The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One on an RZ67 Pro II

segraves

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and have enjoyed what I've read so far. As most of you have experienced, when I switched over to digital years ago the film cameras went up on the shelf to collect dust. Although my Canon EOS 1DS systems are perfect for the majority of my work, I am looking to put an MF back on my RZ67 Pro II bodies. I have so much invested in the RZ system that investing in another system is cost prohibitive. I'm specifically looking into the Phase One P45. I know all about needing the Phase One adapter plate. My questions are more specific.
1. Are there any focusing issues having the adapter plate between the body and the digital back? Or is the sensor matched with the film plane exactly?
2. The P45 is almost 1:1 lens mag. Considering the RZ is 6x7, how will lenses be affected since the MF backs are generally 645.
3. To shoot vertically with the P45, does the back have to be removed manually from the plate and rotated to shoot vertical? Or, is the plate and back removed as one unit and rotated? I assume the rotating feature of the RZ is null and void. I can imagine dust on the sensor might be a big problem.
4. I normally shoot tethered to C1Pro, ver 5. Any issues with capturing from computer? Is the camera recognized in C1? Do all the tools and features work as normal in C1 with this body/digi back configuration?
I loved my RZ67 when I used to shoot film and long for the day to be able to shoot it again. I did have a Leaf Volare back on the RZ for quite a while, but that back has become quite the doorstop. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has had the experience of putting a digi back on these cameras.
Much appreciated.
Gary Segraves

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Gary,
The Phase One and Mamiya adapters are very accurate. You should have no focusing issues when using them.

There is a 1.5x multiplication factor when using the P45+ on an RZ67.

To shoot vertically on the RZ Pro II w/ the Phase One RZ adapter (V mount back) you will manually have to remove the back and rotate it. If you are using the RZ Pro IID adapter ,the adapter rotates without removing the back (you must use a M mount).

There is a way that you can have your RZ Pro II modified to accept the RZ Pro IID adapter and you would just use a sync cable between the lens and the back. I know a few people that have done this so that they can also use the back on a 645DF/AF system as well.

With the RZ Pro IID adapter you will not be able to fire from the computer. The RZ Pro II adapter w/ V back you will be able to fire from the computer.
If you need any additional information please feel free to pm or email .

Thanks

Lance (email me)

phero66

Hi Gary,

I have a Mamiya DM33 back (exact back/sensor as the Aptus II 7, just rebranded). It has the same crop factor as the P45 and I have used it for this past year exclusively on both RZ67II and RZ67IID bodies. My adapter is the Mamiya made RZ67IID one, which rotates without taking the back off the camera. As Lance said you will need to modify your non "D" body to get all functions to work. MAC group does this, but I think the cost is like half the price of a used RZ67IID body. But, you can use your RB lenses (if any) with snyc cable. Your RZ lenses would work but only fire in the mode that forces your lenses to fire at max sync speed, and you need a sync cable from lens to back.

I don't own either body but rent them when needed using the RZ/RB lenses I've got collected here. My personal preference has been the newer body, it just works and has less issues it seems.

I bought my back from Capture Integration last year and is in the same minty condition, with less then 900 shots on it and the newest fancy graphic interface from leaf. I've actually been toying with selling it since most of my work has not needed it. If you are up near San Francisco and want to check out let me know. Happy to answer questions if I can.

Thanks,

-John

segraves

Thanks Lance and John for the useful information. I'll very likely stick with the old tried and true RZ67 bodies (non-D) with the Phase One to V back adapter and find a P45 V back. I need to fire from the computer as much of the time my cameras are 11ft in the air making it difficult if not impossible to fire from the camera, especially for a stylist that needs to fire the camera. Don't need them climbing my ladder. I've also read that by modifying the RZ to fit the "D" adapter you can no longer put a film back on it. Though I haven't put a film back on it in years anyhow, but film is sure to make a come back. This digital thing is just a passing fad! ;-D

John, thanks for the offer to check out your DM33 back. I'm looking for a P45 back for both the file size and resolution as well as it's ability to handle moire'.

Thanks again.

Gary Segraves

phero66

Sounds like your heart is set with the P45, I'm sure it will be a fine match!

I'm not terribly familiar with the V setup, but I'm pretty sure you can remote fire from C1 with the Mamiya/Leaf Aptus backs as well - though I don't have a motor winder so I've never bothered. Besides I need to do mirror lockup for artwork so my hands are already at the camera. When I was going through my purchasing Yair or Capture Integration mentioned it as a possibility. I have not had any Moire, but if I did it would be the same method in C1 as with the P45. Now the resolution part, the P45 does have a smidgen more :grin:, but then again the DM33 has the newer sensor.

Cheers,

-John