The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase/Schneider LS lenses in FS mode

gazwas

When you set the custom functions C-17 and C-18 on the DF to focal plane shutter only, does this make the leaf shutter in the LS lenses totally inactive?

The camera shutter seems to respond quicker and makes a different noise suggesting the leaf shutter is not firing but was unsure if it fully deactivates that function in the lens. I'm just thinking of setting a user custom function set that is FS only so if using a LS lens and don't need the high flash sync the theory is it saves battery power.

Any thoughts?

gazwas

Thanks Yair, just the info I needed.

Not sure if it was the batteries I was using (not a fresh set) but when I used the LS lens for the first time the battery meter on the DF went down quite quickly.

Or it could be I might have to invest in better batteries rather than the cheapo Kodak ones from Argos. :eek:

yaya

Or it could be I might have to invest in better batteries rather than the cheapo Kodak ones from Argos. :eek:
Over the years I've used pretty much every type/ make of batteries with the 645, even the "Kodak" and the "Sony" ones that are sold as a 12-pack at Poundland (they're rubbish...), same goes for Maplin's own batteries

Of all the cheap ones I found the B&Q badged batteries quite good value:thumbup:

gazwas

So apart from that new and rather expensive rechargable option, what is the best sort of batteries to use in the DF?

Duracell Alkalies, Uniross Hybrio?

yaya

I'd say Duracell and Energiser are always a safe bet. Then you've got Panasonic, Sony etc. that are also good

kdphotography

So apart from that new and rather expensive rechargable option, what is the best sort of batteries to use in the DF?

Duracell Alkalies, Uniross Hybrio?
Gareth,

Going all the way back to the original Mamiya AF, the AF/AFD line never had the best battery power management. When the lcd screen showed a 1/2 battery, you had enough juice to finish your roll of film and that was about it. Between 10 and 40 rolls was about the norm as I recall.

Power management improved dramtically with each generation of AFD camera body, but the slight drain seemed to continue until the DF, which has very good power management. In my experience, the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs are the absolute best AA batteries to use in the AF/AFD/DF camera body. For some reason, they were able to even withstand the slight drain effect common on earlier bodies. "Normal" heavy duty batteries like duracell or energizer don't even compare. The additional benefit is that the Energizer AA Lithiums are much lighter.

I still feel that the camera body battery meter is not the most accurate, and by the time it signals lower battery power reserves, it's really too late. My sense is that power fluctuations (why I don't use AA rechargeables here) may be the cause behind some of the glitches of late. On the positive side, the Lithium AAs last a very very long time, and it is easy to keep a spare battery carriage handy.

I'm making the jump to the new rechargeable Li-ion battery insert which I feel may be the best alternative (albeit expensive) for the DF body.

ken

Don Libby

I've always used the Energizer Ultimate Lithium's in the Mamiya/Phase years ago and went directly back to them after I got the DF. Never had a problem with a camera. The only problem I encountered is the cost of the things and being able to find them. Normally I'd stock up when ever I found them on sale yet even on sale they are expensive.

I don't trust the battery gauge on any camera just like I really don't trust the fuel gauge on my truck; if you do you're just asking for trouble. That said I'd always carried several packs of AA's with me when I went into the field. I didn't want to open the packs so kept them in their little plastic containers. I thought of picking up a spare batter pack but felt having the batteries in place was just looking for trouble.

This past February we were in Jackson WY doing a shoot for the local Elk's Club. Outside in freezing weather for several hours. I had several spare batteries for the P65 tucked in an inside pocket (and used most of them). I changed the AA's out because I could remember when I last did it and carried more. Sandy on the other hand took her spare battery for the 1DsIII. That's what made me decide to switch to the new Li-ion battery Capture Integration is selling. While I'd still need spare batteries for the P65 and DF I would have to fumble with taking out the AA's and replacing them with numb fingers.

I picked up the new batteries having decided early on to go with the 2-battery charger kit. The fit is great and while the initial cost is there each battery is listed as saving 9,000 AA's. That 1,500 battery changes which in the end would cost me way more than what I paid CI. Plus the overall convenience is well worth the cost.

9,000/6= 1500 changes. 1500/4 (to a pack) = 375 4-packs at $8.00 (average cost) = $3,000. That's just 1-battery. The EJJI 10k batteries are a heck of a lot less.

Just my 2¢ worth...

Don

FredBGG

Not Available
9,000/6= 1500 changes. 1500/4 (to a pack) = 375 4-packs at $8.00 (average cost) = $3,000. That's just 1-battery. The EJJI 10k batteries are a heck of a lot less.

Just my 2¢ worth...

Don
The numbers given for the EJJI batteries is with autofocus off.
Autofucus on the DF is very power hungry. Expect much lower numbers.

I would also expect problems with the DF once the rechargeable packs start to be a bit older. The DF gets flaky when the batteries (what ever type) are not closer to 100% battery on the gauge.

Don Libby

I can only speak from my experience in using the new batteries and been using the same one since I inserted into the body. I've been using it in a combination of auto and manual focus and have yet to see any problems. Going on several weeks now with any flakes.

kdphotography

My personal experience over the past few years with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs and the Phase AF and DF bodies has with autofocus on been 99% of the time, and the batteries last for months.

I think that the "stress test" that Capture Integration did on the new Li ion battery insert show that the new battery is quite capable and I would expect that it exceed the capacity of the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs in use. I look forward to sharing my personal experiences with the new Li ion insert when it arrives next week! I don't exect the the Li ion battery insert to last forever; the capability is respectable and the convenience is the attraction.

gazwas

I picked up the new batteries having decided early on to go with the 2-battery charger kit. The fit is great and while the initial cost is there each battery is listed as saving 9,000 AA's. That 1,500 battery changes which in the end would cost me way more than what I paid CI. Plus the overall convenience is well worth the cost.

Just my 2¢ worth...

Don
Thanks Don, I'd never really thought of the long term cost of the EJJI's and it does sound cheaper that way.

My only worry is its tied to the current camera form factor and if Phase eventually changes this in the new camera I'll have to have gone through a lot batteries/charge cycles to make it pay for itself.

Don Libby

My only worry is its tied to the current camera form factor and if Phase eventually changes this in the new camera I'll have to have gone through a lot batteries/charge cycles to make it pay for itself.
Oh CRAP!

I never thought of that. Who knows, maybe it'll be the same. Or maybe they're have some sort of way we can use the batteries from the back. In that case I'll sell the DF and batteries as a set.

Don