The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 180 pros and cons (vs. IQ160)

Anders_HK

I am currently considering the upgrade from a P45+ to an IQ 160 or 180. My use is primarily landscape and fine art, for gallery printing 40 - 60"w. I'm mostly using a Cambo WDS for wides, and an AFD3 when using longer lenses (the Mamiya mf 150 3.5N and the 120 macro are favorites).

I've read quite a few threads here and on LL discussing some of the difficulties and issues with using the IQ 180, but I've seen no discussion of similar issues with the 160.

Can anyone (especially if you've used both the backs) comment on the usability of the 180 vs the 160? With all I've read, I find myself wondering if the 180 is worth all the trouble, and if the difference in image quality (detail resolution, tonal and color gradation, dynamic range, etc.) is that significant in large prints.

I use two SK wides, the 35XL and the 47XL. The lens most often cited when talking about problems with the IQ180 is the 35XL. While I prefer the T/S mount 47, especially when stitching, I do like the 35, and would want to be able to use rises and falls to some degree with that lens. I consider the Rodies just to large and heavy for my purposes.

Please, give me your feedback if you have thoughts on this.
Thanks
I upgraded from 28MP Leaf Aptus 65 last year and looked at both the 56MP Leaf and files from P65+ and IQ 180, plus the 80MP Leaf. Pixels aside, per my own impression the 56MP Leaf would have been a mere incremental upgrade while there was a significant step up in image quality for me to go with the 80MP Leaf. The P65+ seemed midway between 56MP and 80MP Leaf in image quality. Apart from the iPhone interface there is no change in image quality between P+ series and IQ if I understand correct.

I hope above helps, and I would also recommend you to have a look at the Leaf Aptus II 12. It has same sensor as IQ180 and an image quality very much same as IQ180 but a slight different implementation. The image quality is superb and better than IQ160. The back is also cheaper that IQ160 I believe, but mind you is not any a budget back! I can say that I am very pleased with Leaf and having a very close and careful look can be very worthwhile for you. The IQ interface looks nice, but for the premium in price I decided for me no way it made sense. Of course for my Leaf files I use Capture One which works superbly. You may wish to ask yourself the same, unless you have the money to easily spend on this level.

Best regards,
Anders

2jbourret

Thanks Anders. I have decided that the IQ interface is well worth it to me, since I shoot at least 85% of the time with the Cambo, and I want the convenience of the display for checking focus. That alone is almost worth the price of admission to me.

2jbourret

After carefully considering everything that was said here (thank you) and doing my own testing on raw images from the 160 and 180 provided by Steve Hendrix, I made my decision in favor of the 180. In the process, I've come up with image circle diagrams that seem to describe the usable shifts for the Schneider 35xl and 47xl, and by extension, sever other lenses with similar image circles. I'll refine these after doing more testing with once I receive the back, but they seem to come close to describing what is possible with each of the lenses.

I'd be curious to see if these correspond with what others here have found.

Cheers,

dchew

I'd be curious to see if these correspond with what others here have found.
Jamie,
I have the 43xl but not the other two. For the 43 I would say your diagrams are pretty close, maybe a bit too conservative. 12 and 15mm are good limits for unforgiving subjects; you might often get away with a few mm more, assuming you use the center filters.

Dave