The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format food shoot

Terry

Forum rules really do state that simply linking to a blog is not acceptable. The link can be in your signature and you can refer to it when having an actual discussion about something photographic. The threads here are not meant to just redirect people to your blog.

In this case, posting a shot and starting a discussion on macro or food shooting with the S2 with a reference that there are more shots on your blog would have probably been OK. This post as written is not OK. Not deleting it for the moment so others can also be reacquainted with the forum rules.

Last edited:

SergeiR

Umm... Sorry, but it needs way better lighting and some serious processing.
There is more to food shooting than just pointing MF camera into it. Got to do colours, got to do styling and stuff. Then and only then it looks appetizing.

dick

There is more to food shooting than just pointing MF camera into it. Got to do colours, got to do styling and stuff. Then and only then it looks appetizing.
Yes... very often people willing to share their knowledge...

The sub-MF camera would have better DoF, but food normally requires a proper view camera? ...and/or robotic photo-stacking?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Aboud,

After receiving a few complaints, I have taken the liberty of linking your images over to THIS thread so they can be discussed as appropriate... Here are Aboud's food images folks, thanks to all who notified me:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now as for a critique, which is what I think you were looking for, IMHO Sergei nailed it:

I will add that especially for the lead image, at least to my eyes, it doesn't even appear properly focused, or maybe stopped down too far generating pretty severe diffraction -- ???

SergeiR

Yes... very often people willing to share their knowledge...

The sub-MF camera would have better DoF, but food normally requires a proper view camera? ...and/or robotic photo-stacking?
Well thing is - it doesnt have to be tack sharp all over the image. For stuff like menus..
No real need to do robotic stacking, but one can always do manual focus shift and use multiple layers in PS or use programs to that expand focus field (there are some that do stacking for you).

However most important part about shooting food is to light it right (plenty of soft llight, watch reflections & etc) , and fake colours as much as possible. Its all about making stuff appealing to the eye, not about making true rendition.. Saturation pulls, local colour shifts & etc.. There are plenty of blog entries all over internet on food shooting, even sites devoted to it ( i had link ages ago, cant find it right now).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
+ a million to those who mention lighting. With digital technology, lighting can be "faked" to a certain degree. What can't be faked is the angle. Bird's eye view doesn't work well for food, unless you're a bird. When you sit at a table, you see the food at a relatively low angle. That angle, or even lower, works better. Forget about reality. You want to make people hungry.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line it's all about light when it come to Photography period. It's the number 1 element and I'll argue that point till the cows come home to lay eggs. Without light there is no photography. What kills me is people don't want to learn it.

K

kipdawkins

As someone who has shot food for over 20 years I would say there is way too much focus.
The colors are unsaturated and bland. Make the food the hero of the image. The light is too flat so the food has little or no texture.