The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how would YOU crop and fix?

gogopix

Subscriber
every once in a while I notice an image I really like that captures a scene, and a story, but needs 'help'
Here's one from a visit to Conques in France.
The strong shadows
the OOF foliage on left
the glare
and of course, half a dog! :)

But I like the mix of locals and tourists and there is something about this that really captures the feel of this abbey town (St Foy)

Where would you crop?
would you lift the shadows?

have fun

BTW P45+ Alpa and Schneider K 35mm Digitar

Victor

If anyone is really interested, I will post the raw (or at least the C1 16 bit tiff) in YOUSENDIT all 250 MB!

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
just as a sample, her was one that focused on the tourists and locals in the 'Creperie"

Victor

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Victor,

I think I am seeing what you see in the top image, but maybe not. Anyway, my .02 is that the main composition element is the curve in the street -- and especially the gutter -- paralleling the curve of the buildings on the left. Unfortunately the multiple groups of tourists in the foreground to the right obscure and distract from the main curve of the street, and the strolling couple is perhaps too dominant and detracts from the buildings? (Maybe too many elements and you can clone out all the people?)

As you cropped in the second image, I think the couple makes a nice focus, but to me it lacks something without the curve of the street or building -- ?

Finally, due to the very high contrast of the light and rather dull, muted colors, I think the images might be stronger in B&W.

All my .02 only,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a really quick and crappy rework to illustrate my above concept:

gogopix

Subscriber
Jack
Intersting fix.
How did to get rid of the two figures? mask or the clone stamp?
It is a different feel in B&W, but I like it. As I look back I probably did more B&W than color over the years. Here is gives a nostalgic feel.
regards
Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Victor:

that was a quick (and dirty) job with the clone stamp!

Cheers,

David Klepacki

Victor, the image is too high contrast. Besides playing with BW conversion, you might want to get the viewer's attention by disorienting a bit.

Last edited:

jerryreed

The gentleman, walking head, down is disconnected from his female companion. Should you chose to ALSO clone out his companion, (and the head over his shoulder) the isolation of the singular figure in the openness of the square would communicate more strongly his disconnection from the spirit of those couples sharing enjoyment in the cafe and the texture sights and smells surrounding him.

What do you think?

Jerry

gogopix

Subscriber
scary what can be done in PS!

But interesting ideas.

The reason I grabbed this shot was the contrasts of four groups (I look for narrative in images, not necessarily just the beauty or visual impact)
The four groups are-left to right; locals at a cafe, 'bored?' tired couple, annimated locals, and finally a group engaged in the typanum, the pride and joy of Conques! (see below)

here, in the midst of a wonderful day and one of the Michelin '3 star' worth a detour places, and a big difference in reaction.

I cropped to the two couples, contrast of what being together means.

As I said, my interest is in the narrative of life that an image captures

What is amazing is the variety of interpretations in a modest grab.

The inclided image may not work perfectly here, but it does bear thinking about-it can change the balance and focus of the image.

Thx for responses.

Victor

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
This is the preferred scene from the dog's point of view!
Cheers, Gandolfi.

Last edited: