Any help much appreciated!

ondebanks

Sounds like you need an AFD, not a DF. The original AFD has a real mechanical lever for MLU - just like your old manual Mamiyas! It's one of a few reasons why I stay with the AFD.

Ray

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ried shortening the self timer delay.
top of cam, timer button, front dial for on and off, rear dial for time.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Rear dial ...

Ben just needs to press the timer button and turn the front dial to turn OFF the timer function. If you want to use it, leave it on and set the rear dial to set the duration. By default it is 10 seconds. I actually use it with MUP and set it to 5 seconds for use with my 300 APO. Works very well and, shock horror :eek:, hasn't locked up for quite a while! (with my P25+ at least).

Ben Rubinstein

Been a while. Tried your suggestion. Works perfectly except that it crashes C1 every 2nd photo and needs you to hit the shutter release manually to get the tethering to work again. I opened a support case on the P1 site, they confirmed the problem, problem with the Leaf SDK apparently, it's been passed onto the software people.